Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Reliability of T5HO lighting system

Reliability of T5HO lighting system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does anyone used the Arcadia 4XT5HO overtank luminaire before? What's your comment on it? is it reliable?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hw........aaaaaaa!
    Acadia very X leh, don't think much Bros here into T5 too, maybe can try the marine side for comments.
    For me I think (Acadia T5) it is thumbs up, I have seen T5 (other makes) in action, very bright, IMHO better than PLLs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not too sure about the Arcadia ones. Not exactly common in the LFS.

However, Dymax has a normal T5 FL light set out in the market. Seems quite popular. I saw it at C328.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was quoted 530 dollars for Arcadia's HO T5 set.... However a point of note is that the aradia T5 that are included are for marine usage.... > 14 Kelvin. Was annoyed when they won't change it to a tropical type

The Overtank Luminaire was first debuted for Marine application. I heard gossip that Freshwater version is now available. Check with your local Arcadia dealer....in the mean time the SGD530 one could be an 'old' version....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, apparently the arcadia "t5 H0" system comes packaged with T8 light bulbs for marine tank...... For T5 , u need to get seperately. Ask properly before u get this.... There are NO tropical T5 tubes from arcadia only marine, don't believe check out their website, and I've asked the distributer here.... Only chance for you is to get other brands of T5 to replace for now....Anyway too expensive for a t5 system for only 4 tubes, pay premium for their casing and design....

Instead I went ahead and bought a dymax Hilux MH (2x 150w) with FL (2x30W) system with 6mths warranty ... I got them to change to 6500 Kelvin MH bulbs. Any comments on this black coloured MH system ? My tank is 2.5 ft deep....

I think the T5HO and MH are two different kinds of system each with their strength and weakness....If the Arcadia 100cm fit you (around 160Watt), then the Dymax might be too bright (over 300 Watts)...depth/size of the tank, the heat load generated etc. are some factors which you must take into account...

Decent T5HO from Deltec and ATI are available from eAquaNature...at around $55 each...

By the way, can you indicate where do you get the 6500K MH bulbs? Is it HQI or Mongul based?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My custom tank is about 120 gallons.... or about 350 litres of water.... It's deeper than normal tanks (2.5+ feet deep). Disappointed by Arcadia light set due to restrictions, T8 initially provided, and need to pay premium for new set of planted type T5 tubes.

Went for MH instead, mine is a HQI 6500k MH (aka double ended). Need to penetrate my deep tank .Cooling is done by fan, I bought a toyomi min ac fan clipped on (cheap 20+ dollars and powerful.... 25 W, consume about 0.1 A...) .

Oh for those who want cheap and good T5 HO tubes, you can try a brand called aquaz..... almost half the price of ATI ..... I heard good reviews about them and they also have tropical type T5. It's a local+italian company ....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone message me about dymax lights... For your info :

It only cost around 200 bucks for the pendant eclipse type

Either prefer the hanging type(pendant with only 1 bulb) or the long overtank piece with all the bulbs(can either hang from the ceiling or mount on the tank)

Dymax Hilux 6ft cost around 720 bucks.... It comes with 3 metal halides (150w) and 4 x 30 w flouresent tubes....

For 6ft tank I would recommend 3 metal halides (150w) , rule is 1 tube per 2 ft..... Take note the Hilux is heavy as everything is packed into a slim casing, I had to huff and puff to lug the 4ft hilux home.....

Help you summarize :
    Option 1 - 3 pendants of MH 3x150 watts , about 600 dollars
    Option 2 - 1 Hilux case of MH 3x150 watts and 4x30watts FL, about 720 dollars.
    NOTE:You must get them to replace the bulbs to 6000 to 10000 Kelvin for planted tank as all commercial MH comes with marine bulbs of range 14 Kelvin++.....

Visit http://www.adec.com.sg/ and check out dymax products and make the decision on your taste if you want to go for this particular brand.