Country
    Singapore

temperature

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

A question I would like to ask, as I am thinking of setting up a tank in my room, but I sleep with air con on in the night,

just wondering, will the fluatuations in the temperature affect fishes like neon tetras, danios etc??

as I only on the air con at night so I am guessing temperature of the water will be ranging from 21 to 23 degree celcius to when air con is off at 27 to 30 degree celcius

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: temperature

They will survive...as long as the tank does not overheat in the day due to being in direct sunlight Amazon forest gets pretty cold at night too^^ so they can handle it

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed with GHD97 bro, but beside flucatuatin temperatures, you'll find that your water will evaporate very fast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by qngwn View Post
    Agreed with GHD97 bro, but beside flucatuatin temperatures, you'll find that your water will evaporate very fast.

I see... what about red cherry shrimps??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I tried to keep tetras in aircon room (night only). the temperature fluctuation always caused white spot .
    it happened couple of times till I gave up. all my other fishes survived like otos , L183, corys. temperature rang from 25 nite -28 day
    shrimps like red cherry can breed/survive in these conditions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tcg170980 View Post
    I tried to keep tetras in aircon room (night only). the temperature fluctuation always caused white spot .
    it happened couple of times till I gave up. all my other fishes survived like otos , L183, corys. temperature rang from 25 nite -28 day
    shrimps like red cherry can breed/survive in these conditions.
    I see... oh well decided to try it out just bought 2 packets of fire red from c328... keeping my fingers crossed and hoping they will survive.... my previous batch of red cherry in my other tank wasn't so good... now only left with 5 survivors...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with these guys, my tank contains neon tetras and fire red shrimp and both survive well, the shrimps breed in the tank. In the past, none of the shrimp would survive in the same room in a smaller (1.5ft) tank, so perhaps the rate of temperature change is also a factor - larger tank would reach the temperature extremes more gradually. The current tank is 2.5ft and although I don't use aircon every night, the temperature range is similar to what you've described.

Re white spot, once it's in your tank, any stressor to the fish (e.g other waste and not just temp) can cause the disease to start up again. From what I know, it doesn't come from tap water - either comes in on a fish (should be visible on the fish) or perhaps in contaminated LFS water? Eradication takes some effort and may be prolonged because of the various life stages of the parasite which are not all susceptible to medications.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tubularistical View Post
    I agree with these guys, my tank contains neon tetras and fire red shrimp and both survive well, the shrimps breed in the tank. In the past, none of the shrimp would survive in the same room in a smaller (1.5ft) tank, so perhaps the rate of temperature change is also a factor - larger tank would reach the temperature extremes more gradually. The current tank is 2.5ft and although I don't use aircon every night, the temperature range is similar to what you've described.

Re white spot, once it's in your tank, any stressor to the fish (e.g other waste and not just temp) can cause the disease to start up again. From what I know, it doesn't come from tap water - either comes in on a fish (should be visible on the fish) or perhaps in contaminated LFS water? Eradication takes some effort and may be prolonged because of the various life stages of the parasite which are not all susceptible to medications.
    I see.. side track, just wondering, I always see shrimp tank have some kind of dish or glass plate, I understand that is for feeding, but how does it work? i just take the dish out of the tank and put the food onto it?? where can I buy it?? and how much?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was just reading about that a few days ago! The dish is to keep the substrate clean to maintain water quality. People use various methods like pinch the food n put directly into dish or they have a glass tube like a chimney directly over the dish then they pour food into the opening at the water surface n it is guided down into the dish by the tube. I think you can use any inert material dish but some of the more plant/shrimp places like green chapter sell the aquarium-branded ones. Can't remember the price sorry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was just reading about that a few days ago! The dish is to keep the substrate clean to maintain water quality. People use various methods like pinch the food n put directly into dish or they have a glass tube like a chimney directly over the dish then they pour food into the opening at the water surface n it is guided down into the dish by the tube. I think you can use any inert material dish but some of the more plant/shrimp places like green chapter sell the aquarium-branded ones. Can't remember the price sorry
    sad.. 4 of my fire shrimps didn't made it... got another batch of 10 from Y618 and a feeding dish from there for 1.50 for the small sized one... now doing the the drip acclimatisation for my new shrimps... I am using my extra filter hose to guide the food down to the dish haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah I used to have problems with shrimp dying (like an entire bag of 15 within 1 week). In the end what worked was I bought a bag of 50 shrimp and the fittest did survive and bred, nature at its best I have fish so my shrimp just eat leftover fish food and I'm quite an expert algae grower so they seem to do fine without special shrimp food or shrimp plates

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah I used to have problems with shrimp dying (like an entire bag of 15 within 1 week). In the end what worked was I bought a bag of 50 shrimp and the fittest did survive and bred, nature at its best I have fish so my shrimp just eat leftover fish food and I'm quite an expert algae grower so they seem to do fine without special shrimp food or shrimp plates
    yea totally agreed, till date I have lost about 15 to 16 shrimps now left with about 14 shrimps left in my 1 feet tank.. tested water parameters is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40 which is a bit high, gh 3 and kh 1 with ph 6.8 going to get some frogbits to absorb the nitrate already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good idea, 40 is not massively high but I guess the lower the better! My tank is heavily planted (algae farm) so I've never seen much elevation in nitrates

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

anyway, is a 2213 attached to a hailea 130a chiller enough for a say 60litres tank??