Country
    Singapore

Over-run by algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone

My tank has recently been over-run by the algae shown in the attached photo. I'm not too sure what type it is. Can someone please help to identify it? The algae growth exploded when the recent weather increased my tank's water temperature. Now I'm at a lost for what to do. I have been manually removing the algae but it just grows back stronger.

Here are my tank specs :

Size : 1.5ft
    Lighting : UP Aqua Z LED (4 - 5 hrs daily)
    Filter : GEX L HOF with the sponge cartridge and Biohomme media + Mr Aqua CR
    Temp : 26 - 27 degrees Celsius (down from 28-29 after I recently installed a Dymax Vortex fan)
    Flora : Java fern, Java moss, pondweeds
    Fauna : 1 betta edithae and 1 zebra nerite snail

I only have test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but have not tested in a while. I do not know the other parameters. Please advise on what I can do to deal with the algae. Thank you!

20140221_121206.jpg

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Over-run by algae

Staghorn algae
    Low CO2 and/or poor water circulation. A tank with overfed fish and accumulated mulm. Dirty filter. Also disturbing dirty substrates without doing water change afterwards.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like thread algae.

How are your nitrate levels?

remove all the algae you can see, do a major water change and improve your circulation. add malayan shrimp if the situation does not improve.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the replies. Blue, I don't overfeed my fish. Since there's only one betta in there, I handfeed it and make sure it eats everything. I also do not inject CO2 so perhaps that could be a contributing factor? But most of my plants are slow-growers.

Eric, I haven't tested my nitrate levels in a while. Shall get to it when I'm free tomorrow and also do a large water change. Is 50% enough? How do you advise I improve my circulation? Thanks! As for shrimps, I can't add any because my betta will very quickly finish them off. I used to have 2 yamatos in there and they didn't stand a chance.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Low CO2 and/or poor water circulation

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Unmarked View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Blue, I don't overfeed my fish. Since there's only one betta in there, I handfeed it and make sure it eats everything. I also do not inject CO2 so perhaps that could be a contributing factor? But most of my plants are slow-growers.

Eric, I haven't tested my nitrate levels in a while. Shall get to it when I'm free tomorrow and also do a large water change. Is 50% enough? How do you advise I improve my circulation? Thanks! As for shrimps, I can't add any because my betta will very quickly finish them off. I used to have 2 yamatos in there and they didn't stand a chance.
    I can't advice properly unless i can see the layout of your tank. Sometimes the hardscape blocks the flow of the water, causing "dead spots" in the tank where water circulation to be poor.
    Or the flora in the tank has grown and the foliage is blocking water flow.

That said... in your situation, its tricky. because its a betta tank.

bettas (in my knowledge) don't like water currents.. which means your circulation problem may not be solvable, unless you choose and place your pumps and filter out/inlets strategically.
    algae crew that eats thread algae are shrimps in my knowledge. maybe bristlenose plecos can help, but i am not sure as i have no experience with that pleco in my planted..

Other information :

No CO2, means that your tank gets its CO2 from the environment, things like your fauna and diffusion from the air through the water surface. in this manner, the CO2 levels in the water is very low. that means that the amount of flora in the tank has to be very low. too much flora and you will see that the plants might be dying slowly.

so low amount of plants equals to uptake or nitrates and other nutrients to be low.. which gives algae a chance to grow, as the requirements for their growth are lower.

the water change is to reset the nutrient balance in the tank. so removing the excess algae and frequent water changes keep water parameters constant and the nitrates/nitrites low.
    I am balding but i am still young!