Images
    Country
    Singapore

New to this fish thing, need help with plant, shrimp, fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My aquarium size is 200x200x265mm. got an in built water pump and overhead LED lights.
    Just bought some random aquarium sand and a $2 plant on a piece of drift wood. (looks like parsley)
    Set up has been running without any fishes for a day now.
    Want some info before i start buying other major stuff.

Need Help With This:

1) Would like to know what plant should I get and if the one I already have is ok for the shrimp. I've seen the moss but that cost like $20 for a small pack

2) I would like to know how many shrimp should I purchase to start.

3) Would guppies be ok? Can I add any other fish to the tank? Would a Kuhli loach makan all my shrimp?

4) Can anyhow add shrimp of different species bo?

Hope you can help me with this questions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to this fish thing, need help with plant, shrimp, fish

Hi sgdepuissance,

I am not a pro but I would like to offer some suggestion for your questions

1) Get some java moss or small java fern, as they do not require CO2 setup and they fair well under low-tech tank. Java moss are not that costly, around $2 per pack from LFS. $20 is a big NO NO!

2) Well just buy a pack of 5 shrimps (berried is good too) to kick-start your shrimp population will do.

3) I'm not a keeper of guppies or kuhli loach so I can't say much about it. As for other fishes, mosquito rasbora would be an ideal choice for a small tank. Remember since it is a small tank, do not overstock. Also make sure to finish cycling your tank before adding shrimp or fishes in to avoid casualties.

4) If you plan to anyhow mix shrimp species, you must make sure they are not from the same family group, if not cross-breeding will result in uglier shrimps. Hard to explain but you can read up on it.

Hope you find my suggestions useful

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1)A picture will be good to id. Try google tropica aquarium plants. Commonly available plants should be found there. Most plants should not be a problem for shrimps. However shrimp hobbists prefer plants that allow them to easily spot their shrimps as they tend to be difficult to spot in bushy plants mass.
    Look at tropica catalog, will give you more info as well as the Final layout look you decide to go for.

2)i hope you know about the nirtogen cycle for aquarium. Normally, 3 weeks for the beneficial bacteria to establish before live stock should be added. try to fight the urge and slowly add shrimps to allow time for the beneficial bacteria to build and accommodate the bioload of the tank occupants.

3) any living things that can fit in a fish's mouth, the fish will be tempted to try to eat. Prepare yourself to have loss shrimp if you decide to mixed shrimp and fishes together. Although, it is not entirely impossible just do not except to see 2nd generation of shrimps.

4) google planetinverts to research more on what can be mixed. But if you are not particular in keeping the line pure. Then just dump anything you like.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vipered View Post
    Hi sgdepuissance,

I am not a pro but I would like to offer some suggestion for your questions

1) Get some java moss or small java fern, as they do not require CO2 setup and they fair well under low-tech tank. Java moss are not that costly, around $2 per pack from LFS. $20 is a big NO NO!

2) Well just buy a pack of 5 shrimps (berried is good too) to kick-start your shrimp population will do.

3) I'm not a keeper of guppies or kuhli loach so I can't say much about it. As for other fishes, mosquito rasbora would be an ideal choice for a small tank. Remember since it is a small tank, do not overstock. Also make sure to finish cycling your tank before adding shrimp or fishes in to avoid casualties.

4) If you plan to anyhow mix shrimp species, you must make sure they are not from the same family group, if not cross-breeding will result in uglier shrimps. Hard to explain but you can read up on it.

Hope you find my suggestions useful
    Thx for the info, btw how much are the mosquito rasbora?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    1)A picture will be good to id. Try google tropica aquarium plants. Commonly available plants should be found there. Most plants should not be a problem for shrimps. However shrimp hobbists prefer plants that allow them to easily spot their shrimps as they tend to be difficult to spot in bushy plants mass.
    Look at tropica catalog, will give you more info as well as the Final layout look you decide to go for.

2)i hope you know about the nirtogen cycle for aquarium. Normally, 3 weeks for the beneficial bacteria to establish before live stock should be added. try to fight the urge and slowly add shrimps to allow time for the beneficial bacteria to build and accommodate the bioload of the tank occupants.

3) any living things that can fit in a fish's mouth, the fish will be tempted to try to eat. Prepare yourself to have loss shrimp if you decide to mixed shrimp and fishes together. Although, it is not entirely impossible just do not except to see 2nd generation of shrimps.

4) google planetinverts to research more on what can be mixed. But if you are not particular in keeping the line pure. Then just dump anything you like.
    Here are the Pics:

http://postimg.org/image/cs8ryuan9/
    http://postimg.org/image/hj2qa20nh/
    http://postimg.org/image/pkas5b3dl/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My guess will be 60cents to $2 per piece. I never buy before :P Can go down to C328 to confirm or call them. Any bros around can confirm price range?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, I would like to know how long I should cycle the water in the tank.
    As a newbie, should I just get cheap fishes to play around with first?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

shrimp can keep with tetra? i want to add shrimp to my tank and kuhli loach too, the loach will help eat up the bloodworm that escape to the bottom of the small stone gravel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sgdepuissance View Post

By the way, I would like to know how long I should cycle the water in the tank.
    As a newbie, should I just get cheap fishes to play around with first?
    The proper way should be using test kits to check the nitrite & nitrate to know if the tank is fully cycled. I estimate it to be at least 3 weeks and it can be kick start with some fish food left to decompose.

Of course you can use some commando fish to kick start the nitrogen cycle. But the question here is. What happens to the fishes when the tank is fully cycle? Hope you are keeping them, if not fish food should suffice.

Oh, by the way, SMS language is frown upon here , so try to use proper english. Enjoy AQ!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if it is my problem, but i can't see the pictures.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aj5122003 View Post
    shrimp can keep with tetra? i want to add shrimp to my tank and kuhli loach too, the loach will help eat up the bloodworm that escape to the bottom of the small stone gravel.
    I think the question is answered in the above thread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

will the kuhli loach help to eat up the bloodworm that escape to the gravel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

kuhli loach should eat the bloodworm, but i think shrimps will be eaten too given the chance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guess I just add kuhli loach first else later they multiple and breed in the stone

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That looks like Hygrophila Difformis (aka Water Wisteria) tied to a wood block... it's an easy fast growing stem plant, so a good choice for your tank.

Your tank volume works out to around 10 liters, and with the water level at 3/4 height, it'll only be around 7+ liters of actual water volume. For that small a water volume, it'll be best to keep the fish and shrimp stocking ratio low... perhaps 5-10 hardy red cherry shrimps will be okay for a start and if you want fishes, maybe at most 3-4 chili rasboras/boraras.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com