Images
    Country
    Singapore

Materials safe to put in aquariums

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all. Other than glass and acrylic, what other materials are safe for use in an aquarium ?

I was thinking on using those segregated plastic boards that look like cardboard except they are made from plastic.

The purpose is to use them as separators to separate the different plants in my cultivation tank.

Glass and acrylic have been good in my experience but currently due to my lack of proper tools i can only stick to material that can be easily cut using household items like scissors and penknives. Any suggestions?

Some of the everyday items i can think of include plastic files , wire casing , segregated plastic boards , plastic food boxes.

I wanted to use the wire casing but i am afraid it might leech phosphorus etc. Safest seems to be food boxes or plastic files but it is difficult to find those big enough for even a 60cm tank. I am considering the segregated boards due to the wide array of sizes ,the ease of handling and also the low price compared to glass and acrylic. But I am not sure if it would last long under water and if it would produce any chemicals that are harmful.

Suggestions and advices would be welcomed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Materials safe to put in aquariums

what do you keep in the tank?
    if no shrimps and sensitive fish I think most of the item that you thought of should be ok.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Materials safe to put in aquariums

Just the regular algae and mosquito eating stuff, yamato SAE guppies and some random fish i found interesting like tetras and dainos.

I actually found the segregated board to be the most cost effective but i am afraid to use it because of the dyes it has.