Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    and for the fan size of 1 feet tank? is it the bigger the better? i heard people uses computer fan?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

Quote Originally Posted by wongwong View Post
    Is it me or otocinclus look alot like SAE when i google for its image?
    Yeah, both fishes do have some resemblance, especially the common otocinclus species which have a black stripe in the middle.

The main difference is SAE are usually bought as baby or juvenile size at 3-4cm from LFS and eventually grow to 14+ cm in length, and they have mouths adapted to biting strands of algae (rather than scrubbing, so they can't stick to aquarium glass)... while otocinclus are usually bought at nearly adult size of 2-3cm from LFS and only grow up to max 4+ cm in length, and they have mouths adapted to scrubbing flat surfaces for algae (hence they can stick to aquarium glass).

for the fan if the evaporation is high and i if i keep topping up the water with fairprice water will it be harmful to my shrimps?
    If you top up with distilled or RO water (ie. water with zero mineral content), then it helps to prevent the TDS levels from gradually increasing after each top-up... though that is more of a practice by those who keep the more sensitive shrimps like CRS species which have a lower tolerance to fluctuating TDS levels and need the TDS to be kept at a narrow range.

RCS shrimps are not as sensitive to changing TDS levels, as long as the changes are gradual they can adapt to it quite well, so its not really necessary to specially use distilled/RO water to do top ups in their tank, most RCS keepers just use de-chlorinated tap water for top-ups.

Its no harm to use distilled or RO water as top-ups for RCS tanks though, it just depends on how much extra expense and effort you are willing to go through everyday.

I also have a young endler wondering is it shrimp and shrimplets safe?
    Endlers will usually leave the adult shrimps alone but will hunt shrimplets (even the young endlers will hunt shrimplets too, they are actually even better at it as they are small enough to go into shrimp hiding places).

and for the fan size of 1 feet tank? is it the bigger the better? i heard people uses computer fan?
    Usually when you buy aquarium fans, they would have a tank size recommendation for the various models... a larger fan helps to cool down the water faster but the evaporation will be even quicker, and there is still a maximum limit to the amount of temperature reduction for fans (whether large or small fan, still only 2-3°C temperature reduction). The main consideration with a larger fan is whether you have enough space to fix it on the small tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria brother,

so happy now i bought the DYMAX W7 fan, after installation mere 1 min the temperature starts to drop from 29.2 to 27.4 at night.

After the temperature reach around 28 i saw all of my sakura shrimp came out to stroll!!! which i have never seen before!! they are always hiding! they even start to nibble the pellet that i drop although they still never finish....

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria brother,

so happy now i bought the DYMAX W7 fan, after installation mere 1 min the temperature starts to drop from 29.2 to 27.4 at night.

After the temperature reach around 28 i saw all of my sakura shrimp came out to stroll!!! which i have never seen before!! they are always hiding! they even start to nibble the pellet that i drop although they still never finish....
    Congrats! hope the evaporation is not too much for you.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks uncle eric!

actually the evaporation is quite high... but as long my shrimps are happier if i topup water everyday or week still depends i dont mind~

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks uncle eric!

actually the evaporation is quite high... but as long my shrimps are happier if i topup water everyday or week still depends i dont mind~
    OK. thats good to hear!

if you had a chiller.... the shrimps will be even happier...................................................... poison!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha.... must resist temptation haha

this month pocket burn big big liao

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So after my "Research"

following are shrimp and shrimplet safe?
    -Oto
    -Boraras Brigittae (lesser casualty only not safe~)

(any more fish?)
    any stuff that can fight algae other then oto?
    - just remove yamato the gangster....
    - not a snail person....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So after my "Research"

following are shrimp and shrimplet safe?
    -Oto
    -Boraras Brigittae (lesser casualty only not safe~)

(any more fish?)
    any stuff that can fight algae other then oto?
    - just remove yamato the gangster....
    - not a snail person....
    Otocinclus are confirmed safe with shrimps and shrimplets, and they specialize in eating algae.

Boraras Brigittae are safe with adult shrimps but will hunt and eat new-born 2-3mm size shrimplets (but after a 1-2 weeks when the shrimplets grow larger they will not be targets anymore), the key is to make sure you have a low fish to shrimp ratio, like 1 boraras vs 10 shrimps, and there are dense plant mass for the shrimplets to hide in... this is so that even if the few boraras manage find and eat some shrimplets, the overall shrimp population can still grow with the higher reproduction and survival rate.

There are the other types of boraras like merah, maculatus, urophthalmoides, they all have similar behaviors.

You can consider other small fishes like microdevario kubotai or sundadanio axelrodi too, abit more rare to find but from my experience can also be kept with shrimps.

Algae eaters for small tanks tend to be rather limited due to the size factor. An alternative are the "small" plecos like L183 starlight pleco or the bristlenose pleco... but although they are sold as small juveniles at 3-4cm at LFS, they will eventually grow up to 15+ cm in length (too large for a 1ft tank).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh Thank Urban Aquria Brother,

I went to your blog and love your puddle garden and i most likely will get Otocinclus Cocama like the one in your blog.

Just when i thought my tank is getting stable, the filter spoiled.... after research i found out the problem is with the impeller. Making so loud noises.... bought it less then a month? haiz should be going to c328 polyart to buy since got my current filter at c328 florist, although cheap but... i wouldnt comment maybe just my luck. root of the problem as when soil is being disturb fine particles are being stuck near the impeller...

Problem now is how to transfer to the new filter without disturbing my tank cycle? most possibly not getting back the same model... or is getting the motor and impeller worth? i bought the boyu 2015 filter at $7

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just when i thought my tank is getting stable, the filter spoiled.... after research i found out the problem is with the impeller. Making so loud noises.... bought it less then a month? haiz should be going to c328 polyart to buy since got my current filter at c328 florist, although cheap but... i wouldnt comment maybe just my luck. root of the problem as when soil is being disturb fine particles are being stuck near the impeller...

Problem now is how to transfer to the new filter without disturbing my tank cycle? most possibly not getting back the same model... or is getting the motor and impeller worth? i bought the boyu 2015 filter at $7
    Those small hang-on filters have very little bio-media filtration area so they don't hold much beneficial bacteria anyways (it more for trapping particles and creating water movement), you also have to clean them more often or else they quickly get clogged up (check that large particles didn't get stuck in the impeller and jam it, use a sponge filter guard on the inlet tube to reduce the chances of that happening).

If you want to switch to another filter, i guess you could just get another hang-on filter and run it along side for a while too. You can try the Dophin H-80 hang-on filter, its a similar size and i use it for my temporary quarantine/hospital tank and so far it runs well and is very quiet.

Alternatively, if you want better long-term filtration with much more bio-media space, you could consider getting a small canister filter, like the Eden 501 or Shiruba XB301 (both around $40+), they cost more but can handle the bio-load better and keep the cycle more stable. There is also another small canister filter called the Boyu EF-05, similar design as the other 2 models i mentioned, its cheaper (around $20+) but with lower flow rate, i never used it before but looks like can work too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Those small hang-on filters have very little bio-media filtration area so they don't hold much beneficial bacteria anyways (it more for trapping particles and creating water movement), you also have to clean them more often or else they quickly get clogged up (check that large particles didn't get stuck in the impeller and jam it, use a sponge filter guard on the inlet tube to reduce the chances of that happening).

If you want to switch to another filter, i guess you could just get another hang-on filter and run it along side for a while too. You can try the Dophin H-80 hang-on filter, its a similar size and i use it for my temporary quarantine/hospital tank and so far it runs well and is very quiet.

Alternatively, if you want better long-term filtration with much more bio-media space, you could consider getting a small canister filter, like the Eden 501 or Shiruba XB301 (both around $40+), they cost more but can handle the bio-load better and keep the cycle more stable. There is also another small canister filter called the Boyu EF-05, similar design as the other 2 models i mentioned, its cheaper (around $20+) but with lower flow rate, i never used it before but looks like can work too.
    any idea what about ista HOF? and the price?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any idea what about ista HOF? and the price?
    I've used the ISTA slim 180L hang-on filter before too, costs around $13-$14? (can't remember exactly). Quite good and looks nice, has abit more space for bio-media (i removed the original filter cartridge and put in Seachem Matrix instead)... its relatively quiet, but not as silent as the Dophin H-80 though.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The eden 501 is a good filter, very reliable. Used it for my 4gallon before the upgrade. Quite small but i think it should be enough for your tank, filled mine with bio rings and sponge and still had space for a pack of carbon. Dont know where to get it though haha i got mine 2nd hand.
    Bucep poison runs deep

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Danialavr View Post
    The eden 501 is a good filter, very reliable. Used it for my 4gallon before the upgrade. Quite small but i think it should be enough for your tank, filled mine with bio rings and sponge and still had space for a pack of carbon. Dont know where to get it though haha i got mine 2nd hand.
    Thanks brother but i still prefer HOF type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Came back home saw a mosquito on my frogbits....

Had to use this for now....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395843494.806553.jpg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Came back home saw a mosquito on my frogbits....

Had to use this for now....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395843494.806553.jpg

SWEE. HAHAHA

where is your tank? cannot see it.. well camouflaged brother. well done. that army needs you.
    LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hehe uncle eric dont tease me leh
    No choice liao desperate man calls for desperate measures
    Will upload later cant upload via tap

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hehe uncle eric dont tease me leh
    No choice liao desperate man calls for desperate measures
    Will upload later cant upload via tap

haha... joking joking.. can get a juvenile guppy or endler to help control the larvae, it works!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395885522.967523.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395885529.646728.jpg

But i am goin to have shrimplets soon wont they eat them?

Side track abit is my metal filter guard able to prevent the shrimplets from getting suck in? (The inlet lead to a spinning wheel, haha got feeling of the finding nemo scene)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast