Country
    Singapore

Is this a mouth infection?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone

I recently bought a group of 6 serpae tetras and have quarantined them because some of them have white spots on their bodies, which I believe is ich. I've also noticed strange white growth from some of their mouths. In the attachment below, the tetra on the right has the most obvious white growth on its mouth. Is this an infection of some sort, or could it be an injury? I noticed that they like to nip among themselves sometimes so perhaps this one got injured this way?

At the moment, the fishes are in a quarantine tank with a sponge filter and I've added aquarium salt to the water. I do a 20% water change daily, focusing on siphoning out the waste at the bottom of the tank. So far, the fishes have been active and eating very well (they go into some kind of frenzy at feeding times). Please advise me on whether the white growth is an infection and if so, what should I do? Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is this a mouth infection?

It loks like fungus growth. Since your fish are in a quarantine tank. Maybe try adding some anti-fungus treatment. From the picture, the tetras look like they have fin rot too. With so many outbreaks at once, it is quite possible water quality is causing this. Is your tank cycled and established? In my experience all tetras need very good water quality to be healthy. Sometimes the fish are already unhealthy when bought and the journey from LFS to home tank caused stress which caused the outbreaks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Crap I'm wrong Mouth fungus is caused by bacteria too and so is fin rot. Looks like the nipping opened up wounds for bacteria infection.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...on/fungus.aspx

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi GHD97

I only got them from the LFS about 4 days ago and they were in this condition. Unfortunately, I didn't take a close look before buying. There were a lot of them in the tank and it was really difficult to get one of these buggers into the net! I noticed the fins too. The one in the photo is in the worst condition of the lot. The good thing is that they're all still eating well and not showing any obvious signs of distress.

From what I understand, ich is caused by parasites so anti-bacterial treatments won't help? So I'll have to deal with the ich first before I can address the mouth and fin problems?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Treating diseased fish with chemicals always add more stress to the fish. Recovery is not easy unless one is very experienced. That's why when I see a few of my fish having any disease, I will be prepared to discard them, sad of course.

About serpae tetras, I bought 10 last time and they were good and healthy with perfect fins. But after some one or two of them damaged the others' fins by nipping, I hate such behavior in fish.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Unmarked

I wouldn't worry too much about Ich. If your tank is healthy, clean water and warm enough(In SG, no worries) Ich is easily cured. Just vacuum the tank bottom thouroughly every 2 days. It will remove the Ich before they complete a stage in their life cycle. Once Ich is gone good water conditions are a fool proof prevention as well as treatment to all infections

I agree with tetrakid. The medicines are often very strong and many of them are cancerous to humans, obviously they can't be too good for fish. If your fish are feeding and well, keep good water conditions and the fish may recover from their probably hellish and overcrowded experience in the fish shop

All the best and good luck I love all tetras^^ hope they recover ASAP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do try to feed them healthily Vitamins like orange pulp, grated apple, piece of boiled carrot or spinach These will boost their immune systems too^^ if these are troublesome, C328 sells Tetra gel food that contains bloodworms, krill and added vitamins I do trust Tetra brand of products^^