Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Things and tips from Nature (chan)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Things and tips from Nature (chan)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    as i mentioned, i went to nature on saturday. i got stainless steel mesh ($5 for 4) from chan and green netting ($2) for my riccia. all reasonable prices! came home to redo my riccia, now it's much presentable. beautiful. i acutally wanted to get riccia from him, $6 per piece, $10 for 2, however he did not sell those in his display tank which are growing beautifully, what he sell are those with only a feew strands, did not get from him in the end.
    he told me that otos will help clean the algae on the glass, is it true? will otos help clean up the surfaces of the tank. that's what he told me: otos help clean tank surfaces and malayan shrimps help clean aglae on plants. he also told me that yamatoes have a tendency to eat the plants but malayan shrimps are unlikely. anyone has any other comments???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    plants being eaten:

I think it boils down to whether the plant taste good. So far I have come across 2 kinds of plants (sorry dont know their names) which the malayan and guppies simply loved. They ate everything down to a stump. Most of the other plants usually encountered are immune.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/18/2002 12:25:07 AM

as i mentioned, i went to nature on saturday. i got stainless steel mesh ($5 for 4) from chan and green netting ($2) for my riccia. all reasonable prices! came home to redo my riccia, now it's much presentable. beautiful. i acutally wanted to get riccia from him, $6 per piece, $10 for 2, however he did not sell those in his display tank which are growing beautifully, what he sell are those with only a feew strands, did not get from him in the end.
    ----------------
    raytan,

Good things you did not get the ricca from Nature.. firstly it is way too expensive and secondly, the fun part is to learn how to tie them to the wire mesh with netting and watch them grow slowly... and multiply them again... when more grows..

Dunno about oto, got two recently.. both did not really eat much algae on the glass, they just stick to the glass only... and died a while later...in my tank the SAE ( small ones ) are the most hardworking at eating algae on the glass and on plants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So SAEs and OTOs, which one is better at eating algae on glass? please advise. why did the OTOs died so fast? what's the reason? fro mwhat i know, OTOs may grow up to 4cm max, bu SAEs can grow about 3 times bigger? what to do if they get so big? my tank is only 1.5ft!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah lau, you sound like a city planner, what if the roads not enough capacity to tahan the cars []

just get the fish, later grow too big give away lor []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok, will get 2 otos and 1 SAE

Feedback Score
    Actually, Otos & SAEs & Shrimps all complement each other. Each eat different types of algae.

My personal experience is 20 Yamatoes, 10 SAEs & 10 Otos for a 2 ft tank. 1 month for total algae removal!

Long time back when I only relied on 3 SAE and 6 Otos (no shrimps), my riccia and java fern grew lotsa black beard algae. Added in 20 yamatoes and algae gone in a month.

SAEs ate thread algae, otos eat brown algae, yamatoes eat red algae.

What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I have Otos for my leafy plants and flat surface. SAE to nibble on those hair algae and yamotos to pick up those hard to reach places. I do notice that yamatos also have it claws on those tiny plantlets but no harm done from my observation. At least I know the squadron of about 20 I have is doing fine. The otos do die fast, dunno why but someone here ever mentioned something about their intestine thingie. So far 4 otos left and they do help to clean flat surfaces. When I look at my tank glass at an angle i can actually sees marking left behind by it mouth of the otos. I guess it is those more tough or rather mature algae that they dun wanna eat. I am sure they prefer young and tender ones. Presently there is only one SAE, I am planning to get 3 more may be and increase my otos to 10 since they have high casualty rates. SAE are very smart fish, onces they get use to the environment they are hard to remove them as in getting them with your net. They know where to hide and run.
    Also notice that when they grow mature they including Yamatos will go for the fish food too. But if you reduce your feeding they soon goes back to their regular diet.
    My 2 cents

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    another good algae eater for rosette plants and the glass is the farawella aka twig catfish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not sure if it's a fad thing. i hardly heard king sucker (a type of dark pleco i believe) being mentioned as a algae eater even though i remember it's very popular for this role when i was young. could be it grows fast and large (seen 1 foot long before).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but yuck! that sucker fish grows to such gross size. yep, had it when i was young.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    simon.. read it somewhere that it is quite lazy right?? but it is quite interesting... how much is it usually? i saw it in Petmart.. costing ard $15 i think.. for abt 2-3 inches long..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a good algae eater the twig cat fish. Do buy and try need a big tank for them. I do see alot of tetra and other fishes pecking on the tail till the twig can no longer swim( ohhh how sad ) then it dies...

with a big tank it's a different story.
    Cheers!

Benetay