Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Which pH measurement kit to use for ADA Aqual Soil?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Which pH measurement kit to use for ADA Aqual Soil?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    First time using ADA Aqual Soil with Power Sand and Bectar100 in my 4 footer.

Sera pH kit doesn't seems to work for me. It measured ~pH5.0. I think it is due to the Power Sand/Aqual Soil that bring down the pH because I only put 1+ bps for my CO2. I'm thinking of increasing the CO2 injection but was bothered by the pH measurement.

Any advise are welcome. I'm looking for a titration method rather than a pH probe (expensive :P ) unless I have no choice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry :P need to clarify that I'm looking for a solution of how to know the CO2 cencentration in my case.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try doing the difference method. It might work.

Take the pH without CO2 and the pH when saturated. At 20ppm, the difference should be around 1.6pH. My concern is at 5pH now, you need to drive it down to maybe 4pH....I am afraid your fishes might not take it. And since I don't use ADA, I do not know if it works.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks geoffrey. I have also thought about this method but i was having the same concern as you do about the fish although only have a few fishes inside at the moment.

I'm thinking of doing some water change at the end of the week to see if it helps to bring down the pH.

Not sure if any members here who uses ADA have this kind of experience. Care to share more light for me?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Keep a close eye on the KH and GH values with ADA aquasoil for the begining stages as the peat effect will lower both the KH and GH. Add them back if necessary. Try to maintain at least 3dKH for the KH and 3-5 for the GH.

The pH would not be that low with a KH of 3 or more...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, have you consider this?

1. Take tap water - treat it.
    2. Use Ocean Free PH-Down to push it to PH 3/4 to your liking.
    3. Adjust to a high KH, say 8.

This should be okay until the next water change. So even if there is CO2 injection, the high KH should maintain the PH for 2 to 3 weeks or even 4 depending on rate of injection.

Most fish will go very very soft once PH reach 5. u need to witness this to know what I mean.

Mi Humble non-chemistry 2 cents.
    ========================
    For PH Test Kit, try Aquarium Phamaceutical Inc PH Test kit. Cost abt $10 from Aqua Star - YiShun.

I got the entire range of test kits from it. GH/KH...whatever H...blar blar. Then again, I am not a chemistry person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I have notice the KH drops to 2-3. Thanks for enlightening me that I need to keep the pH stable by maintaining a higher KH. I have Sera KH/GH which can raise the KH/GH. I will use tat to maintain the KH ~3.

I have also did some water change to bring the pH back to ~6.0 Hopefully, maintaining a KH of 3 will prevent the situation to get worst.