Country
    Singapore

Hand me downs...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day to everyone!

I am new to the hobby but since a friend of mine from the office is relocating, I was able to get the following for free.

- small tank about 22x19x24 cm.
    - small filter that is attached to the tank
    - less that 1W LED light
    - tank cover, mat

This used to house his turtle before. I bought an anti-chlorine solution and hope these items would get me started this weekend for a fish only tank.

Will be needing help from the masters here as i choose to go to the shrimp-fissiden moss set-up.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hand me downs...

Welcome to AQ!

Curious, what kind of turtle can survive in a 22 cm tank? juvenile RES?

If you are keeping plants, the lights will need to be "focused beam" to reach the bottom of the 24 cm height tank. also, the plants you can grown will be limited to low light plants like mosses and ferns like you mentioned.

the rule of thumb for me is fish and shrimps don't go well together, unless you have NEA inspectors telling you that you are creating a haven for mosquitos.

So choose between fish only or shrimp only.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the welcome!

Yup you're correct, a young red-eared turtle.

I am using this tank to learn the curves as I totally am not familiar with the hobby then will buy appropriate tanks and equipment when I'm ready to try my shrimp-moss set-up.

Thankfull I have you guys as advisers, then i would somewhat minimize my mistakes in the future.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. starting small is a good way to start. perhaps can start with a moss wall and some simple shrimp soil for the base. no need for plants on the base of the tank.

If you are interested in scaping, can try a small iwagumi or rock scape.

Most importantly have fun watching the shrimps do their shrimpie thing.

Instead of shrimps you can opt for some smaller fishes like boraras. should a wonderful fauna for your tank.

CHeers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think the iwagumi tanks that i saw on the internet led me to this hobby. So simple yet so difficult to achieve especially for a newbie like me.

Then you get this feeling of "if they can do it, so can I" thing until you fail miserably but it is worth a try.

Thanks for the tips. Those colorful fishes will do for the mean time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Since this tank was used as a turtle tank before, I'd advise you to rinse it down and scrub it well before sunning it dry. Problem with turtles is that they are host to all sorts of bacteria. Do the same for the filter as well. The tank is quite small but you can do a lot of wonders with such a tank, since it's in the nano category. If you like Iwagumi or rock-work tanks, spend some time looking for the right-sized rocks, likewise for other scapes.

Due to the size of your tank, you are limited in choice of livestock for the tank. Majority of people with nano tanks would go for a few small fish like Neon Tetras and Boraras. Between Neon Tetras and Boraras, I would suggest Neon Tetra, say a group of six fish, because they are more adaptable to dry foods like flake and pellets. Boraras take some coaxing and patience to adapt them to dry foods.

Also, please take the time to cycle your tank. With less water volume you have a smaller margin of error, so take note of this before adding in your fish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the encouragement and tips stormhawk and eric. I did wash the tank and filter last night because it is quite filthy. I also bought an anti bacterial solution that i mixed with the water, hope thats enough to kill the unwanted bacteria. Sad to say, there are no boraras left in the lps near me (cck). Will ask for the neo tetra.

My son is so excited with the set-up that he is now asking me to buy the fishes hehe. Will i get a bashing from guys here if i give in to my son's request, buy some fishes now even if the tank has not cycled yet? I was able to set it up last night.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raidenpierce View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips stormhawk and eric. I did wash the tank and filter last night because it is quite filthy. I also bought an anti bacterial solution that i mixed with the water, hope thats enough to kill the unwanted bacteria. Sad to say, there are no boraras left in the lps near me (cck). Will ask for the neo tetra.

My son is so excited with the set-up that he is now asking me to buy the fishes hehe. Will i get a bashing from guys here if i give in to my son's request, buy some fishes now even if the tank has not cycled yet? I was able to set it up last night.
    No bashing from me. But if the fishes don't survive.... You have to deal with a sad son and wasted $$$.

In the long run, it's a better aquarium experience with a cycled tank I believe.

That said, you can most certainly get 1 fish for cycling. Make sure to keep up with water changes to keep ammonia low for a non cycled tank.

Some aquarium keepers wlill hate me for using fish for cycling. But....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I gave in to my son's wish, bought neon tetras. We were delighted with the outcome that my son slept 12 midnight just looking at the tank. As of today, they are still alive and schooling! Maybe the small amount of pebbles and mineral balls given by my officemate from his tank in the office helped a lot with the bacteria thing. So far, so good.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I gave in to my son's wish, bought neon tetras. We were delighted with the outcome that my son slept 12 midnight just looking at the tank. As of today, they are still alive and schooling! Maybe the small amount of pebbles and mineral balls given by my officemate from his tank in the office helped a lot with the bacteria thing. So far, so good.

Don't let him see the arowanas!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will have him visit a bigger shop with me and have him drool over those fishes...easier to convince my wife for an upgrade

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I will have him visit a bigger shop with me and have him drool over those fishes...easier to convince my wife for an upgrade
    NICE. did not think of that. can borrow your son for a while? i need to convince my wife for an upgrade as well.
    LOL..