Images
    Country
    Singapore

Qns on APP (Ah Pek Plant)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I find the APP to be quite an interesting plant to grow but I need to clear some doubts. Can the experts please enlighten me on the following?

1) What their requirements in a planted tank? Do you need to supply them with any extra ferts?

2) Will they do well in a tank that is 27-28 dgrees with neutral ph?

3) Do they grow fast and are low staying, or do they shoot up like glosso if light requirements are not met?

4) Where can I get them? I have been to some LFSs but are unsure if it's the correct one. Even the people in the shop don't know.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Elatine triandra is a nice light green coloured plant grown in the same way as glosso. If you can grow glosso well, then you should have no problem with APP. They have similar requirements and growth pattern.

Most LFS do not stock them because they are fragile. You can post in the buy/sell forum to check with other forumers. Or you can check with Teo Farm to see if they have stock.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:853af43c41="juggler"]Elatine triandra is a nice light green coloured plant grown in the same way as glosso. If you can grow glosso well, then you should have no problem with APP. They have similar requirements and growth pattern.

Most LFS do not stock them because they are fragile. You can post in the buy/sell forum to check with other forumers. Or you can check with Teo Farm to see if they have stock.[/quote:853af43c41]

So I can't get them at most LFS. I will do a little asking around then.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    app likes nitrates, co2 and lights quite a lot.
    will grow higher if there is insufficient light.
    with enough light, they creep.
    they are easy to grow and can form a thick carpet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But is APP easier compared to Glosso?
    Cos the last time I had quite a bit of trouble with Glosso. Too tiny and my Corys keep digging them out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I went to Teo's last week looking for App. Didn't get them as they were still young with small leaves. As I don't have any experience recognising them, I ask the people there. Apparently it is called "Api chow" in hokkien. They advise me to wait for 2weeks unless I need to get them urgently.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re:

[quote:f72ba13ee9="Weirong"]But is APP easier compared to Glosso?
    Cos the last time I had quite a bit of trouble with Glosso. Too tiny and my Corys keep digging them out. [/quote:f72ba13ee9]

most likely you'll face the same problem too especially when you first plant them. they have small roots and will take a week or 2 to get anchored to the substrate. and periodically, you'll need to replant them when they grow too thick. the 'inner core' will die due to lack of light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just got a bit of APP today. I will just plant them and see how well they do. Just hope my old Corys take pity on me.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!