Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

mini fissiden help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi good ppl, I done up my 2nd tank 1 month back, but dunno why my mini fissiden turning brownies..
    pls help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: mini fissiden help

Hey there, perhaps it would be easier to advise if you could provide more information about the tank and the problem. For starters, your lighting, fertiliser, CO2/excel use, temperature would be good to aid others in figuring out your problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi tubularistical,
    the tank perimeter as follow, PH=7.6, amonia/nitrite/nitrate =0, temp wkday avg23, wkend avg 28 (office), Light using UP Pro series (7LED, only on 8 hrs daily). tank cycle for almost 2 months. water change 30% weekly. only dose with Seachem Perm. (stop dosing exel as believe will overkill this low tec tank), also added BacterMax (from CRS Haven) after every water change.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the additional details! I may not be able to provide very good advice as I'm also relatively new to growing mini fissidens and my tank is CO2 injected. How long was the fissidens in there and were they doing ok for some time before turning brown? I had no issues with mine when I added it straight into my tank on a stainless steel mesh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine was slightly unhealthy when I got it. Btw care to post pictures of your nini fissidens?

What is your light?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok I'll take some pics when I get home. I'm using a 2ft Odyssea T5 which has two bulbs, over a 2.5ft tank. The moss definitely grows slowly compared to plants. It does root very well to wood though.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi citvengen,

Were you dosing excel to the tank? it could be the excel. another thing is that the PH seems to be on the high side, you may want to lower the PH. fissiden is low maintanence, so technically other than prime, or water conditioners, you do not need to add anything.

Another thing is that the fissiden may be recovering or converting. Alot of times aquatic plants are sold in emersed form. only in our tanks will it convert to submerged form.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Excel affects fissidens?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by citvengen View Post
    Hi tubularistical,
    the tank perimeter as follow, PH=7.6, amonia/nitrite/nitrate =0, temp wkday avg23, wkend avg 28 (office), Light using UP Pro series (7LED, only on 8 hrs daily). tank cycle for almost 2 months. water change 30% weekly. only dose with Seachem Perm. (stop dosing exel as believe will overkill this low tec tank), also added BacterMax (from CRS Haven) after every water change.
    Fissidens usually take a while to adapt to new tank conditions and will tend to look brownish until they transition, so maybe wait abit more.

Whats is model and wattage of your lights? From my experience, although fissidens can "survive" in low light conditions, they actually grow much better under higher intensity light... the fissidens in my tanks that are closer to stronger light always grow much faster and healthier than those in shade.

I currently have fissidens in sealed transparent tubs in my balcony under direct sunlight and they grow the fastest with lots of pearling, even though the water temperature in the sealed tubs periodically reach 31-32°C during hot weather. I guess once they transition, temperature doesn't seem to be much of an issue for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Excel affects fissidens?
    Yeah, if Excel is directly dosed on or near fissidens, they will tend to melt... but after some time will recover.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

let me show you guys 1 month plus from the initial post... seems like the brown became "dead/rotting" yet some new green is growing.

I have stopped using Excel from quite sometime.
    currently using Aqua ZonicSlim LED lighting (15.2w) on for 8 hrs daily.

any idea why is this happening?

20140225_143201.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It does look quite mushy... like all tied in clumps.

When you got the fissidens, did they already come like that? Or did you tie them on in that way?

The usual method to put fissidens on mesh is to only lay them spaced out in individual strands, so that light can reach all of them, then eventually they will fill in on their own. If they are just tied in clumps, the majority of those at the base will tend to rot away as they don't get enough light.

Your new light with more power might help boost re-growth, hopefully they will recover over the next few weeks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm facing the same problem with US fissidens, and I do dose excel and its almost 2 months, browning and no growth haha. Will stop dosing for a month or so to see if it helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

With such a large wall, I think co2 will make your life a lot easier now that I think about it, I had similar problems when I bought a log with java moss tied on. Placed it in my low tech tank with excel dosing and it all browned and died. Not sure if this was due to the transition or the lack of co2 or direct effect of excel.

After transferring it to my high tech tank, eventually some new growth sprouted months later.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry about the delay, here's the pic of my fissidens on steel mesh:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393569302.652096.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393569314.462973.jpg

The one on the log is half algae and half fissidens it attaches itself very well to wood though!