Images
    Country
    Singapore

Flourish dosing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i just calculated that by using Seachem Flourish, the Fe levels in it is way too high already. so how do i go about dosing my N, P and K?

is it better for me to use Lushgro Aqua instead?
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Not sure what you mean by too high.
    Too high means you are wasting it, but otherwise I do not know what too high levels of Fe are.

Testing Fe is a huge issue and wrought with many issues.

Best to add volumetrically over a prescribved time peroid(a rate).

Eg:

mls/day, or mls/2-3days etc

This is much more consistent rate of dosing than trying to use a test measurement.

That introduces error.

The indirect method to determine if you have enough traces:
    Get the other variables correct in the range you want them, CO2/Light/NPK, GH etc.

Then add say 2mls per 20 gal every 2 days, note plant health and growth over at least a 3 week peroid.
    Add 3mls the following 3 week peroid, keep raising the the dosing volume until no improvement in growth is noted.

Traces will be subtle so a careful eye is needed and a careful control of the other nutrients while you determine this.

For flourish at a a light level of 5.5 w/gal of PC's, I found every other day 5mls /20 gal was the max the tank would need.

You can add this much but your tank will probably use less than this.
    But your tank will not run out of any traces with that dosage.
    2-3x a week at 5mls/20 gal works well for most CO2 enriched tanks.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but adding 2-3ml 2-3x a week will yield a 0.6801 Fe ppm. will that encourage algae growth? im getting hair algae and beard algae infestation now.
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No. You would not if you keep the CO2 and macros in range.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the problem is my macros dosing is not sufficient by dosing Flourish alone. so am i to get Lushgro Aqua? or those powder form?
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Traces by themselves will not induce algae.

What is happening is that you have a macro nutrient issue.
    I know it might seem like a cause and effect with the traces, but this is not the case.

You will solve your algae issues and have dramatically better plant growth if you go down the line of relative % of nutrients that makes up a plant.

Carbon is 40% + of the dry weight, so CO2 is critical.
    CO2 issues cause roughly 90% of algae related problems and virtually all BBA issues andf many hair algae problems as well.

Next on the list is NO3. KNO3 dosing and water changes can dial this in to about + or - to 1ppm. Generally there's an excess of K+ when using this so we took care of that nutrient also.

GH, the Ca and Mg generally are present in most tap water, if not, adding some will help.

PO4 is next

Then when all that is in good shape, then you can play around with the Traces.

Many winning tanks here use crazy amounts of traces(I added 2ppm or more back in the 1990's) and I started this several years ago and put to bed the myth that traces causes algae. If your tank reacts that way, then there is room for improvement and further tweaking n your routine/set up.

This will help the tank a great deal and allow you a much easier time with your dosing routines, and it'll solve most all of your algae problems allowing you to focus on plant health and gardening which is why you do this hobby, not to fight algae.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so to sum up everything now..

first, i have to take care of my no3 ppm in my tank by means of powder? or can i just use lushgro aqua to take care of it?

second, i need to get my co2 levels high. which is done already. its maintained at 25ppm

thirdly, i need to get my K and P in level?
    Founder of theWaterBox