Country
    Singapore

Green water in new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I proceeded as planned for my new 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 tank just before CNY. 1 x2217 connected to 1/10 chiller on the right. Another 2213 at the back left . Rocks are from my previous setup. Ada soil is brand new. Hc from fishy business.

Once fill up, there was a slight green tinge. Until today it's not cleared. NH4 and NO2 didn't really spike. No3 around 50ppm now. I using pure DI water for the whole tank. It's beside a window but I have the blinds drawn during the day.

Previously using the same tank same location never had green water. Any advices?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Green water in new tank

Hi,
    new ADA soil has a good amount of ammonia to kick start the nitrogen cycle in a tank.
    your filter is cycled? if yes, i think you can expect the nitrates to remain high for some time. if no, your ammonia and nitrates will increase for a while.

to remove excess nitrates, you can look at
    1. water changes (frequent or large amounts)
    2. put in nitrates sucker plants and do (1)
    3. plant heavily and do (1)

To remove the green water, the things to do are the same. essentially the green water (floating algae) is performing the role of the nitrates sucker. to do water changes will remove portions of the algae.

FYI, there are some forum-ers who would love to get green water!

there are some other ways to remove green water. like adding a UV filter to the tank and my favourite, adding daphnia.

ultimately, the tank and filter needs to be cycled. once the tank is established, water parameters are more stable and hence easier to diagnose/troubleshoot.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply.
    My rocks and media and filter is all in cycling stage. All 3 items reused. Bb would have perished long ago as I decomm my tank more then 6 mths back. Washed all items and kept in storage. 😄

Maybe the media dirty. I guess the green water is contributed by all the algae leftovers from my last setup. Rocks had quite a bit of algae previously. Am surprise after 6 months can still get green water from these previous algae... Hmmm...., maybe my hypothesis wrong.

Will try water changes.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The previous algae and dead bb, all contributes to decomposing biological material. The green water algae just happen to thrive in the conditions present in your tank water.

Green water is one of the easier algae to deal with. So no worries. Concentrate on the water changes and cycling of your filer and tank.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if green water to thick, it will block light and your plant will suffer. Do large water change regularly until it solved, if can't or no time, use UV sterilizer. It should clear within 2 or 3 days
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/