Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimps keep dying.. don't know which is the cause..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimps keep dying.. Dunno which is the cause..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Agree with Eric. With your ph. Both species should sit comfortably. Get some test kits.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will do tt after 5 march but hor is it normal if shrimp die without shell but just the meat? Seriously I think I got something wired in my tank

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp die without shell??? Probably it has a shell but it is not hardened yet. Likely to be a molting issue. Do you have any mineral stone or dose any mineral?

Oh yah. You might want to watch out for your sms lingo. Please use complete english.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys I'm using soil from crs haven and been cycling tank for about a week and a half. I used crs liquid bacteria, mosura bt9 and a zoo max bio ball, suddenly my water turn cloudy and it has been like that for 5 days already. What is happening? Should I change all the water or? Ammonia reads at 1ppm and no nitrite, about 6.6 ph

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi gigisakura I don't think the worms are a problem unless they appear on your shrimps.

I've got a few pointers and hopefully it will help you.
    -temperature
    hopefully you can get it below 26 degrees because they like cool water.
    temperature fluctuation may also be a problem

-flow rate of your pump
    Is it like a washing machine inside? I used to have strong currents and my prawns don't really venture around my nano tank.
    After lowering the flow rate they look happier and some even molted during that time.

-planted/not planted
    For me personally, I don't really use much plants like java moss and other aquatic plants because I want to reduce the chance of any problems caused by plants.
    I only use moss tied to a rock as a feeding area so the food won't get sucked into the soil and some floating plants to extract nitrates. They like to hang out under the roots too.

-mineral levels in water
    I also invested in a tds meter so I can control the water perimeters. You have to get this equipment to ensure your water perimeter stays constant. eg. tap water and water in your tank has different readings, mixed together your shrimp may get shocked from the change.

If you live near me I don't mind lending my tools to help you out.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi guys sorry for hijacking gigisakura's thread. i bought vermex to eliminate the white worms. the instructions o the bottle says to cotinue treatment after 3 days of the first one. and said that the worms will be gone in 24 hours... its been 3 days and yet the worms are still around.

so what should i do? will adding cardinal tetra help me eliminate the worms ?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Filzan, are you using carbon filtration?
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Filzan, are you using carbon filtration?
    hi eric,

yup my hangover filter is a carbon filter. since the filter material is called carbonized poly fiber.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The little white detritus worms are normal in aquariums... their population increases and decreases depending on how much "food" (ie. excess pellets or wafers, or rotting plant matter) for them to consume and reproduce. They are basically part of any aquatic ecosystem and help process excess waste.

They are harmless to shrimps, its only when the worm population grows too large then it'll just look unsightly with so many crawling around.

The worms are usually more noticeable in shrimp-only tanks because there are no fishes to eat them, so adding a few small fishes like boraras will clear them up and help keep the worm population to a minimum... the fishes will become nice and fat for a while too.

Although small fishes do hunt new-born shrimplets if they get the opportunity, with enough hiding places and low ratio of fish vs shrimps (ie. 1 x boraras : 20 x shrimps), the majority of shrimplets will usually survive long enough to adulthood and the shrimp population will continue to grow.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 1st Mar 2014 at 17:26.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Filzan View Post
    hi eric,

yup my hangover filter is a carbon filter. since the filter material is called carbonized poly fiber.
    If you do not want to out in a few fish to control the worms and want to make use of vermex, you will need to remove the carbon filtration during the course of dosing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you do not want to out in a few fish to control the worms and want to make use of vermex, you will need to remove the carbon filtration during the course of dosing.
    yo bro eric.

i have removed the carbon filter and did my vermex dosing. since i have no fishes inside my tank i went to give an additional 2 drops of vermex .
    Hoping that the worms will disintergrate into thin air .

thanks for the advice bro will let everyone know if it works haha.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The little white detritus worms are normal in aquariums... their population increases and decreases depending on how much "food" (ie. excess pellets or wafers, or rotting plant matter) for them to consume and reproduce. They are basically part of any aquatic ecosystem and help process excess waste.

They are harmless to shrimps, its only when the worm population grows too large then it'll just look unsightly with so many crawling around.

The worms are usually more noticeable in shrimp-only tanks because there are no fishes to eat them, so adding a few small fishes like boraras will clear them up and help keep the worm population to a minimum... the fishes will become nice and fat for a while too.

