Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need help with aquascaping and browning plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I recently set up my new tank. Admittedly it was a little rash the way I bought the plants. Rather random. Decided I may take some plants out if they don't work. I think I'm liking the hair grass carpet growth

Two questions:
    1. Any suggestions how to aquascape my tank to make the fish less stressed? I have a dwarf gourami that seems quite stressed. Maybe not enough hiding places?

2. The tank at the back left, the most leafy one, showing some brown spots. What fertilizers should I do? I have a DIY CO2 kit running, and will change to a CO2 tank soon. Lighting is quite bright 3 plant lights shining from 10am to 9pm daily.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393567667.728844.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393568009.444109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help with aquascaping and browning plant

Question 1: the gourami new to the tank? Maybe it's getting used to the tank.. Another thing that might stress the fish is that the water parameters are not right for it. If the tank is still cycling, ammonia and nitrites would be high.

Question 2: the leafy plant is an echinodorus. You might want to pull the plant a little higher to expose the crown (the part of the plant linking the roots to the plant). So as long as you see new leaves popping out, you can trim off the old dying leaves. Brown spots typically means low nitrates. But that could mean the plant root system is not yet developed. That's why the plant is not getting enough nitrates through the roots.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice! Ya I assume my tank is still cycling as it's fairly new. Any "must buy" fertilizers I should use?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

As of now, the next thing on your mind should be co2. Because you have a fair amount of plants. Once they start spreading and growing, plant mass increases, their co2 requirement will increase. Once you increase co2, then you can get those comprehensive macro ferts like lushgro macro and micro ferts like lushgro micro. Or you can look at borneowild and Ada series. So many choices!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice! I just got back my CO2 tank! How much should I be adjusting it to be optimal for my tank?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wah, for this we will need to know what co2 diffusion you are using and whee the diffuser is placed. Normally I tell my friends to start with 3bps for a 3ft tank and adjust up or downwards depending on what happens afterwards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kennyjxlee View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Ya I assume my tank is still cycling as it's fairly new. Any "must buy" fertilizers I should use?

I thought I saw a non-aquatic fern at the background? You might want to monitor that. Dwarf gourami is a shy fish in community fish tank, but not went they are well fed and become "inquisitive" to new fish introduced into their territory. The enjoy being with their own kind. They also prefer lower PH environment like betta. Ya, dwarf gourami tried to meddle with my large Amanao shrimp but go kicked by the shirmps...hahaha
    Last edited by bluebubbles; 1st Mar 2014 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bluebubbles is right about the non aquatic fern. Best to remove it before it starts dying..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ya I decided to remove it. The other plants are doing well besides one yellow spot.