Thread: Dry fert dosing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dry fert dosing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My tank is 322 with 5 x 39T5HO (8 hours), co2 at 2-3 bps and I faced huge problem twice while dosing dry ferts into my tank and the whole tank turn out to be cloudy and green and I have to blackout my tank for 2-3 days without lights before I can see clearer water.

I have the 3 dry ferts bought from eco hyponics namely Cano3, K2S04 & KH2P04 as well as a bottle of
    seachem comprehensive from lfs.

I base my dosing on the below which is quite similar to my tank size found on web :-

60-80 Gallons
    3/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week
    3/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
    1/4 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
    1/4 tsp (15ml) traces 3x a week

I dose 3/4tsp of can03, 1/4 tsp of Ks204 & 1/8 of Kh2p04 for 3 alternate days and then in between I dose 5ml of seachem comprehensive.

The first week was still ok but it started to get green water soon after despite water change so I think somewhere is wrong.

Basing on the above dosage, am I doing correctly or is it under or overdosage ? I have read somewhere that overdosage will only go to wastage but will have an algae boom if underdosage so where am I at now ? Is the disaster occur due to underdosage ?

I just did some change on my tank setup whereby I place the diffuser directly under my canister inlet as well as placing my sparybar by the side to improve water circulation. For now, I am going to go slow and dose much lesser maybe 2 times instead of 3 of the 3 dry ferts and not going to add comprehensive in between and see how it goes.

Please provide your valuable feedback and suggestion as I do not wish to see green water in my tank anymore as I never experience green water ever in my past when I only dose comprehensive once or twice a week and only did water change 2 times a mth.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dry fert dosing

How much plants do you have in the tank and the type of plants?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Dry fert dosing

Here is a pic of my current tank as I tore down my previous setup and change to japanese hairgrass and APP for foregournd but unsuccessful. I only started dosing dry ferts when I start to change to jpg and got algae boom, after which I blackout for couples of days and didnt bother with the tank for weeks. After that I tried APP and same dosage and again algae boom and whole tank infected with green water again.

So now is my 3rd try on dry ferts on marselia hirsuta and hope wont fail again.

ABCDE.jpg