Although small fishes do hunt new-born shrimplets if they get the opportunity, with enough hiding places and low ratio of fish vs shrimps (ie. 1 x boraras : 20 x shrimps), the majority of shrimplets will usually survive long enough to adulthood and the shrimp population will continue to grow.
    boraras is rasboro isit bro urban ?

yea i cant really put any fishes inside my tank yet since it is not fully cycle its only been 2 weeks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

boraras is rasboro isit bro urban ?

yea i cant really put any fishes inside my tank yet since it is not fully cycle its only been 2 weeks
    Well, boraras are actually a different genus type from rasboras... though their old trade names tend to still get mixed together by sellers.

For example, Boraras Brigittae are commonly referred to as Chili Rasbora at most LFS.

You can read more about them in this guide:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2713

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Well, boraras are actually a different genus type from rasboras... though their old trade names tend to still get mixed together by sellers.

For example, Boraras Brigittae are commonly referred to as Chili Rasbora at most LFS.

You can read more about them in this guide:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2713

thanks bro urban. cause i did a yahoo search for boraras but rasbora came out instead. i guess i will put the fish in if my vermex didnt work out. after 1 day the worms are still around

my hairgrass seems to be growing fine. abit half hearted to reset the tank again shall add boraras in if my vermex fail

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Took out my carbon filter, did vermex dosage for 4 days. mini white worms on tank walls are reduced by like 30% on day 3. On day 4 amount of mini white worms surprisingly when back to same amount. looks like vermex didnt work for me

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Took out my carbon filter, did vermex dosage for 4 days. mini white worms on tank walls are reduced by like 30% on day 3. On day 4 amount of mini white worms surprisingly when back to same amount. looks like vermex didnt work for me

thats peculiar to hear. out of my curiosity does the worms look like
    http://foro.acuarios.es/attachments/...ia-larva-1.jpg
    credits of the picture belongs to the owner. not me.

Also, whats the dimension of your tank and its filled to what level? how many drops of vermex did you use?
    can take a picture of "Water fall Filter big power hooked to baby fish air pump filter"?

Thanks. I want to know in what situation does vermex not work.. i sure do not want to recommend it to others in future if a similar case appears..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess for best results, the Vermex treatment has to be done in conjunction with general tank cleaning and reduction of feeding, because if the substrate is still full of excess food particles, the worms would still have ample food to keep multiplying.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thats peculiar to hear. out of my curiosity does the worms look like
    http://foro.acuarios.es/attachments/...ia-larva-1.jpg
    credits of the picture belongs to the owner. not me.

Also, whats the dimension of your tank and its filled to what level? how many drops of vermex did you use?
    can take a picture of "Water fall Filter big power hooked to baby fish air pump filter"?

Thanks. I want to know in what situation does vermex not work.. i sure do not want to recommend it to others in future if a similar case appears..

hehe sorry bro eric i hijacked this thread. it is the threadstarter gigisakura is the one that uses baby fish air pump filter. i am using just a normal hang over filter.

will try to give you the other details asap.

anyway my worms i think the closest is nermatodes
    check this link out the second worm classification
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...s-in-tank.html

this is the closest i can see mine definitely not planaria.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If it's nematodes... It should be safe.. All tanks would have them. It is very common. Soon you would also see seed shrimps all over your tank also. Hahaha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps keep dying.. Dunno which is the cause..

Guys, just want to let you all know. Having nematodes in your tank, especially in new tanks are pretty common. If you google around, they are the most common living things or the most simplest life form, they are like everywhere. Using of vermex (chemical treatment) usually are last resort as they are harmful to shrimps. So after using it, you will have to clean your tank thoroughly, even your gravel, You will have to use activated carbon in your tank and let it running in your tank at least a week or two to clean your water from any chemical.

If you see empty shrimp shell in your tank, those translucent type, those are leftover shell when a shrimp molt. So when a shrimp die, you will see a pale shrimp or a orangy shrimp with meat in it.

To solve the nematodes issue, I would suggest you to use fishes to control them. Small fishes like rasbora, golden spotted danios are a good choice as I have them in my current tank and they do not disturb them, even the shrimplets.

Then we come to tank cycling issue. I find that the number of plants in your tank is a bit too little. In a proper cycle, ammonia is convert to nitrite then from nitrite to nitrate. This nitrate will be further reduce either by regular water change or by plants intake. So when you have a lot of plants, you do not have to change water regularly. Regular water change is like 20% every week or even more depends on the amount of life stocks in your tank. Also what are the kinds of bio media are you using in your filter?
    Last edited by seudzar; 5th Mar 2014 at 17:09.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast