1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Problems with High KH water and algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My tank is currently about 1 month old. Need advice on the below.

Problems I am facing:
    -Excessive green hair algae
    -Red plants (Rotala) turn green easily
    -High KH level
    -Yamato shrimps and snails die within few days
    -APP plant does not seem to carpet

I tested my water and here are the measurements:

KH 8 drops (~143ppm)
    PH 6.8

In addition, I have lots of rocks (~25kg) in my tank and am using Maxspect Light (about 80-100% on for 8 hours). I am also using Excel, Potassium and Iron. Co2 is about 3 bubbles per sec.

Am wondering, is it due to the nature of water and rocks that are causing my livestock to be dying. My light is rather strong, yet APP will still wither and grow taller in well lit area.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Problems with High KH water and algae

Too much light, did you hang your razor or stand mount?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

First question come to my mind, is the tank cycle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

does cycled tank stablize KH?
    I also tested my KH and it is different.
    KH of tap water is 3-4 drop (using API). ph 7.2.

But 2 tanks which is going for 1month plus has very different KH. one is 7 drops but the other is only 3 drops.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tcg170980 View Post
    does cycled tank stablize KH?
    It is a short question but it is too long for me to explain. Here is an article that can explain it better and clearer.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html

one of the reason why your yamato shrimps die might be your tank is not fully cycle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's hanging and is at least 15cm above water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What aquasoil are you using?

With your higher kH and pH levels, i'm assuming you are using either sand or inert gravel as your substrate?

Maybe you should dose a more complete fertilizer combination to ensure that there is no nutrient limitation to the plants, it could be due to certain deficiencies that cause some of them to not grow as well, especially with the strong amount of lights you are using, which allows the algae to grow faster. Also check the circulation too, sometimes if certain plants don't get enough flow the nutrients and Co2 can't get to them to grow properly
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 28th Dec 2013 at 14:26.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From what i see, your problems all stem from the KH level. (assuming the KH level is accurate)

Shrimp would not do well with KH that high
    And with high KH, dissolution of CO2 is minimal. Which in turn means plants will not do well.

Solve the KH issue first. One of the causes of high KH could be the gravel, or any coral chips if you are using.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks..I am using Ada aquaoil. I do not dare to dose too much fertilizer, afraid it will aid the algae growth. I placed the inlet and outlet separately at both ends. My co2 is with my outlet. Not sure if this is the reason which restricts lower co2 to be circulated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yah my KH is very high and prolly tank is not cycle enough yet. It should be due to my rocks Since I not using any gravel or coral Chips. does high KH promote algae as well?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow... that's strange, usually with ADA aquasoil the kH will be 0 or 1, and the pH hovering in the low 6.0 when cycling, after cycled the pH will usually stabilize at around 6.4-6.6.

Since you are not using any additional buffers, i guess the rocks you are using are really pushing up the kH and pH.

Any photos of your tank? It would be interesting to see the type of rocks you're using, and the ratio of them vs the volume of your tank.

Fertilizer-wise, since you are using ADA aquasoil, you could just dose an all-in-one trace fertilizer solution to help replenish the range of micro nutrients which are usually used up quicker than macro nutrients (trace ferts don't contribute as much to algae issues).

I think your algae issues are due more to the tank still cycling and the parameters still fluctuating, along with lots of ammonia being released by the soil and the plants still trying to establish, all that combined with very strong lights which is easily taken advantage of by algae.

You could try reducing the intensity of your lights and find the optimal level, once the plants establish and increase their mass, then increase the light intensity progressively to match their growth. The MaxSpect lights intensity can be adjusted, so it will be easy for you to tweak it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with UA on the ADA soil. can double verify the KH readings?
    I once thought my water KH is very high.. but then i realised its the test kit thats faulty, causing the wrong reading.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

20131218_2134156.jpg
    Not sure if you can see the attached picture. I got lush grow micro, is it just use this Instead of potassium, iron,excel etc?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From the scale of the equipment and plants compared to the tank, it looks like a 2ft tank?

The rock layout is nice and the amount is actually okay, just have to consider that if you are using 25kg of rocks, it also takes up around 25 liters of space in the tank, so there is less space for water and with a high ratio of rocks vs water volume, that will gradually tend to increase kH, GH, pH, TDS over time.

The current plant density and mass in your tank is very low at the moment, so all the high power from your MaxSpect light is probably too much... try reducing the intensity to control algae growth.

Just for reference, i use just one unit of the Up Aqua Z-Series LED light that is only rated at 20+ watts (it's LEDs have way less power and intensity compared to MaxSpect) in my 2ft tank which has fully established dense plant mass and it's already more than sufficient to maintain healthy plant growth with minimal algae.

You can dose LushGro micro as the trace ferts. Potassium should also still be dosed to aid in plant growth and nutrient take up. Dosing additional iron would be optional in this case (since LushGro micro already has iron content)... excel is a carbon supplement so it can also still be dosed to complement your Co2 injection.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 29th Dec 2013 at 14:47.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's a 3feet tank. Thanks for your advice. I have reduced the light intensity now and made my weekly water changes. Will do another KH reading tomorrow again. Hopefully my plants will grow well once my tank is fully cycled.