Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Lemon Tetras Or Glowlight Tetras?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lemon Tetras Or Glowlight Tetras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am a big fan of either both the lemon and glowlight tetras...I am currently planning for a 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 feet tank with 5cm of the tank sealed off for my platy/livebearers breeding. Life support system is Eheim 2217. Are the lemon or glowlights suitable for my lifestock listed below? Plan to keep 15 of either lemon or glowlight tetras. How is their temperament like?

Besides the 15 lemon or glowlight tetras, I plan to keep

-15 platies
    -6 guppies
    -4 Boseman's Rainbows
    -4 Sterba's Corydoras

Can the lemon or glowlights co-exist peacefully with the lifestock listed above? Most likely, I will go for the glowlights cos it is quite common in SG and the lemons does not appear so often in LFS but if they do, I will maybe get 8 glowlights and 7 lemons. If not, I will get just 15 glowlights.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lemon Tetras Or Glowlight Tetras?

Hi no experience with the Rainbows and corys as I don't keep them, but the glowlight and lemon tetras based on my experience should get along just dandy.

I had kept them together with a total of 5 other types of tetras, they are just fine. Maybe occasionally there's a bully, but should not be a problem with your group size.

Lemon is kind of hard to find nowadays. I got mine from Tiong Bahru last time round, but I went there yesterday looking for more ruby tetras and I couldn't find neither.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Your fish list is ok but do watch out for the rainbows, although generally peaceful they will out compete the rest for food. They corys may have problem with that.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you want a suggestion for another rainbow that might suit your setup, try Melanotaenia praecox, the dwarf rainbowfish. The eventual size of the boesemani makes them unsuitable with smaller slower fishes. Options such as Telmatherina ladigesi or Iriatherina werneri might be better options since they are less boisterous. Another option is Oryzias woworae, a ricefish but similar in coloration to M. praecox. Should be colourful enough.

As for guppies, you can probably opt for Endlers or other guppy variants without long or enlarged fins like the delta tails etc, as those will become targets for the tetras. The platies should be just fine as long as you keep the pH between 6.5 to 7.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.