Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi! Excited new guppy owner:)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.
    Both my fishes died this morning. I don't know what the cause is. They seem fine last night. I turned the filter down to the lowest power. Anyway I washed tank and filled it again. I'm gonna let it run for a while before I add new fishes. I don't have any soul or substrate. How do I plant plants like twisted vallis?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just add a bunch of cabomba or hydrilla still in their plastic pot as long as there's some sunlight it should be fine.

Do look over your dead fish for any swelling, nodes to check for worms and parasites. If there are any, then do not buy new fish from the same LFS. If there aren't, then water quality is probably the case and quite inevitable especially with newly set-up filters. Add some fish food into the tank to kick start the cycling. Then wait a month before adding new fish to prevent more fatalities. Do read up on cycling a fish tank from the net

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by georgelam View Post
    Hi guys.
    Both my fishes died this morning. I don't know what the cause is. They seem fine last night. I turned the filter down to the lowest power. Anyway I washed tank and filled it again. I'm gonna let it run for a while before I add new fishes. I don't have any soul or substrate. How do I plant plants like twisted vallis?
    Luckily you didn't buy discus or other expensive fish. I know of people who will accept nothing less than discus, etc as beginners. Of course they will feel heartaches when they lose their precious fish.

For you, there's no problem, as you can simply just get another bag of attractive guppies to try again. Keep trying until a batch of guppies can last one year under your care. By then you would have learned enough and gained enough experience to try your hand at better fish which require more expert care.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. I'll continue trying. Im gonna add some plants. From what I read, java moss seems to be the easiest to keep. Plus it's fry friendly. So that's what I'll start with. Maybe add some rocks or cave too.. If you guys have any advise or suggestion, feel free to add on. I would like to get as much information as possible. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by GHD97 View Post
    Just add a bunch of cabomba or hydrilla still in their plastic pot as long as there's some sunlight it should be fine.
    That, unfortunately, is bad advise. The sponge that is usually used in those plastic plant pots are soaked in liquid ferts and whatever not. They are not meant for long term usage. Additionally, those plants need to be washed. The pots often contain snails and other harmful stuff you would not want in your aquarium.

Back to the TS..

Caves are not required for guppy.

I'm curious. Are you intending to keep the guppy for pure display? Or are you intending to dabble in breeding?

If the intent is just for an aquarium and guppies just happened to be a cheap and colorful fauna choice.. Then, decor as you would like. I would recommend other fauna choices to complement the tank even.

If, however, the intent is to breed them and understand guppies in depth.. Stick to the "lesser is better" mantra. Many people I know enjoy breeding guppies in plain, non decorative setups.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It's definitely a display aquarium. I might consider going into breeding but not so soon. For now I would be happy if my guppies stay alive. And a pleasing looking tank that is relatively easy to maintain. Right now, it's completely bare. Which is quite sad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to update. I got a nana from the lfs. They didn't have java moss. But they said its easy to care for too. The fishes are slowly getting used to it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nana is very easy. Within weeks in a good tank and you'll have a large nana long enough to reach the top

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk
    Always there to help even if i can't i'll try my best to

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The nana I got already has quite big leaves. I notice a bit of yellowing. I keep monitoring it. What should I do if it continues to yellow. Or what can I do now to prevent it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The nana I got already has quite big leaves. I notice a bit of yellowing. I keep monitoring it. What should I do if it continues to yellow. Or what can I do now to prevent it?
    Those are usually just weak leaves... use a pair of scissors to cut off the yellowing leaves at the base, it'll help the plant redirect resources to grow new healthier leaves.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's definitely a display aquarium. I might consider going into breeding but not so soon. For now I would be happy if my guppies stay alive. And a pleasing looking tank that is relatively easy to maintain. Right now, it's completely bare. Which is quite sad.
    Guppies are superb for filling a display tank, especially at night.

At night, switch off the tank lights and aim a florescent spotlight at the tank front. You will then notice the magnificence of these humble little guppies. Better still, install a permanent light fixture in front for this purpose.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Uh oh... Nana needs at least some fertilizers. If not, iron or potassium deficiencies will cause yellowing and melting of leaves till you're left with only a rhizome. Try some OceanFree Absolute plant ball fertilizer. It is quite cost efficient as far as ferts go^^ prevention is better than cure, best start some ferts before you're left with just an ugly rhizome... And Nanas do not grow very fast in a low-tech tank like yours. Mine grew a bud after a month :\ Nanas are nice^^ love their large leaves...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Guppies are superb for filling a display tank, especially at night.

At night, switch off the tank lights and aim a florescent spotlight at the tank front. You will then notice the magnificence of these humble little guppies. Better still, install a permanent light fixture in front for this purpose.
    Yup. I have a bulb above the tank and it looks spectacular. I also removed the yellowing leaves. I would like to add more plants in future. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. It has been extremely beneficial and I really appreciate it. I'll update here if I have more question which I probably will.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12