Country
    Singapore

Beginner setup 3 FT tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I am new to planted tank, even thought I have gold fish tank in the past. I have read about planted tanks here or other forums or books and there are so much information. Luckily I like science so it does help in understanding all those information.

I just got my tank from N30. It is LWH is 90 x 32 x 45 cm. I will mark this post as a journey for my setup from the very beginning, i am excited and hope gurus here can share some help.

So now, before i go for the equipment that i am going to purchase, i will need to decide either low tech or high tech. For me the decision is more into maintenance during oversea, as i go oversea 2-3 times for about 2 weeks in a year. Appreciate if someone can inform me whether high tech tank can survive 2 weeks without maintenance/fertilizer etc, even though light co2 can use timer. If the answer is no, then I will go to low tech tank.

Current Equipment in place:
    - Tank
    - Filter Eheim ecco pro 300

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beginner setup 3 FT tanks

2weeks may be a stretch. Depending on your fert regime and plants. My high tech tank requires weekly water change and ferts injection twice a week. Furthermore, if you are using fans even trickier. Unless you are going to go with chiller.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I suggest you go low tech. Less problem. Just grow slower.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks! Too bad i cant edit the earlier post as it will be neater if i do so and easier for others to read, as i want this thread to be useful as well for others newbie like me.

It is decided to go for low tech due to the number overseas and its duration that i have on yearly basis.

I have read a lot that as a guideline for low tech, it is suggested to never go beyond 2 wpg or so depending on the type of lights. My tank is about 30 gallons, so needs to find something with less than 64 watts as a basic rule. I have explore online shop, most of 90 cm length lights are 72 Watts and above. If I only use one light, there is a chance that it might lack of lights. One of the candidate that I have in mind is LED Up Aqua Z series LED 32 W (don't think the wpg rule app, or ODYSSEA - Dual Pro DP90/100 (2x39W T5HO) Light Set (use one 39 Watt only). Any suggestion is welcome, as light is kinda for confusing for low tech in my opinion.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mylica View Post
    Thanks! Too bad i cant edit the earlier post as it will be neater if i do so and easier for others to read, as i want this thread to be useful as well for others newbie like me.

It is decided to go for low tech due to the number overseas and its duration that i have on yearly basis.

I have read a lot that as a guideline for low tech, it is suggested to never go beyond 2 wpg or so depending on the type of lights. My tank is about 30 gallons, so needs to find something with less than 64 watts as a basic rule. I have explore online shop, most of 90 cm length lights are 72 Watts and above. If I only use one light, there is a chance that it might lack of lights. One of the candidate that I have in mind is LED Up Aqua Z series LED 32 W (don't think the wpg rule app, or ODYSSEA - Dual Pro DP90/100 (2x39W T5HO) Light Set (use one 39 Watt only). Any suggestion is welcome, as light is kinda for confusing for low tech in my opinion.

Thanks
    hi there, my tank's roughly 30 gallons as well (2x1.5x1.5ft) Im currently using 2 clip on dymax lightset. Each powers up a 14 Watts PL lightbulb, bring total wattage to 28W. If you planning low tech (i.e. moss), i think more than sufficient. My tank only has moss in it and its thriving well with the shrimps. lol

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, high tech tanks with Co2 injection and strong lights need consistent and regular fertilizer dosing, if you skip fertilizer dosing for even a week, the system becomes unbalanced and nutrients become the limiting factor (plants will be nutrient deficient and stop photosynthesizing, then algae will take over).

Low tech is a good idea if you foresee week long periods of time away from home, you can leave it alone and it'll still look okay when you are back.

The Up Aqua Z-Series Z-30 (90cm) lightset would be suitable... though it's efficiency depends on the height of your tank, if it is around 30-36cm height, it will do well. If your tank height is 45cm tall or more, it may not have enough depth penetration to provide sufficient light to the lowest substrate level plants.

That being said, if you are going really low-tech and only keeping plants like moss, anubias and java ferns, then even 45cm or tall height tank also can also use the Up Aqua Z-Series lights, the reduced light intensity at depth might even be beneficial as there will be a lower chance of the substrate level plants developing algae on their slow-growing leaves too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    hi there, my tank's roughly 30 gallons as well (2x1.5x1.5ft) Im currently using 2 clip on dymax lightset. Each powers up a 14 Watts PL lightbulb, bring total wattage to 28W. If you planning low tech (i.e. moss), i think more than sufficient. My tank only has moss in it and its thriving well with the shrimps. lol
    Thanks Diazman, this is a new idea, of using 2 clip of lightset. Just afraid the clips might create tension to the glass since it is multiple clips, specially on 3 feets, but glass is 10 mm, guess should be alright.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, high tech tanks with Co2 injection and strong lights need consistent and regular fertilizer dosing, if you skip fertilizer dosing for even a week, the system becomes unbalanced and nutrients become the limiting factor (plants will be nutrient deficient and stop photosynthesizing, then algae will take over).

Low tech is a good idea if you foresee week long periods of time away from home, you can leave it alone and it'll still look okay when you are back.

The Up Aqua Z-Series Z-30 (90cm) lightset would be suitable... though it's efficiency depends on the height of your tank, if it is around 30-36cm height, it will do well. If your tank height is 45cm tall or more, it may not have enough depth penetration to provide sufficient light to the lowest substrate level plants.

That being said, if you are going really low-tech and only keeping plants like moss, anubias and java ferns, then even 45cm or tall height tank also can also use the Up Aqua Z-Series lights, the reduced light intensity at depth might even be beneficial as there will be a lower chance of the substrate level plants developing algae on their slow-growing leaves too.
    Thanks urban, i read your web before and it provides good information. I just take a look at the Up Aqua series bracket. I know how set it up for open aquarium, but mine is open top hood, cant find how to clip the bracket to the glass. zzz..... didnt think about this

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

since you are new to planted tank, I would recommend to do low-medium tech tank. You can start with 2x39, you can always turn of one of the light if necessary. If budget allow, do inject CO2, it will help a the plant grow even though it low tech.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mylica View Post
    Thanks urban, i read your web before and it provides good information. I just take a look at the Up Aqua series bracket. I know how set it up for open aquarium, but mine is open top hood, cant find how to clip the bracket to the glass. zzz..... didnt think about this
    Open top hood? Okay, then i guess you'll need to find other lightsets which can be used with those tank designs, or maybe do some DIY with plastic brackets to customize it to fit.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    since you are new to planted tank, I would recommend to do low-medium tech tank. You can start with 2x39, you can always turn of one of the light if necessary. If budget allow, do inject CO2, it will help a the plant grow even though it low tech.
    Thanks! I read your blog too. Like your setup. I will decide the light by tomorrow, and can move on to next items

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

3ft tank, its a pity to limit yourself to Anubias and Java Fern. I'm sure Crypts will do well in your tank.

My 2ft tank is a sort of a "not really" hightech tank because I have a lot of 'easy' plants including stem plants and use much less CO2 (1bps) and shorter lighting period (4.5hrs a day) than other hightech tanks.

Water change is not an issue for me, I change water fortnightly so 2 week holiday not an issue where water change is concern.
    For fertilisation, may be an issue, I may ask a relative to come in and dose for me on day 8 (I've gone on 1 week holiday, my tank survived for 7 days so only need to dose on day 8 . I'll probably shorten the photo period even more to something like 3 hours a day.

My way of combating algae is to count on plants like Hygrophilia Polysperma (which is considered a nuisance weed) to compete effectively against the algae during my absence... but when i come back, I'll probably have a lot of trimming to do...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

You should go for high tech, when you go for holiday, just switch it to low tech, low tech??? Lower down the light to 4hr instead of the 8hr, you can easily get away with this. Cos I go for holiday few times in a year also.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    You should go for high tech, when you go for holiday, just switch it to low tech, low tech??? Lower down the light to 4hr instead of the 8hr, you can easily get away with this. Cos I go for holiday few times in a year also.
    mmm.... i have been thinking bout that too, but will I able to avoid the fertilizer regime for 2 weeks?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

The day you go for holiday, dose more Potassium, plant basically need potassium to create photosynthesis, the rest of the ferts can get thru with fish food(auto fish feeder). Do remember you already switch to low tech from high tech, if you have chiller it would be even better.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    The day you go for holiday, dose more Potassium, plant basically need potassium to create photosynthesis, the rest of the ferts can get thru with fish food(auto fish feeder). Do remember you already switch to low tech from high tech, if you have chiller it would be even better.
    Thanks! will take this for future consideration.

For now, i have decided that i will go with low tech setup first, and for the light I will go with T5HO ODYSSEA 2x39 Watt but will on one bulb only (going to seaview later for light and some accesories). Hopefully today i can list down the plants that i want to get and next item to choose will be substrate.

I don't think ADA soil will be suitable, any suggestion for the substrate? I noticed that people put few layer with some nutrient, bacter powder as well. Is it needed for low tech? Based on what i know i can leave all those item.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are working on Anubias and Java ferns, then you don't really need much of those substrate any will do since these plants usually you will put them on driftwood or stones.

However, if you plan to add crypts then ADA soil is a good option. Just note that they tend to leech Ammonia at the beginning, water change is a must until stable.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Aqua Z series is okay, I've been using it for a year with no problem. Although it may not stretch to the btm if too deep

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk
    Always there to help even if i can't i'll try my best to

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I share the same sentiments with erwinx and blue33. Adding on, you might want to plan when is the best time to begin your new setup before you next holiday. For me personally Jan and Feb are my "busy" months where my hands start to get itchy to change the scape on my 3ft. The tank should mature and peak in time for my holiday in June. This usually happens in late April or at the start of May. It really depends on your choice of plants and to limiting yourself to Anubias and Java ferns, just doesn't sound like much fun 😆

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haiz... all odyssea 3 ft 2x39 watt is out of stock. Must wait for 2 months to come. zzzz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast