Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by wongwong View Post
    Attachment 40211Attachment 40212

But i am goin to have shrimplets soon wont they eat them?

Side track abit is my metal filter guard able to prevent the shrimplets from getting suck in? (The inlet lead to a spinning wheel, haha got feeling of the finding nemo scene)
    It's a trade-off i guess... either have one or two fishes to handle mosquito larvae (and maybe lose a few shrimplets along the way, let nature takes it's course), or have to just cover the tank and manually remove the larvae whenever you spot them.

That particular mesh guard you are using will let new-born shrimplets in (those really tiny 1-2mm ones)... i've used it before and still found shrimps in my canister filter.

If you want to prevent shrimplets from getting into your filter, use the gUSH brand mesh guard which is made from even finer mesh material, or use a sponge pre-filter guard made from dense sponge material (like the type used for sponge filters)... the only issue with these finer/denser inlet guards is they tend to clog up with dirt and detritus alot more quickly so you'll need to clean and unclog them more often.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

Latest update.

My berried mom gave birth! both at the same day happy for 1 week plus until yesterday......

i found mosquito in my room i decide to use bygone.... i remembered one of the brother's maid spray bygone in his room and his shrimp wiped out. Therefore i only dare to spray at far corners and at the floor. to my horror after spraying i think it some how got into the water.... causing all the shrimps and shrimplets swim like crazy in the tank!!

Thats the moment i knew i had a super terrible mistake...... i faster change 60% of water.... the next day i realise all adult shrimps are alive but all the shrimplets had died.....

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So sad to hear that. Remember to keep the insecticide away from the tank next time.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please ad...

Should had used the classical method of slapping the mosquito. Use your blood as bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

decided to clean up my tank bottom as alot of dead shrimplets, after finishing when i move the moss ball saw 1 shrimplet swim out!!!!! maybe thats the lone ranger~

when pasir ris farmway got a berried shrimp didnt drip long maybe just 20 mins...found her dead this morning haiz..... took out the eggs hope they hatch in the net....

My oto got from there also when transfering drop in to the sink!!!!luckly i open the bottom its still there~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i found mosquito in my room i decide to use bygone.... i remembered one of the brother's maid spray bygone in his room and his shrimp wiped out. Therefore i only dare to spray at far corners and at the floor. to my horror after spraying i think it some how got into the water.... causing all the shrimps and shrimplets swim like crazy in the tank!!

Thats the moment i knew i had a super terrible mistake...... i faster change 60% of water.... the next day i realise all adult shrimps are alive but all the shrimplets had died.....
    Yeah, usage of aerosol based sprays can be detrimental to shrimps in open top tanks, could be anything from cleaning solutions, polish, perfumes or even deodorants. Even if it was sprayed far away from the tank, the micro particles of chemicals could still circulate around the room and settle in the tank.

Recently i had a friend who was puzzled why the shrimps in his tank kept dying everyday, after checking and re-checking everything, he is ventually narrowed down to the spray deodorant he was using every morning. Once he switched to roll-on versions, the shrimps stopped dying.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The similar thing happend to my friend, water parameters all ok but shrimps keep dying...end up its due to her GF spraying perfume nearby his tank is the cause.

Well the lesson is...shrimps are sensitive creatures. ..

Wongwong, I think you should stop buying and monitor the condition first.

You can add activated carbon packs into the water/filter to absorb the poisonous substance for few week...monitor the current shrimps first before you add more shrimp and burn a hole in your wallet.

Remove the carbon after few weeks and you pour used the carbon into your pots as fertilizer/substrate...nothing is wasted

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Brothers carbon if i tell the lfs uncle they should know right? filter carbon or say something else? What about the white stone that remove ammonia or something like it?

previously when i change my filter the uncle recommend bio balls?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

anybody have any experience with the following?

-guppies frys, do they help eat up mosquito larvae and those small white worm? they are alittle bigger then the shrimplets size

-filter with surface skimmer, will they suck in the mosquito eggs or something on the surface? will shrimplets get suck in?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Brothers carbon if i tell the lfs uncle they should know right? filter carbon or say something else? What about the white stone that remove ammonia or something like it?

previously when i change my filter the uncle recommend bio balls?
    Yeah, just mention carbon for aquarium and the LFS will recommend you the suitable ones... just make sure to get the ones which don't release phosphates into the water.

Note that carbon only works for around 2 weeks, after that have to replace or change back to normal media. Carbon adsorbs everything, including ferts and nutrients, so although its good for short term removal of chemicals or medication, its not as recommended for long term use in planted tanks.

