Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wattage for 2 feet tank! discuss please!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wattage for 2 feet tank! discuss please!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello there once again...
    would like to know what wattage u pple use for your 2 feet tanks...
    i'm using...
    1st 2 feet
    2X20watts good reflector
    2x18watts crap reflector bought lightset in light shop...

2nd tank
    2x15watts good reflector

i find my lightings too low still!!! even with 5.2 watts per gallon!
    all my light tubes are fl... will changing them to pl help?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    from what i learnt:
    guidance for lighting is 2-3W per gallon is for Moderate lighting (plants that do not need strong lighting) and 4-5W for plants that need strong lighting, for example, riccia. my tank is 1.5ft and i use about 2.7W per gallon for my tank, 2 sets of lights (9W and 18W), told that light will be evenl distributed. i have riccia for foreground so i put my stronger lighting in front, i have xmas moss (does not require strong lighting) so i put my weaker lighting behind. with close to 3W, my riccia still bubbles tremendously, it starts bubbling with 20 mins after the lights are on. from what i learnt, if u have strong lighting, there may be algae breakouts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, sounds like you should have more than enough wattage. Why do you say it is too low? plants not bubbling? maybe you're short of CO2 or too much water turbulence to achieve hypersaturation.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

1st 2 feet

2X20watts good reflector

2nd tank

2x15watts good reflector

----------------

That's a lot of light... I am only using 30+30+18Watt for my standard 3feet.

What made you think that you dun have enough light?
    Is it becos your glooso is not growing flat or??

Maybe your CO2 is not enough. How many bubble per sec?

Changing FL to PL won't change much but belive could reach deeper tank as it intensity is a bit greater.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    check yr other perimeter (KH,PH)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah its my glosso... it doesn't want to grow sideways... every other plant is doing fine... me have co2 tank with solenoid... so co2 should be fine... i monitor kh and ph also... haiya...is it light penetration?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/18/2002 12:57:56 AM

hello there once again...
    would like to know what wattage u pple use for your 2 feet tanks...
    i'm using...
    1st 2 feet
    2X20watts good reflector

2nd tank
    2x15watts good reflector

----------------
    Hi Ryan, most times, we tend to use wattage as a gauge. Unfortunately, that isn't accurate enough. As what you've mentioned, 4 tubes seem good enough for a standard 2 footer. Recommend you stick with 20W FL tubes. One thing you should pay attention to is light temperature. Ideally, 7500K/ tube. However, I note it's difficult to get hold of such tubes locally. Therefore, why not consider Hitachi's ETB FL tube ( 6500K ). They've served me well and isn't expensive. You should also change your FL tubes once every 6 - 8 mths from the date of installation. They tend to age fast. Hope you find this useful.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, tengok percak lah, rip out all your glosso and replant [] [] []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/18/2002 1:34:18 PM

yeah its my glosso... it doesn't want to grow sideways... every other plant is doing fine... me have co2 tank with solenoid... so co2 should be fine... i monitor kh and ph also... haiya...is it light penetration?
    ----------------
    Oh glosso huh.. Hee hee..
    How deep is the tank, if more than 2 ft, maybe you will have problem letter the light reaching them.

If all else fail, maybe look for any plant to grow there loh...:P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    heheh [] ...
    my stupid glosso like become so famous already... no! i'm not giving up... yes i replanted them already... i changed tubes also... but thats the 18watts ones... only 4 months but so desperate i changed them... the 20 watts ones due for change in april... i just moved the 20 watts light set to the front(just above glosso) maybe it'll help lah... nahh... my tank only 36 cm tall... then minus gravel and space above abt only 30 cm left...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/19/2002 3:04:52 AM

heheh [] ...

my stupid glosso like become so famous already... no! i'm not giving up... yes i replanted them already... i changed tubes also... but thats the 18watts ones... only 4 months but so desperate i changed them... the 20 watts ones due for change in april... i just moved the 20 watts light set to the front(just above glosso) maybe it'll help lah... nahh... my tank only 36 cm tall... then minus gravel and space above abt only 30 cm left...
    ----------------

This is strange... My tank has much lower light than yours and my glosso is growing ok, crawling on the floor.

Maybe you show us some pic, yo further help you more.

By shifting the light directly on top on the glosso is a right thing to do.

If you are changing the light, it is better to stagger them. So that there will not be a sudden increase in light, which may stress the fish or cause algae bloom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    aiyah... i don't have digital cam and all... i think i always scare them lah... keep pushing them into ground... btw... what fert do u use?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2002 6:04:53 AM

aiyah... i don't have digital cam and all... i think i always scare them lah... keep pushing them into ground... btw... what fert do u use?
    ----------------
    Just leave it lah.. Sometimes, it will grow upward for a while then start to grow horixontal and start crawling on the gravel.

I didn't use base fertilizer if that's what you are asking. Used to dose Kare's ferrous solution, just changed to PMDD not long ago.

I'm using 4x20W ADA NA FL tube for my two feet tank and the Glossostigma elatinoides glow extremely well with large amount of CO2.

and does you light suitable for plant use? what K actually is it? soft water is also a factor for the Glossostigma elatinoides as well

can you basically give out more info for your setup?

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok... my 20 watts tubes came with big boy light hood... 18 watts lights are new general electric daylight... don't know their temp(K)... using co2 cylinder so should be sufficient co2...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2002 4:04:30 PM

----------------
    On 3/20/2002 6:04:53 AM

----------------

Just leave it lah.. Sometimes, it will grow upward for a while then start to grow horixontal and start crawling on the gravel.

I didn't use base fertilizer if that's what you are asking. Used to dose Kare's ferrous solution, just changed to PMDD not long ago.

----------------
    hmmm... okok... lets see! i've tried that and the tallest stalk of glosso i got was almost 30 CM tall!!!!! record huh!!!
    []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/23/2002 3:01:34 AM
    hmmm... okok... lets see! i've tried that and the tallest stalk of glosso i got was almost 30 CM tall!!!!! record huh!!!
    []
    ----------------
    maybe you forget about the glosso and try stargrass lah, stargrass can also grow into a carpet. hoppinghippo wants to give away some more stargrass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    your lights arn't enuff...just get a 2x36 i'm sure it will be enuff for u.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/23/2002 5:10:42 PM

----------------
    On 3/23/2002 3:01:34 AM
    []
    ----------------
    maybe you forget about the glosso and try stargrass lah, stargrass can also grow into a carpet. hoppinghippo wants to give away some more stargrass.
    ----------------
    no i want glosso... anyway the stargrass hoppinghippo wants to give has already been spreading like mad all over my tank... haha... didn'nt know the plant he gave me was already in my tank... oh yeah... stargrass too tall lah... i like carpet... thanks for suggestion anyway!
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    erm... actually i have more than that...
    my lights----> 2x20 + 2x18 total 76 watts...

2x36= 72 watts []

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast