Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: what's the Nana look like when it is fully grown?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

what's the Nana look like when it is fully grown?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey brothers,

im thinking of getting somemore Nanas cos my like cannot make it cos if too many light my mother scold me and charge me for the electric bill.

My sole nana has grown at least an inch in a week. I would like to ask how big/far can it grow? will it sprout flowers? if it does, does it die naturally?

-------------

my tank

2x1x1.5
    no Co2
    01x Cheap angel fish
    02 x SAE
    3-4 yamatoes
    06x glass tetras
    50 neon tetras

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is bigger than the size of my hand. I guess it can go bigger

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Anubias nana can spread quite far. However, a better way of getting more plants is to cut the rhizome into two or more pieces (depending on the size of the plant). After a period of slow growth, these rhizomes will each produce healthy plants.

It will take some time to get a decent cover of Anubias nana, however. Rich nutrient conditions (base fert or water column) helps significantly.

It can flower very frequently if there is enough phosphate in the water column.

Carlos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey
    what do you mean by water column?

do you mean the content of the water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: what's the Nana look like when it is fully grown?

May i suggest that 50+ tetras is rather crowded for a 2 ft tank.... my amazing powers of prediction also forecast a rapid, natural winnowing of the stock.

The term Nana is being wantonly applied by LFS and hobbyists on any member of the Anubias genus.... do look through the plant gallery for pictures of different Anubias species to see which species is your plant. "Nana" specifically refers ONLY to the dwarf form of Anubias barteri, and this variety remains small (leaves max. 1.5-2 inches diameter), while most other varieties of Anubias barteri get much larger. Anubias plants will do fine without Co2 addition, in low light and low maintenance tanks.

On the electric bill, you can savely tell your mum that professionals in the power industry (incl. those from this forum) estimate that even if you switch on your FL or PL tubes for your 2ft tank for 8-10 hours a day (and filters for 24/7), it will cost only a few extra cents at most each month. It's things like aircon, kettles, ovens, stoves, fridges and other high heat-cold generating appliances that suck up the most electricity, not aquarium lights or filters.

Please do make full use of the gallery and articles in the forum. I am actually thinking they should be taken down, flogged and incinerated, since nobody seems to use them, but you could certainly prove me wrong.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    "Anubias plants will do fine without Co2 addition, in low light and low maintenance tanks. " - budak

This is very high standard to achieve. Why? You can't pack the tank with critters, less feeding, more algae-control crews, less water change and etc.

It takes alot of discipline to keep low-maint. tank, as I cannot leave things alone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Actually it shouldnt be too difficult. In larger (2ft or more) tanks, you can stock a reasonably large critter-load such that the plant is kept well fertilised. In any case, with the low bioload, low energy input type of tank, plants will tune down their activity accordingly, so the really important variable is still the hobbyist's discipline, as you said.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hi folks,
    I agree with budak's explanation on "nana's " definition but in reality there are various type of anubias nana itself.
    Now at least I collect 5 different types of anubias nana.
    But again nana size should be smaller compare to other anubias family.
    The smallest one is anubias nana "petite"
    Cheers

AChen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

yes, there are indeed a number of cultivars of the "nana" variation, with different colours and leaf shapes (wrinkled, undulated etc), but their growth pattern and size are basically the same. Only the "petite" is markedly smaller than the regular nana. Go to my article on Oriental Aquarium to see a size comparison between nana and petite in the gallery.

on the taxonomy of species (as compared to the simpler but confusing use of pau kah liao common names). Anubias barteri (should be italicised) refers to a species of Anubias, of which there exist several natural variations, e.g. coffeefolia, nana. Variations (e.g. stardust, gold, marbled) that are established due to selective cultivation (rather than natural selection) are known as cultivars. i.e. Anubias barteri var. nana "Gold". The "Petite" form appears to be a variation, not a cultivar.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello folks.

i only know that some plants require little lighting thast why i got nanas.
    what does winnowing mean? do you mean minnowing?
    Anyway i realised i over load, but it doesnt really matter cos the neon were $7 for 50 (cheaper in packet).

i went thru the gallery but couldnt see the full pic.

also i went thru the tank gallery, so far i only saw one Nana tanks. The other tanks with nanas are the aro tanks. Thats why i thinking maybe people should advertise their low light tank mah. sorry for any misunderstaning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Just stick to your nanas and your planting scheme should be fine. I can't say the same unfortunately for your soon-to-be-winnowed flock of tetras though. But anyway, they are just little fish that don't cost much, so I guess that doesn't matter.

...... *ahem*

The site has a Tank Gallery featuring member's wonderful planted setups... it also has a gallery of plant and fishes called a "FLORA/FAUNA ALBUMS". If you go there and search for Anubias in the plants section, I am sure your time won't be wasted.... i can't say the same for mine though.

BTW, I am curious as to your choice of nick... care to share?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i checked the gallery... but some of the set ups i cannot afford in the sense i can afford the light... bu tmy mum will strangle me every month. my 2 feet using pathetically 30 watts of fl...

as for my nick (which we digressed a lot) some one here know the origin of my nick. For me i choose the nick because it is also my ICQ's nick. for those who don't know, Franz Kafka wrote a book (in czech) that translated goes something like this....

Gregorsamsa awoke from a night of unpleasant dreams to find himself transformed into a gigantic bug (metamorphosis)

cheers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0e4266f9de="gregorsamsa"]i checked the gallery... but some of the set ups i cannot afford in the sense i can afford the light... bu tmy mum will strangle me every month. my 2 feet using pathetically 30 watts of fl...
    [/quote:0e4266f9de]

Why don't you show her the calculations that it will only cost her a few extra cents a month?

I calculated my electricity bill that my tanks cost me every month, a mere $2.00 plus i remember.

Just click tank calculators on the top of this page.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

ya, squee, you should post some tips on how to demystify parents who think a 30W light is extravagant but don't care a hoot about running aircons through the weekend. Unless you are running chillers or multiple MH lights, aquarium equipment hardly figures in household power bills.

gregorsamsa, I was referring for your reference to the flora albums which show the different Anubias species – not the tank gallery.

Don't mind me, I like stamping on virtual beetles that bug me but I am inclined to give man-sized ones, even those who overcrowd their tanks, some slack, as such nightmarish metaphors of social vermin are arguably rare species.