Country
    Singapore

Questions from a c02 newbie

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I got my c02 cylinder today, and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to be. I'm a newbie, and I got the set 2nd hand.

For starters, The "regulator" was was like a manual gauge. Here are some pics:

The overall view:

The view of the "regulator" pressure reading:

Finally, the view of the manual gauge:

Can the pros tell me what I have in this set right now?

And what I'm lacking? There is nothing else other than a check valve and a bubble counter. I believe I need a needle valve too? How about a true regulator? How much will these stuff cost?

I will be going down to one of those shops tommorrow hopefully, to get the thing refilled and to buy all the things i need...

Thanks alot for your help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haiyo, I have told you and the others at petfrd you need to get the real regulator which have two gauges (internal and external pressure) right?

you can't fit a needle valve onto this thing, nor a solenoid. you are resigned to tweedling that big knob and hope that you don't over do it and let out the full 1000 psi into your tank! Just look at the gauge they install, it reads several thousand psi!!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No no no don't get the wrong idea, I just posted on several forums at once to get a range of answers. It's not that I distrust your/stormhawk's answer! hahaha

Anyway, I've replyed in petfrd.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    U can attached a needle valve to it, see Chan from NA, he can help.
    From my exp. with similar equipment, although a needle valve do help, but tweaking the rite amount of CO2 is still difficult bcos needle vaalve is not design to handle high pressure.
    If u got budget, change to 2 gauge type.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chan just told him cannot.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It is not clear to me that you have a regulator. It looks like it may just be a pressure valve - measuring the high pressure in the tank. YOu need to find out for sure if it is a regulator and make sure it can control the output pressure down to 10-15 psi. If not, buy a real regulator.

And yes, you will need a needle valve.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:201c02afbc="bobalston"]It is not clear to me that you have a regulator. It looks like it may just be a pressure valve - measuring the high pressure in the tank. YOu need to find out for sure if it is a regulator and make sure it can control the output pressure down to 10-15 psi. If not, buy a real regulator.

And yes, you will need a needle valve.

Bob[/quote:201c02afbc]

Bob, indeed it is just a pressure valve. Unfortunately most hobbyist are not aware of the difference and the potential danger. Most LFS simply pass this off as a "manual regulator". The more professional ones like Nature Aquarium attempts to inform the buyer but many are put off by the higher cost (because they cannot understand the difference) or believe in half-truths told by other shops.

You will find some of us in the forum repeating this sad story everytime this question comes up. unfortunately most hobbyist are not forum members.

I have recently bought a regulator with a single gauge and a single pressure adjusting knob. It gave me a scare as I did not know whether it could work properly without a needle valve.

Later found out that the pressure has been internally stepped down (but you really cannot tell that it is stepped down as the only gauge measures the tank pressure, not the stepped down pressure).

Doing fine bubble adjustment with the single knob is very easy also.

Hence, single gauge model may work but it is better to buy from reputable retailers.
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This type of "regulator" do step down the pressure. It is a simple pressure reducing valve, but it does not regulate the output pressure.

IME, it works but controlling the gas flow is more difficult compare to a normal regulator. A very slight turn of the knob sometimes result in big variation of gas flow.

After fiddling with this type of "regulator" for a few months (killing many fishes in the process), I switch to a proper gas regulator.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, hwchoy:

Do you have picture of the CO2 regulator and needle valve you guys use? All these years, I have been using the common "manual regulator" as sold in shops. Yes - some are hard to adjust to the right bubbling rate. Thanks.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    If you want a picture of a typical regulator, with two gauges, look here:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...0Regulator.htm

Also, for lots of info on pressurized co2 look here:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...Pressure%20CO2

Bob

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's my complete set (Dymax brand)...

The main regulator should read slightly above 1000 psi, while the other should be around 20-25 psi.

Here's how the bubble counter is linked...

I've read enough abt the dangers of having such an equipment in the house to take all necessary precautions. Just be careful. I'm not trying to scare anybody, but it makes no sense to lose an arm and a leg just because of our fuss with lush plt growth.

[/quote]

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Well I went down to Bioplast, and the uncle there told me that I could attach a needle valve to the regulator of mine.

Well I went ahead and did it, but it was only after telling him about the dangers I've heard and what hwchoy said to me, but he still said that I could attach one.

The problem now is, I'm setting my bubble rate to 1 bubble per 4 seconds. However, after a while, the bubble rate drops to about 1 bubble every ten seconds. Overnight, the next morning, I estimated it to be a horrible 1 bubble per 30 seconds!

What are the possbile causes of this problem? I've checked the bubbling rate without the diffusor, so it isn't the diffusor's problem.

Help! Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:833099c5="|squee|"]
    The problem now is, I'm setting my bubble rate to 1 bubble per 4 seconds. However, after a while, the bubble rate drops to about 1 bubble every ten seconds. Overnight, the next morning, I estimated it to be a horrible 1 bubble per 30 seconds! ...
    [/quote:833099c5]

That is precisely the problem faced with this type of "regulator". There is a lot of fiddling to get a correct constant flowrate. That was the reason I gave up on it.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another point to note...

Regulator having one or two gauges is a guide... there are some very good regulators with one gauge... e.g. BioPlast Profistar.

BC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so that means I have to change the regulator?

Could I change it at Bioplast? Does Bioplast only sell Bioplast regulators? ( their regulators are quite expensive.. )

And how much does a 2-gauge regulator cost? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    changing the regulator would be a recommended way to go.
    though bioplast regulator cost more,they offer you variable output pressure. they build is good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How much do they cost?

I'm a poly student with a budget, always gets in the way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b6845595ec="|squee|"]Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Well I went down to Bioplast, and the uncle there told me that I could attach a needle valve to the regulator of mine.

Well I went ahead and did it, but it was only after telling him about the dangers I've heard and what hwchoy said to me, but he still said that I could attach one.
    Help! Thanks[/quote:b6845595ec]

that's a surprise, I'd thought they'd be the last guy to agree to do that!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dunno, I kept repeating my fears but the uncle assured me it was allright. So I trusted him and went ahead, after all, he's the professional.

No one knows how much a regulator costs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast