Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which carpet plant should I choose for a beginner low tech tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which carpet plant should I choose for a beginner low tech tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks for all the valuable advice! Bennyc, what kind of moss do you use? Do you mind sharing some photos of your tank?

I have a couple more months to deliberate on this because I don't intend to set-up this tank just yet. But I'm asking here to get advice and recommendations since my knowledge of plants is zero.

Urban Aquaria, thanks for the links to the 2 low tech tanks and the planting tips. They look really fantastic! I was just at C328 earlier and didn't notice any glosso. Are they commonly stocked plants?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Unmarked View Post
    Urban Aquaria, thanks for the links to the 2 low tech tanks and the planting tips. They look really fantastic! I was just at C328 earlier and didn't notice any glosso. Are they commonly stocked plants?
    Yeah, glosso is one of the more commonly stocked plants at most LFS... but usually whenever they are re-stocked, they tend to get sold out very quickly, so have to be fast hand fast leg.

Although the plants are usually sold as rectangular mats in plastic cartons, sometimes they are also tied to rocks or coconut shells, those can also be used too, just have to untie them and then separate to plant in the tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the valuable advice! Bennyc, what kind of moss do you use? Do you mind sharing some photos of your tank?

I have a couple more months to deliberate on this because I don't intend to set-up this tank just yet. But I'm asking here to get advice and recommendations since my knowledge of plants is zero.

I am using taiwan moss.

Aiyo... ask for my tank shot. Very embarrassing. wait everyone spit on their monitor because of my tank photo ... Haha. PM me your email, i send to you. We shall take it offline...
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    I am using taiwan moss.

Aiyo... ask for my tank shot. Very embarrassing. wait everyone spit on their monitor because of my tank photo ... Haha. PM me your email, i send to you. We shall take it offline...
    Can pm me too cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, glosso is one of the more commonly stocked plants at most LFS... but usually whenever they are re-stocked, they tend to get sold out very quickly, so have to be fast hand fast leg.

Although the plants are usually sold as rectangular mats in plastic cartons, sometimes they are also tied to rocks or coconut shells, those can also be used too, just have to untie them and then separate to plant in the tank.
    Oh I've seen the plastic carton packaging before. They're just slightly moist right? They resemble a box of alfalfa sprouts in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I've seen the plastic carton packaging before. They're just slightly moist right? They resemble a box of alfalfa sprouts in my opinion.
    Yup, it resembles alfalfa, almost have the same leaf size and shape.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    In addition, try not to introduce shrimps or bottom dwelling fishes until the glosso roots are established, or else you will see the glosso constantly getting uprooted.
    Wondering how long does glosso normally takes to take roots?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Wondering how long does glosso normally takes to take roots?
    Usually around 1-2 weeks, depending on the tank conditions (high-tech faster, low-tech slower)... once you see them actively spreading runners and growing out new plantlets, that's usually an indication that they have started to root into the substrate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys for all the comments since I'm also deciding on a carpet plant fr my aquarium.
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12