1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

swordtail and shrimp compatibility? Also, java moss turning brown :(

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys! Currently planning to get some amano shrimp to live with my pair of koi swordtails. Also planning to get some garra rufa too! Is this advisable? Also, my java moss is turning brown on some sides, is it because I let it in direct sunlight?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: swordtail and shrimp compatibility? Also, java moss turning brown :(

I really dun think you should put shrimps and swordtails together . swordtails can be relatively aggressive as docile as they look . and swordtails can grow a few times bigger than shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Swordz,
    Sorry to hear that the java is not doing well. I don't think it's the sunlight as I also grow a pot of them emersed in my office in direct sunlight and they actually grow even better. I did experience a massive die-off of my java (bought it tied on a log) but eventually one side of it regenerated nice and green and that's the clump which I passed to you. Perhaps they don't adapt well to sudden changes in water condition? I transferred it from my CO2 tank to my non-CO2 tank and it was surviving pretty well for a month though.. Newbie question but are you using dechlorinator?

Regarding the shrimp, I also wouldn't recommend swordtails with shrimp unless you've got lots of hiding places for the shrimp. Even so, if you're hoping for the shrimp to breed then the babies may get eaten up pretty easily.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tubularistical View Post
    Hey Swordz,
    Sorry to hear that the java is not doing well. I don't think it's the sunlight as I also grow a pot of them emersed in my office in direct sunlight and they actually grow even better. I did experience a massive die-off of my java (bought it tied on a log) but eventually one side of it regenerated nice and green and that's the clump which I passed to you. Perhaps they don't adapt well to sudden changes in water condition? I transferred it from my CO2 tank to my non-CO2 tank and it was surviving pretty well for a month though.. Newbie question but are you using dechlorinator?

Regarding the shrimp, I also wouldn't recommend swordtails with shrimp unless you've got lots of hiding places for the shrimp. Even so, if you're hoping for the shrimp to breed then the babies may get eaten up pretty easily.
    It's ok! I'm really thankful you gave them to me . Currently leaving them in a small tub away from my main tank, probably due to high temperature as my main tank is exposed to direct sunlight.
    Hmm, if I use a 35 gallon tank and I carpet it with hairgrass, will that be enough for the shrimps and the swordtails?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You're most welcome, happy to be able to contribute to your tank. I'm not having much luck with hairgrass myself, so I can't really advise whether it'll be sufficient cover. My tanks are also very warm (though not in direct sunlight), reaching about 29C during the day. The only carpet plant I had great success with was glosso, but that was with CO2 injection. I think most carpet plants are quite carbon-demanding so you might need to either do CO2 or dose seachem excel. I've been told by a few fish shops that it is difficult to grow hairgrass above 26-27C.
    If you want to provide cover for your shrimp, some plants I had success with in my low tech tank were java moss and anubias nana. Both are low in CO2 and light demands, and they generally come tied onto a piece of wood. Both are pretty impossible to kill (I'm definitely skilled in killing things). The roots together with the wood provide some nice hiding places for shrimp (especially under the wood, I've found). They'll be safe from your fish but you may not see them much!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yeah , I agree , the baby shrimps wouldn't stand a chance . even if you provided plenty of vegetation , baby shrimps like to swim around and explore unlike bigger older ones which would settle on hiding places

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are getting amano shrimp then the problem of swordtails eating the baby shrimps will not be a problem as the babies can only survive in brackish water.Just make sure to get the large size amano shrimp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You're most welcome, happy to be able to contribute to your tank. I'm not having much luck with hairgrass myself, so I can't really advise whether it'll be sufficient cover. My tanks are also very warm (though not in direct sunlight), reaching about 29C during the day. The only carpet plant I had great success with was glosso, but that was with CO2 injection. I think most carpet plants are quite carbon-demanding so you might need to either do CO2 or dose seachem excel. I've been told by a few fish shops that it is difficult to grow hairgrass above 26-27C.
    If you want to provide cover for your shrimp, some plants I had success with in my low tech tank were java moss and anubias nana. Both are low in CO2 and light demands, and they generally come tied onto a piece of wood. Both are pretty impossible to kill (I'm definitely skilled in killing things). The roots together with the wood provide some nice hiding places for shrimp (especially under the wood, I've found). They'll be safe from your fish but you may not see them much!
    Well, for me its pretty much the opposite, my hairgrass are doing really well without co2 and ferts while my java moss is on the brink of extinction!
    Thanks everyone for the input! If I use rcs can I get the same cleaning job done?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

RCS is smaller than amano shrimp and will be more at risk of being wiped out... Maybe get a few otocinclus catfish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SwordZ View Post
    Well, for me its pretty much the opposite, my hairgrass are doing really well without co2 and ferts while my java moss is on the brink of extinction!
    Thanks everyone for the input! If I use rcs can I get the same cleaning job done?
    By cleaning job do you mean algae? I happen to be an expert algae farmer haha I've got a sizeable army of RCS and they do clear up certain types of algae very quickly (especially the light brown fluffy kind) but others like the green thread kind (the stringy and long, not soft clumpy one) still grow in my tank. And definitely green spot algae still grows in my tank. Otos are nice fish. I still don't know whether they're cleaning my tank but at least they leave my shrimp alone. Also they prefer living in groups so that may increase your cleaning power (I only have 1).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Umm if so, is it possible to breed the otos along with the swordtails?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't know how to breed otos, but if you mean keeping them together I think it should be no problem.