The white stone media is probably zeolite? That is a type of media thats designed to specifically absorb ammonia, some people use that if they need to control ammonia levels, usually due to high bio-load systems. It also has a limited lifespan (around a month), before needing to be replaced or recharged.

An alternative to zeolite is Seachem Purigen.

Bio-balls are another type of media, they are basically plastic balls with layers and grooves... they are cheap and usually used in large sump filtration systems, though not so commonly used in canister filters (most people use other types of bio-media with higher surface area instead).

anybody have any experience with the following?

-guppies frys, do they help eat up mosquito larvae and those small white worm? they are alittle bigger then the shrimplets size

-filter with surface skimmer, will they suck in the mosquito eggs or something on the surface? will shrimplets get suck in?
    Guppy fry will eat small white worms and mosquito larvae, even adults guppies will eat those critters. Though any fishes which eat small critters will also naturally see shrimplets as yummy snacks too (luckily shrimplets are faster than worms and larvae, so higher chances of escape).

Surface skimmers will suck in mosquito eggs and larvae, and also shrimplets too, so to prevent that you can put fine mesh or dense sponge around the skimmer head to block them from entering.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 7th Apr 2014 at 11:11.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wongwong, the activated carbon is sold readily in most if not all LFS...got cheap and got expensive ones...well no need to go for really expensive ones...get the one that suit your budget.

The media to remove ammonia ..zeolite something...it works to some extend but if your tank is cycled properly, you do not need them...I just bought them for trial and experiment...it needs to be recharge after some time ..haha

Bioballs? Don't waste your money, go for porous ceramic rings is good enough.

If you really worry, grab some small endlers...they are small but well, note that shrimps are food to fishes... only oto is shrimp safe...but for the sake of preventing mosquito, I have few endlers and a lot of hiding space for my shrimps

Surface skimmer sucks everything it can fit...haha... adult shrimps also may be sucked in... I put a filter sponge on the edge of the skimmer to prevent sucking of shrimps...but I feel the skimmer works less efficiently

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Carbon, can just walk into shop. go to the filter media section and scan for it.
    if not can give a shout to uncle "i want carbon." you will receive the finger of enlightenment, telling you where to go. LOL

why do you want to use carbon? activated carbon removes alot of things from the water..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha Uncle eric no choice... i scare the bygone still exist in the tank.....

If the skimmer sucks in shrimp...then no point i put it... cause i want to prevent mosquito eggs...

Do my tank have lots of hidding place? (i don't really think so...)
    Any ideas on adding hidding place?

can anybody help to ID my plants? i have labelled them for easy stating.
    7 - mini fissiden
    8 - marimo moss ball
    9 - Java moss
    photo.jpgimage.jpeg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Me no expert, but i try..

1 nana
    2 pennywort (braziliian?)
    3 java fern
    4 cannot see..
    5 looks like rotala (macandra?)
    6 echindorus quad
    7 - mini fissiden
    8 - marimo moss ball
    9 - Java moss
    10 hornworts
    11 looks like non aquatic moss to me.. not sure
    12 frogbit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

photo.jpg

Attached a bigger photo hope it helps

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like emmersed java moss. To know for sure, need to see one complete frond. And also know whether it's emmersed or submerged when you bought it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

decided to set up a simple outdoor tank after inspired by felix brother post.

just guppies oto and java fern. in the middle of the night reading AQ found out easily infest by algae outdoor decided to bring indoor.... so brought to toilet to wash the tank bottom as put with my father flower pot got alot of soil at the external of the tank....placed it at the sink resting on the tap... and it suddenly broke!!!!

2 am!!!! put all in a pail,lucky in the evening i scoop out the guppies as i preparing to breed only 1 colour so the tank only have 2oto and a betta (incase NEA check mosquito).
    but i cannt seems to find my betta!!! in the end found out that it had drop into the sewage hole throw food to lure and try to net but a rectanglur net in the deep sewage hole is....

intheend can see can not catch....lucky is $1 betta... but still....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Glass tank?

Alamak, the better jump out and went into the drainage?
    Sorry for your loss..

Sent from GT-N7105 powered by Temasek CM11
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, really bad luck bro.... maybe its a sign to tell you to get a bigger tank.....hahaha

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha brothers

although i live in tampines my school is at clementi so after work at expo area i will run down to clementi shop shop then go school. at c328 saw a 2 ft tank for $20 only! so tempted to buy but lecture and friends confirm say me.. so i request for help in facebook for a lift if i buy the tank. end up my friend give me his decomm 2 ft tank haha

going to start tonight maybe just bare tank and some java ferns first...until exam finish may add soil in..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast