Country
    Singapore

Re-scaped 3ft Iwagumi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

After a year, decided to re-scaped my previous 3ft iwagumi. Here is the new layout.
    Planning to plant Elatine Hydropiper only and would only be keeping Cardinal Tetras (probably about 50?) together with Otos and SAEs.
    Would love to hear comments on the layout.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Re-scaped 3ft Iwagumi

Nice looking hardscape!

Whats the soil depth? the root system for hydropiper would take about 1.5 - 2 inches. Also i feel that on the right side, can do with less soil. your intent is to create a gentle slope down the right side correct? if so, i will shift more soil to the left from the onstart, as i plant, i push to the right.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Nice looking hardscape!

Whats the soil depth? the root system for hydropiper would take about 1.5 - 2 inches. Also i feel that on the right side, can do with less soil. your intent is to create a gentle slope down the right side correct? if so, i will shift more soil to the left from the onstart, as i plant, i push to the right.
    Thanks!

Actually the substrate measures at 2inches all round, minimally. So maybe you think I should bank higher on the left side?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its up to you, its a habit of mine to plant and push soil all in one direction rather plunging it, pushing out soil in all directions. what i meant by that is when i plant, the tweezer goes in from the left, when i lift off the tweezer i straighten it and pull out. this pushes soil to the right. i do that for all the planting, causing soil to flow to one side.

Did not look carefully at the picture, realised that i should have been able to tell the depth by looking at the side glass.. haha.. 2 inches sounds about right.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Its up to you, its a habit of mine to plant and push soil all in one direction rather plunging it, pushing out soil in all directions. what i meant by that is when i plant, the tweezer goes in from the left, when i lift off the tweezer i straighten it and pull out. this pushes soil to the right. i do that for all the planting, causing soil to flow to one side.

Did not look carefully at the picture, realised that i should have been able to tell the depth by looking at the side glass.. haha.. 2 inches sounds about right.
    Haha, Thanks!

I did consider banking higher on the left side, but did not want to open another pack of 9L substrate as if used the whole pack of 9L, then too high already, so left it to be. Lolz.

By the way, thanks for the comments and planting technique! Am excited and looking forward to planting, flooding, waiting for plants to carpet out and filling with fishes already!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looks good! But i think the small stump in the middle kind of robs abit of focus from the main rock just behind

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i agreed with sfk7 the small rock in the front center is taking away the the focal point.
    Maybe move it away to the left or right so that it is not too center.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks sfk7 and zerofighterx101 for the advice. Will see how I can relocate that rock or either to remove it totally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was just thinking. If after planting and it carpets out, would that centre pieced rock be reduces in size slightly and thus focus will be reduced?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes the greens will reduce the size of the rock slightly. I feel that the rock should be in place as where it is right now as when removed, it will leave a gap where there is nothing, helping to shift the focus to the main rock, but feels off balanced due to the empty space created.

It will be good if you replace the main rock with a bigger rock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by e[V]o|ut|on View Post
    I was just thinking. If after planting and it carpets out, would that centre pieced rock be reduces in size slightly and thus focus will be reduced?
    Your forground plant thickness at most would be 2cm before it below part start to rot and the whole thing float up. Everything will be reduce by ~2cm, thus relatively your focus point will stay the same.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks all for the advice.

well, i guess there a few ways to reduce focus on the smaller rock in the centre. One, is to shift that small rock further back thus creating the illusion that it is much smaller than what it is right now. Two, bring forward the main big rock, again thus creating the illusion that it is a much bigger rock that it is right now. Alternatively, maybe change the direction of that small centred rock as well?

I do not have any more bigger rocks already, that main rock was the biggest i had and i do also agree that if i were to remove or shift that small centred rock, there seem to be a "void" in that area where it is right now. Thus, despite noting the valuable advice from you guys, I feel quite reluctant to remove that piece, not sure what else i can do to shift the focus off that small centred rock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 20

Just an update, it is now day 24 of my tank. These photos were taken on day 20 though.

Planted HC instead of the initial plan to plant Hydropiper as no stock. CO2 was initially pumped at around 5bps but have since reduced to 3bps as have added Otos, Amano shrimps, SAEs and nerite snails. Daily dosing of ADA brighty-k, brighty shades as well as excel flourish. You can also see some pearling effect.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice update! Great to see it coming to smoothly so far. You planted quite densely in the beginning?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, i planted quite densely actually. I just realised i didn't take any photos on Day 0, right after planting and flooding was done. My apologies!

This photo was taken on Day 12. Not sure if you can actually see how dense the planting was.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow your rock scape is really nice! Once the HC fully carpets it'll be simply stunning! Cardinal tetras? I suggest 100 green neons. They stay small and will make your scape look even bigger. Did the amano shrimps dig up the HC?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a question, can I ask why are you dosing brighty shades instead of lights? You can try dosing green brighty step 1 as well

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As a matter of fact, yes the amanos are biting off the hc but its good trimming as well so i have lesser work. Haha.

I am planning to put in diamond head tetras, galaxy rasboras and furcatus but not to the extend of 100. Most likely around 50 total.

Actually my brighty shades are leftover from previous scape which i planted repens.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually i find green neon a little similar to cardinal tetras and had already kept cardinals in the previous scape so wanted something new. Hence, chose diamond head tetra, galaxy and furcatus.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How's your nerite snails doing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast