Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my dwarf cichlid spawned

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi there. a pair of my dwarf cichlid spawned and i'm seeing free swimming fries in the community tank now. the dwarf cichlid looks like this:

(looks like it's the hybrid that you guys discssed a few weeks ago)
    the red arrow indicates the spawning cave. but now, the riccia has overgrown and is floating up. in other words the cave is exposed. (hope you get what i mean) the parents are terrorising the whole tank! chasing every fish 10" away from the fries. so now, i need you guys to help me decide... to take the fries out or not? i know the fries are safe now cos 1) the parents are very aggresive 2) they can hide into the netting used to tie the riccia down.

will try to take more pics later in the day.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think leaving them in there is a better way... will be difficult for u to catch the frys out... if the cave is too exposed, the mother will move the frys somewhere safer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    took some pics of the female tending to the fries.

can see some fries in this pic.. see if you are observant enough.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its really opened... hopefully the mother is move them away soon... what kinda fishes u have in there?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/17/2002 2:26:47 PM

its really opened... hopefully the mother is move them away soon... what kinda fishes u have in there?
    ----------------
    i have discus, angelfish, apistos, bleeding hearts, cardinal and i think the figure of 8 pose the greatest danger. i don't see the mother moving the fries anywhere... one of the fries just swam out into the open. luckily he saw the mother and swam back to the 'cave' b4 he was eaten up. do you suggest giving them bbs? using dropper to feed them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, great threat in yr tank.. quite impossible for u to remove the frys though.. ya, use bbs or liquid fry food

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    congrats and let nature take its course.

if you want to keep the frys next time perhaps you can do some planning beforehand.

you have less than 1 months time approx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey i saw the eggs =)
    Remember this, 3days to hatch or to be excate 60hrs and after 9days of caring from the mother, the fry are left alone to defend from themselves. Don't get too excited and keep starting at the parents.(they may think u wanna eat them.

I'm not an expert here to say anything but removing of your fry is totally a nono suitation due to the fact that you might leave some fry uncaught cos they are really tiny.

Any questions pls do do ask us we are very happy that your apisto bred =) ALL THE WAY!!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah i guess i will have to leave the fries in the tank. i'm doing NS and have no time to take good care of them. let's hope the parents can do miracles. how do i feed the liquid fry food to them? same as bbs? with dropper? where and which to get? when will they be able to take bbs? they looked quite small now and are picking on algae on the riccia net.

benetay: oh no.. i have been staring at them for like half a day today. hope they don't get mistaken.

anything else to take note of?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just don't stress them, you can actually feed yr fry BBS from day 1 when mummy brings them out to serch for food, yes the fry do peck on algae, i've seen it myself =) Don't have to worry too much. I'm using the Nobil JBL liquid food they do work wonders too =) THX LSZ can't forget u reconmended me that when i had my first spawn =)

Just don't stress the fish =) Since yr Apisto did spawn in yr community tank you can roughly say that the fry will reach adult hood. Apisto parents will breed as normal but when they feel that the water condition is bad or when the youngs cannot reach adult hood, the parents will eat away the eggs.

don't worry , but love to see a closer pic of yr fry =)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this may sound weird, but a dirty tank or a tank with lotsa debris on the gravel is good for the frys

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thats what we analyse...
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/17/2002 7:09:42 PM

they do work wonders too =) THX LSZ can't forget u reconmended me that when i had my first spawn =)

----------------
    haha welcome.
    i am sure you will have success with several other species too.

I'm planning to spawn my pair of golden dwarf cichlids. Would one of them clay-looking spawning caves made by arista, sold in LFS work for them in a bare 2' tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can try a flower pot... those super small clay pot will do great

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    update:
    took PM off today and came back to see the fries. the mother is bringing the fries to explore around the driftwood. along the way picking on the riccia net. oh yah.. all of the riccia went floating yesterday.. it's up to the mother to protect the fries already cos there is little riccia left for cover. as usual any intruder will get chased away by the mother.
    i looked at the apisto breeding section at The Krib and found out that it's better to leave some light on so that the mother can protect the fries more easily. so that's what i did last night.
    the brine shrimp i prepared yesterday haven't hatch.... hope nothing goes wrong.

ok. now the questions... where do i get the JBL liquid food? can't find it at C328 and 2 LFS near my house. only saw the liquidfry No1 and No2 food. oh yah.. my tank is kind of dirty so i guess the fries can find food everywhere... but want them to grow up faster leh. kiasu lah

after reading The Krib.. i have a sudden urge to set up a breeding tank just for a species of apisto. anyone know where to find dry leaves (ketapang?) that are suitable to put inside a tank?

vican: you can try reading the apisto breeding section of The Krib. really informative. read from there that the golden dwarf Nannacara anomala is quite easy to breed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    congrats!!! welcome to the world of Apisto I observe even if u dun feed the frys, they will still grow but at a very slow rate.. (ps. I cant feed the frys in my 6ft)

benetay has written an article on how light affects the fry.. u shld go read it.. for ketapang leave, u gotta ask those who use them.. i noe u can find them along changi area, along the airport area

for JBL nobil, u can try havelock

me now, using those small plastic tank to house and breed diff species of apisto

[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    go to apistomania website will be found under the cichlid section. You will get your answers there.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast