Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to prevent water from turning Yellow?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to prevent water from turning Yellow?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear All,

I have a problem with my 2ft tank, after changing filter and water for 1 week plus, my water will slowly turn yellowish and I change about 20% of water still the same..

Is there anything to prevent this from happening?? thanks all for advise first!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to prevent water from turning Yellow?

Do you have any wood in your tank? Or peat? Or Indian almond leaf? These objects usually leak tannins into tank water. It is harmless and makes the water slightly acidic, mimicking natural conditions for SEA species or Amazonian specieshelps them show their best colours or reduce stress.

If you simply dislike the colour, boil the wood to cause it to release tannins. Note that this may take repetitive boilings to clean the wood completely and prevent further tannin leakage. Remove leaf or peat. You can also add activated carbon in your filter as it helps remove tannins.

It is harmless but unsuitable for goldfish and alkaline hard water species such as cichlids If you do not rear these species.

Fish like tetras, corydoras, rasboras, gouramis, Betta fish are suitable and naturally found in tannin stained rivers

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sound like tannins leaking in your tank.
    Just need to change more water weekly and water should be cleared after a few change.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi all,

I think it sounds correct after see all your replies, the plants I bought is actually on something like those wood thingy..

thank you all..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Those wood pieces tied with plants from LFS usually leach alot of tannins during initial use... unless you un-tie the plants, boil the wood to drain out the tannins, and then re-tie back the plants (which is abit tedious), you'll just have to let the wood slowly leach out all its tannins over time.

My outdoor water garden is filled with plants tied to those same blocks of wood from LFS too, and even after the wood blocks were boiled and the plants re-tied to them, the water still had a yellowish tinge for a few weeks (on hindsight, it was quite a nice effect though, looked abit like a small stream at the nature reserve), but after regular water changes the tannins gradually reduced until the water was clear again.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 15th Jan 2014 at 17:58.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After seeing all your replies at least I feel better, if not I see the water becoming yellow and even the gravels I put in, from white become yellow.. lolx!! like bleaching my gravels..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, tannins will stain light colored materials... if you want to remove tannins quicker, can try temporarily putting activated carbon in your filter, it will help adsorb the tannins too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The tannins stain the gravel yellow?0.0 or does it just make the gravel seem yellow when underwater?:/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thw gravels became yellowish.. no more pure white color. If the tannins are the causes den I think still ok.. even my gravel cleaner pumping out the water is being stained..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk