Country
    Singapore

Mini introduction blog

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all!

This is the first time I've posted in a forum (other than using my boyfriend's account to sell things at hardwarezone). However, ever since I've started this hobby last October, I've been reading the posts here.

Now that I'm getting to be more serious in this hobby, I decide to do my part and execute a more active participation as a member. They say it's seldom that girls would want to take up such a hobby, as the time and money needed could have been put into better use, from a girly girl's perspective. I'm not afraid to admit that it helps that my partner is doing it together with me. It beats being out in the streets, exposed to riots, drivers who thought they are starring in a James Bond movie and the national hobby of queuing up at places advertised in the media.

It started with my initial fascination in rearing goldfish after watching an interesting and heartwarming Hong Kong serial. My first tank was actually a ranchu tank. I bought a pair of ranchus from a fish shop along Tiong Bahru market and my boyfriend had named them E. and T., inspired from our initials. Although they are not considered top breed ($8 each only), they look lovely to me. Don't you agree? This had also ignited my boyfriend's interest to resume taking up this hobby again after many years and it helped that he had some knowledge to start me off.

And then my boyfriend bought me an IQ3 to place a decorative nano tank in my living room. After several re-scapes, and wonderful advice from Ronnie (Green Chapter) and Seah (Aquatic Connection Aquarium - Sims Place), I'm proud of my final attempt. I have 2 L182 starlight Plecos, about 15 green neon tetras, a horn snail (I prefer calling it bumble bee - much to the amusement of Ronnie) and some shrimps (red and yellow sakura, blue jelly). There are also moss balls, java ferns and fissidens on ADA substrate. This is considered mediocre I suppose, but I'm definitely delighted with this little creation.

At las, my boyfriend ordered a 2ft X 1.5ft 3-sided crystal glass tank to start me off with a high-tech aquarium. I have decided to do an Iwagumi - I love the idea of black volcanic rocks on a flat scape as to me its looks dreamy, endless and carefree, and I don't need to keep searching for my shrimps. I'm also wondering if I should venture to rear some discus, which might be too big for this tank. Anyway all the equipment is now in order and I would probably start scaping this week. Taking my time on this one.

By the way, I haven't started to talk about my marine tank. Haha... stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mini introduction blog

Welcome to AQ! That's a good start. You'll get perfect as it goes along.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello there,

Welcome to aq.
    Good to see a great self intro like this every now and then.

Hope to see a journal of the tank soon

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I dont want to be a wet blanket, but... first picture, tank will be too small for that 2 ranchu, they can grow up to real big size, and they poop alot. For the nano tank, the 3 shrimps will cross breed eventually, and you will soon have transparent with slight orangey tinge of cherry shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tanks! We have a lot in common - I'm also a girl and I've also been lurking around since late last year, but only starting posting a few days ago when I started my 1-ft tank. It's nice that your boyfriend's an enthusiast as well; mine isn't interested at all so there's no one to share all this excitement with. Hope to see more updates from you soon, especially about your marine tank!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to AQ! Female Aqua hobbists are becoming more common, a welcoming sight!
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm.. very nice! Keep it up!

Time for a larger tank!
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your encouragement! It's amazing what a few kinds words can do!
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all your encouragement! It's amazing what a few kinds words can do! I'm flattered that you took time to deliberate on my post, especially for seasoned hobbyists like yourselves.

Hey decidophobic, who says no one? We are all here ok! My boyfriend has 6 tanks now and is a senior member here already... he is too advanced to show any serious interest in my thoughts... keke

Hello Berny, you are spot on! The ranchu tank was largely recommended by the LFS - they probably didn't think my ranchus would survive long enough to feel they are getting too big for my tank! And yes, I was delighted to see about 20 over shrimplets and it was dampened by the sightings of grown ones with the exact description you had. Guess I have been googling to find out if red+yellow = orange. Will all types of shrimps will cross-breed? I love shrimps, but I guess I can only choose one type to keep in my new tank....
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

general rule of thumb for ranchu, 20gallon for first and 10gallom for subsequent ones. shrimps... there are more experts around than me, but yellow shrimp, Sunkist shrimp, blue or fire red belongs to same family. Google for shrimps cross breeding chart to get a better idea of what shrimps can be housed together

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wah.... 6 tanks and SENIOR here... DON'T PLAY PLAY!!! did i hear ADVANCED? lol...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops.. wrong term... he is a regular here as he participates much more than me... I thought I'm a "junior" so he should be a "senior"... haha.. he is advanced as compared to me...

Thanks for your advice Berny! Learnt some thing new! I find King Kongs very cute of late... they would be my first choice for now.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

king kong is not a shrimp for new player. need chiller and perfect water

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a chiller.... as for perfect water it would be a bit tricky... panda king kongs are not cheap I know... maybe cherry...
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Start from cheaper shrimp and move up would be good.

Your 2 feet coming soon should suffice as a good start as water parameters are easier to control.

P. S: no such thing as perfect water. Only water optimal for certain breeds. If you do visit GC, take a look at the higher ended shrimp tanks. Should have them written on... Not all are alike.

6 tanks? 2 footers? Deeply poisoned senior... Hahaha

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Felix! Thanks for your advice. No wonder my boyfriend refused to let me get those panda king kongs. He said, "Sure die!". That's it He has 6 tanks of all sizes - excluding 1 that was sold - probably under the spiritual influence of some tank chant.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmmm... the more you write the more curious i am on who your boyfriend is. hahaha. Paiseh, so kaypoh.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well Benny... you know he has a new, new year tank Keke... by the way I love kilis and had 2 in my IQ3!

I like to seek some advice on carpet grass. Is having marsilea minuta for carpet a good idea?
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wow. 6 tanks and a new new year tank.

girl friend has a marine tank and now planted and a new tank upcoming..

now i am curious who he is... got hint?
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha... I have already hinted!

Do you know something about MM as carpet grass?
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast