Country
    Singapore

Daiso's Liquid Fertilizer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    20140207_180613.jpg

Above shows the actual bottle of the liquid fertilizer from Daiso, which I bought today, meant for my garden plants. As you can see the front label, there is a table indicating the concentrate includes the usual NPK we use also in aquarium, in equal portions. I seek any users who have used this product in their aquarium, if it is safe to be used in aquarium and won't harm any fishes, or, any experts on their thoughts on this. If it could be used safely in an aquarium, then it would be great savings for most of us here. Buying separate N, P and K from Seachem is costly, and this 250g concentrate from Daiso, is only $2! So experts out there, what is your take on this?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Daiso's Liquid Fertilizer

Hi, i am no expert but most garden fertilizer used ammonia for nitrogen,which will cause algae bloom.
    And the N P K ratio might be off as well for aquatic uses. You can try if you want and update us on the result.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    Hi, i am no expert but most garden fertilizer used ammonia for nitrogen,which will cause algae bloom.
    And the N P K ratio might be off as well for aquatic uses. You can try if you want and update us on the result.
    thanks bro! Taken note. I tried two bottle capsful to my 3 feet tank, so far my altums, suriname angels, discus and plecos are ok, no casualties. I will update if anything new development comes along.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wouldn't Dr Malik's concentrated lushgro be equally economical if you buy a big bottle and divide it up to several smaller bottles? Furthermore its specifically tweaked for aquariums. I'm thinking of getting the aquarium version but since its way too much for my 2ft tank, I was thinking of using the rest for as fertiliser for balcony garden plants. (except I don't know where to buy the stuff, I once passed by their new shop during weekday lunchtime but it was )closed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    Wouldn't Dr Malik's concentrated lushgro be equally economical if you buy a big bottle and divide it up to several smaller bottles? Furthermore its specifically tweaked for aquariums. I'm thinking of getting the aquarium version but since its way too much for my 2ft tank, I was thinking of using the rest for as fertiliser for balcony garden plants. (except I don't know where to buy the stuff, I once passed by their new shop during weekday lunchtime but it was )closed
    heard about someone here talking about the lushgro thingy. I think I just try this first. If I have a planted tank, I wouldn't worry much. Especially I got some expensive specimens. I just tried putting a capful to my 2 feet paludarium with many sakura shrimps inside. So far no casualties. Fingers cross.:-)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    (except I don't know where to buy the stuff, I once passed by their new shop during weekday lunchtime but it was )closed
    You can buy it online at
    http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/lu...ua-liquid.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just update. 24 hrs no casualties. All angelfish, plecos, tetras, shrimps, eating hungrily. Very healthy, no signs of stress or illness.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've used that daiso fert solution for my house plants too... the only issue i see is although the listed fert contents are similar to what we buy for aquariums, there is no info on how much ferts are in each volume of the solution or any dosage instructions specifically for aquariums (ie. aquarium fert mixes are usually specifically designed to be safe for fishes and shrimps, ie. no harmful chemicals or pesticides, low copper content etc). So basically it'll be like conducting an experiment in your tank.

I guess if you dose it progressively in small amounts and monitor closely, you'll be able see how much of it is effective to provide sufficient nutrients to the plants (but not algae) and yet still keep the water conditions balanced and safe for the fishes and shrimps over time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've used that daiso fert solution for my house plants too... the only issue i see is although the listed fert contents are similar to what we buy for aquariums, there is no info on how much ferts are in each volume of the solution or any dosage instructions specifically for aquariums (ie. aquarium fert mixes are usually specifically designed to be safe for fishes and shrimps, ie. no harmful chemicals or pesticides, low copper content etc). So basically it'll be like conducting an experiment in your tank.

