Country
    Singapore

Far East's hairgrass tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Went to Far East of Simons Road and was mesmerised by one of the tanks in their gallery room (2nd Floor)

It was the one with the most simple set up - a beautiful hair grass lawn with a big and mature bunch of Rotala Sp Green (pardon me if i get the id wrong). In fact i had never seen such a big bunch of Rotala before.

I was in awe of the beautiful hair grass lawn. They are really neat and clean- same ht and sparingly spaced but the lawning effect still there. Amazingly, they are pointing straight up. The combine effect of these produces a really dreamy aquascape..

when i went back home, i immediately torn down my hairgrass lawn and replanted them. (now i am fighting cloudy water issues..sigh..) My hairgrass was getting too thick and infested with algae. Further, i just don't understand how theirs are pointing straight up while mine is curving here and there.. Very untidy! They were healthy and green. I tried before to trim the hairgrass, but the thickness will form regardless how much you trim them. Some may recommend planting clumps of approx. 5 plantlets, but it is a creeping plants and sooner, they will meet their brothers and sisters closely.

Anyone know a tip or two how they planted and maintain their hair grass lawn?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you need to comb your hairgrass......to clear debris that gets trapped and also to straighten the messy look.... use a comb with big gaps....but your hairgrass needs to have taken root if not they will come out.... I comb my hairgrass once a week.....
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Blur one, thanks for the reply.

I heard about combing hair glass but i am scared got stuck and pull up the whole turf.

BTW, care to advise how you planted them.. issit 5-10 plantlets and sparingly apart?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Yesterday went there too. Very relax looking at those 3 display tank. Can check with U regarding the square shape tank. Is it 2ftX2ftX2ft & no bracing? Any idea the glass thickness? Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ken, the dimension of the square tank is likely to be 2 ft overall because i did compare the width of the square tank with the rest of the tanks. But I don't really know the thickness. I will measure it when i go there again. I think overall, the tank, lighting and carbinet are so tasteful done. The tanks in the gallery were different from that i previously visited 2 mths ago.

the thickness is 10mm, I brought 1 from them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7a23840a1a="kelloggs"]Hi Blur one, thanks for the reply.

I heard about combing hair glass but i am scared got stuck and pull up the whole turf.

BTW, care to advise how you planted them.. issit 5-10 plantlets and sparingly apart?

Thanks[/quote:7a23840a1a]

actually I did 3 plantlets ber bunch about 2.5 cm apart..... started being 1 cm apart but as time went on...became more..

Took me two days to wash the Hairgrass from Teo's (Emmersed) and plant them.... then another trip to the chinese doctor for a massage for the back pain.....
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ca70bda09f="jwaychee"]the thickness is 10mm, I brought 1 from them.[/quote:ca70bda09f]

How much they selling the 2 by 2 by 2 tank ?? Thinking of getting one.... appreciate it if you could let me know.... if not convinient to post here maybe can PM ??

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blur one.. 2.5cm apart at 3 hairs is really mircoscopic work.. i duno i have the patient or not So how long it took to form a turf??

jwaychee, i also want to know the price with cabinet.. Please PM me .

Thanks

I think the price I brought is irrelevant anymore. I think the price has drop and I don't know whether she still make the one without braces anymore. The one without braces actually cost a lot more. You better check with her.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks, please kindly keep to the topic or start a relevant thread by itself.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2723b0e7d8="kelloggs"]Blur one.. 2.5cm apart at 3 hairs is really mircoscopic work.. i duno i have the patient or not So how long it took to form a turf??

jwaychee, i also want to know the price with cabinet.. Please PM me .

Thanks [/quote:2723b0e7d8]

Still in the process of forming a turf... but if you look from a low angle its a turf...... ya....took me alot of back breaking work to plant them... guess that is why I am willing to stay with it as the thought of tearing it down gives me the shivers.....

A nice lawn would make the tank look great.... but dare not add too much fert in case algae bloom......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bad news! i guess i made a mistake by tearing the turf and replanted the grass. For the past two days, i found lots of floating grass and have to poke them back in. My take is that either the altums were pulling the grass up or they fought and created a stir or they were chasing the SAE..

If this goes on, the hairgrass can never find their roots stable

Any advice? maybe i should secure a net or mesh wire or something for 3 weeks just above the grass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its hard to secure the hair grass to mesh or anything of that sort. maybe you can try those wire covers shaped like a n. or maybe you can take out those fishes for a while after the hair grass take root.
    Founder of theWaterBox