Country
    Singapore

Tank glue coming off

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

When i was cleaning my 1ft tank i noticed the silicone glue along the edges of the tank are coming off. Its causing the water to be a bit cloudy. What should i do? Is it toxic? The bought the tank from c328 less than 2 months ago. I read that silicone glue can be used to mend the tank but that means i have to remove and redo more or less the whole tank. Is silicone glue expensive? Where can i get it from?

I suspect that it is the cause of death for my guppies. Though there might be other reason The area around their gills were quite red and they became very lethargic. Always staying at the bottom. One by one the began to die off. I shifted the rest into a big container.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tank glue coming off

firstly, red gills might be caused by ammonia poisoning, same goes for lethargy at the bottom. for silicon, they're not that expensive from what I can recall, but to play safe test water parameters, transfer them to a pail and aerate the pail till the new tank is up.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I also read that ammonia poisoning causes red gills. That could be the cause. I will hunt for the silicone glue to fix up the tank. Any ideas where i might find some?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

C328 or aquastar or y618 should have some, east side if Singapore not too sure

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is the tank fully cycle by the way? it is most likely the common cause for deaths in a new tank.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by georgelam View Post
    Hi everyone,

When i was cleaning my 1ft tank i noticed the silicone glue along the edges of the tank are coming off. Its causing the water to be a bit cloudy. What should i do? Is it toxic? The bought the tank from c328 less than 2 months ago. I read that silicone glue can be used to mend the tank but that means i have to remove and redo more or less the whole tank. Is silicone glue expensive? Where can i get it from?

I suspect that it is the cause of death for my guppies. Though there might be other reason The area around their gills were quite red and they became very lethargic. Always staying at the bottom. One by one the began to die off. I shifted the rest into a big container.
    not easy to remove and redo the silicone glue and unless you are very handy. the end product will be very ugly due to uneven glue and excess glue at the edge, and our glue work might not be so "waterproof".

A lot of LFS do sell aquarium safe silicone glue, in my opinion, it is more for mending then to redo the whole work. not very expensive, 1 toothpaste size less than $10.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure how to cycle an empty tank. The tank does not have any substrate and I do not have any establish tank where I can use the biological filter or water. How should I go about cycling an empty tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

use fish food, let it decompose and let the Benificial bacteria grow in medias. Not too much to cause bacteria outbreak. alga alga, maybe a small scoop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I only intend to reinforce the peeling silicone. As the tank is not leaking I will try to apply on top of it. without removing the pre existing glue. Do you think that is possible?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using a small hang over filter. The sponge is really small. I'm thinking of placing a sponge at the filter intake. But haven found any sponge small enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I only intend to reinforce the peeling silicone. As the tank is not leaking I will try to apply on top of it. without removing the pre existing glue. Do you think that is possible?

I think that is what i am driving at. haha. you try reinforce it and you will realise how difficult it is to re do the whole thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using a small hang over filter. The sponge is really small. I'm thinking of placing a sponge at the filter intake. But haven found any sponge small enough.

You can buy some small ceramic rings to use as biological filters and filter wool as mechanical filter (which you can then cut to size)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    I think that is what i am driving at. haha. you try reinforce it and you will realise how difficult it is to re do the whole thing.
    Should I just a get new tank? I think the price for a new tank is about $10 for a 30 by 20 by 20 tank right? But then again it's quite new so I don't want to let it go to waste.

Do I put the ceramic rings in the tank? And have you tried tetra start safe or similar products that introduce BB into the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How bad is it, does it really have to reinforce it? You have to weight your choices. est $10 for glue or a $10 new tank?

Just put in the ceramic rings in the Hang on filter. it needs good water movement to feed the BB and optimise its effectiveness.

I am not rich so i rely on fishless cycle method. Bacteria colony will help in achieving the cycled stage. THere are many brands in the market. Since i have not try any, i shall not comment and give false results.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advise. I'll go and check out the glue and ceramic rings later.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

silicone can get from fish shop . don't buy the big tube though unless you need alot . ask for the smaller tubes . they come in tubes just like toothpaste.