1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Daphina

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys! May I know if daphina causes any diseases to fishes if I grow the daphina along with them? Currently having only 2 swordtails and a bunch of hairgrass, algae is present.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Daphina

Quote Originally Posted by SwordZ View Post
    Hi guys! May I know if daphina causes any diseases to fishes if I grow the daphina along with them? Currently having only 2 swordtails and a bunch of hairgrass, algae is present.
    Are you talking about "Ang Boon" (daphnia)? Daphnia is superb for fish to eat, but the danger is that there may be some hydra mixed with them. HYdra are the small cursed creatures for fish keepers. Hydras usually kill people's precious fish after they are eaten by them. You can do a google search for Hydra to find out more.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey there, what's your plan in growing this ang boon? I'll love to try it too! will be alot more convenient than driving out to the LFS each time i need some.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks tetrakid! @hurrumph, I was planning to let loose one batch of daphina in my tank with only 2 swordtails, thus I don't think they can eat them all . Also, I have a thriving algae population which should feed the algae! Worse come to worse, I'll cut off the top section of a 1.5 litre bottle and replace the cap with a fine mesh whereby only daphina can come out. In short, I'm planning to create a self-sustaining eco system within a tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks tetrakid! @hurrumph, I was planning to let loose one batch of daphina in my tank with only 2 swordtails, thus I don't think they can eat them all . Also, I have a thriving algae population which should feed the algae! Worse come to worse, I'll cut off the top section of a 1.5 litre bottle and replace the cap with a fine mesh whereby only daphina can come out. In short, I'm planning to create a self-sustaining eco system within a tank
    I also like Ang Boons a lot.
    In those days, I used to scoop them up from ponds with a net. There's so much red daphnia in the net that I just had to use my finger in the net and lift a red bundle of it on with my finger. In those days, there were many ponds everywhere, before so may flats were built. And the daphnia were much bigger and redder than those you buy now. It's great to see fish eating the Ang Boons by pecking. But if you some put Ang Boons into a Cory tank, they will smell it and will "kee siow" and just anyhow blindly charge around here and there and still get a few into their mouth. Corys cannot see things in front of the, lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sigh, well the new generation never gets to enjoy the wonders of nature like before

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    HYdra are the small cursed creatures for fish keepers. Hydras usually kill people's precious fish after they are eaten by them. You can do a google search for Hydra to find out more.
    Agree, wiped out a few of my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sigh, well the new generation never gets to enjoy the wonders of nature like before
    Ya. Let me tel you another story.
    When I was very young, I learned from my uncle who kept a small fish yard with goldfish. He also kept Siamese fighting fish. In those days, he would train the fighting fish every day by stirring the container while the fish would swim against the current. This eventually developed their 'charging power' after a few weeks so when they attack, it is no joke, got real power. He also hardened their lips by making them knock frequently against the glass wall when the 'gembang' and attack at the mirror. I heard he also fed them chilly to strengthen their mouths, but this I did not see for myself. All this sounds like some tough "Shaolin" training for the fish, lol. Quite fun to know.