Country
    Singapore
    Interesting read! Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I like to see what these sites sayevery so often:

Wonder who came up with the NH4=> causes algae idea?

It was not ADA, Dupla, or Dennerle.

O2 does not favor algae anymore than it does plants.
    Both have mechanisms to deal with high O2.

Plants do NOT need a reductive enviroment to grow well, this is very clear in our tanks(eg all the O2 pearling etc and thriving plant growth have extremely high Redox values, not low ones), the natural systems where plants grow best are not reductiove nor acidic, they are clear hard water systems, both Claus from Tropica and I have been to these areas, I did my grad work on one such system specifically on the algae.

I do not believe that there is enough NH4 in inorganic form to cause the reaction mentioned here. Additionally, the pH in the external environment is radically different than that of the plant cell. I do not follow the argument here, it does not make sense.
    pH might affect external transporters perhaps.

2-3ppm of O2 is pretty low for fish IME/IMO.
    Algae blooms in full sun light might get up to 200-400% saturation, but that is almost never the case in our tanks due to algae.

20-30ppm of CO2 is fine, but no one said this high till I suggested it a long time ago, prior, it was unheard of to suggest more than 15ppm and never more.

Research shows that for any light intensity(eg full sun even) that 30ppm is the max amount needed for fast growth weed like submersed aquatic plants(see Bowes).

This company also suggest using algicides etc but thn retracts it in other places.

I have rock hard tank water, the KH is 5x their suggestion, I have never had any issues.

Biotrop:

I was unaware that NO3 causes algae and depresses plant growth, the research I've seen suggest otherwise and I kill aquatic plants as my day job.
    Please come tell my weed problem to die in the rich NO3 waters of the CA delta
    Sediment and the substrate does a fine job as far dealing with bacterial denitrification but the plants stop the NO3 before it gets to that point.

Aquatic Angiosperms have been aquatic for many years and are among the oldest Angiosperm plants, see Aquaphyte for a reference for recent paleobotnatical find in China.

1:400 is the ratio for H2CO3 vs CO2, not 0.1%

CO2 table is nice.

Companies want your $ and will sell you things you do not need(but might try).
    Marketing and science are two quite different things.

Regards,
    Tom Barr