I guess if you dose it progressively in small amounts and monitor closely, you'll be able see how much of it is effective to provide sufficient nutrients to the plants (but not algae) and yet still keep the water conditions balanced and safe for the fishes and shrimps over time.
    Thanks Bro Urban Aquaria. That is what I am trying to do now, experimenting with smaller dosage. On the bottle's label, as you can see in the photo, there is a table stating the proportion of the NPK value (6:6:6) I wonder what is the 6 value means. Though the number sounds like some scary infamous biblical representations!

So far, all my fishes and shrimps are healthy, as for the plants, i need to monitor closely for another few more days. I have no worries for Algae, as I have around 8 juvenile bristlenose plecos, 4 otos and 3 SAEs. The cleaning crew is doing a very good job in keeping my tank algae-free (before it was infested with BBA, GSA).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyboi View Post
    On the bottle's label, as you can see in the photo, there is a table stating the proportion of the NPK value (6:6:6) I wonder what is the 6 value means.
    Yeah, the numbers just indicate relative ratios between the NPK content (though still no indication of the exact amounts)... i remember buying another bottle of fertilizer from Daiso before which showed something like 6:10:4 ratio, and the whole bottle was covered in pictures of vegetables/fruits like tomatoes, eggplants and capsicum. I guess there are different versions of Daiso ferts with NPK ratios tweaked for growing either general foliage plants or vegetables or fruits.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, the numbers just indicate relative ratios between the NPK content (though still no indication of the exact amounts)... i remember buying another bottle of fertilizer from Daiso before which showed something like 6:10:4 ratio, and the whole bottle was covered in pictures of vegetables/fruits like tomatoes, eggplants and capsicum. I guess there are different versions of Daiso ferts with NPK ratios tweaked for growing either general foliage plants or vegetables or fruits.
    For this bottle, it is suitable for growing vegetables, garden plants and even cactus. They have a table to indicate how often you should fertilize the garden plants and cactus, and how much is needed in the mixture with water.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

erm there is no actual indication of how concentrate the NPK values are in the bottle.

Why not change more water to "reset" the fert concentration in the water. Change more if there's some algae reaction.. as in like Estimate index...

6-6-6 is NPK ratio...

you can see some samples here.
    http://www.gardenguides.com/91278-fe...r-flowers.html
    http://www.gardenguides.com/81381-plant-red-clover.html
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    erm there is no actual indication of how concentrate the NPK values are in the bottle.

Why not change more water to "reset" the fert concentration in the water. Change more if there's some algae reaction.. as in like Estimate index...

6-6-6 is NPK ratio...

you can see some samples here.
    http://www.gardenguides.com/91278-fe...r-flowers.html
    http://www.gardenguides.com/81381-plant-red-clover.html
    Thanks bro felix. So no algae at all, probably I got many cleaning crew in the tank. I will monitor further, if need be, I'll do water change. If not, I will just wait till the next water change before I switch back to my seachem routine, feel safer for my fishes. Daiso one, I'll keep solely for my garden plants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Be careful when using fertilizers meant for terrestrial plants in your aquarium. For aquatic fertilizers, we tend to use NO3 for nitrogen. For land plants, some use urea and others use ammonia compounds for nitrogen (cheaper). Your plants can still utilize them for sure. However, they are not optimal for aquatic use as presence of ammonia in the aquarium is never ideal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    Be careful when using fertilizers meant for terrestrial plants in your aquarium. For aquatic fertilizers, we tend to use NO3 for nitrogen. For land plants, some use urea and others use ammonia compounds for nitrogen (cheaper). Your plants can still utilize them for sure. However, they are not optimal for aquatic use as presence of ammonia in the aquarium is never ideal.
    Thanks, Bro Illumnae. That is why, i decided to change back to my Seachem dosing instead. I added Bioearth clay yesterday to absorb those harmful stuffs (hopefully it does), before my next water change this Friday. So far no casualties to my fishes yet. I will keep the Daiso fertilizers to my garden plants solely instead.

It is better to be safe than sorry. Or else I will loose all my expensive fishes like my Altums and Surinam Angelfish and my Blue Phantom plecos. :-) Scary...