Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi brothers

Cannot stop my jealously for the tanks you guys had set up, so i decided to get one of my own.
    I am a super noob in this area, I only got my knowledge here and through talking with the LFS shopkeepers. So please comment and advise on my new tank!
    I planning to have a tank with plants and maybe when cycle over put in some shrimps and neons, all equipment are obtain from 2 shops at C328

Tank size 30cm

Problems encountered
    -Did not foresee the plant will float, planning to use it to form carpet. In the end use stone to hold it down first, next day tie to wire mesh with java moss at the side

-Rock bought have the "$2" sign on it

Please feel free to give me your comments I still have a lot to learn from all the hidden dragons and crouching tigers here~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

cool i like, how much is that pack of soil? if u dont mind can sell me some the remainding of yours as i cannot finish such a big pack

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Decided to stop drooling at brothers tank and start one of my own~ (please advise

Read more about plants requirements and how to maintain them or you will end up going in circles... the plants on the right with a rock on top of it is HC, high requirement carpet plant.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... haha good effort for scaping... well everybody gonna start somewhere...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Base on my experience I had with Shrimp substrate (Borneowild), it kind of difficult to grow those HC also the substrate size is not ideal for HC as well.
    Good start though

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Brothers,

Currently i had took out the HC as it seems like what brother says it is really not doing very well and I shifted the left plant to the back, planning to save the space for a carpet. I had also added in 2 amano shrimps and 2 golden algae eaters (sorry i do not know their names).

Seem like some black stuff are growing on my leafy plant on the top center any solutions to it? more amano shrimps?
    (photo hours -8hours)

And any brothers know how to remove marker stain on my rock?
    Attachment 39806

Planning to get the mesh to form carpet from James Brother as well
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-Coconut-Shell

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi wongwong,
    to remove the stain, you can try some rubbing alcohol or gasoline, it should come off. but rememeber to wash it thoroughly before putting it back into tank..

Black stuff, is it hairy? if it is, you have some BBA. Pull it off and do a huge water change. reason is because the water parameters are off balanced, i think the nitrates are too high and the plants are not absorbing them.

another way is to take it out and spray some excel over the affected areas and leave for 1 or 2 minutes before washing it off.

From what i read, i think the tank is very new. not yet cycled. so best not to add any livestock into it. let the filter cycle first before adding. could take 2 or 3 weeks.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What are the shrimps that remove bba?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    What are the shrimps that remove bba?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Shrimps will only eat dead bba, off filter and spot dose affected area with excel. Dilute excel 1 :1 if you have shrimps nearly...best is to shoo your shrimps away or remove plants and spot dose outside the tank.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the number on the rock.
    3230 $5 big $5 small..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

to zerofighterx101 haha why did i not thought of that haha.
    Thanks wongce and Erctheanda for the info.

I am not sure if it will be hairy in the future, current state it just covers the whole leave.
    I was thinking 2 amano shrimps may not be enough i pass by C328 i got a bag of 10+1 free amano shrimp for $9 and 4 siamese algae eater for $2.
    to my surprise when I came home the 2 amano shrimp cleared out the all the black stuff on the leaves!!!!
    I also found a tennis ball size moss ball for $4~ always been hearing brothers bought it but always no stock

Attachment 39819photo 2.JPG
    I know Erctheanda brother also said wait for it to cycle but i really cannot stand the algae so opps. (1 died yesterday, so i fed it to my crayfish...)
    Attachment 39821

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Marimo ball is actually a form of algae, I had it for awhile and had its filaments spread to my other plants.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From my limited knowledge of marimo...its a different kind of algae

The filaments may spread but it takes very long time to grow...around 5mm per year. So if the whatever algae that grow fast in your tank is not marimo...but I do not exclude that marimo may have some hitchhiker algae...haha

Well don't worry about marimo spreading... it looks darn nice when flattened and used as lawn( give wongwong some tips and things to research online) lol

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi where did u buy the marimo ball for $4 from? can tell me i also want get.

the amano shrimp also. i went to c328 but cannot find amano shrimp. only got fire red shrimp 5 for $8,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aj5122003 View Post
    the amano shrimp also. i went to c328 but cannot find amano shrimp. only got fire red shrimp 5 for $8,
    C328 has bags of amano shrimps... they are labelled as yamato shrimps.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

does c328 sell marimo ball? i cannot seems to find.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

Brother aj5122003 marimo ball can be found at both C328 but Clementi Florist and Aquarium sometimes got the bigger size marimo, most of the time is only 3 to 4 cm diameter. My rule of thumb in LFS don't know ask, cannot find ask and want discount & freebies also ask. haha

Amano aka yamato shrimps are located at the back together with other crs, spot the slightly bigger bag ones. if cannot find ask aunty~

Brother wongce wa i just saw the moss carpet just one word nice~ but i let my tank and yamatos rest awhile first... had been itchy hand shift here and there the tank is always cloudy .

latest update: bought from Brother jamesneo his fissidens last night its nice~ got rid of the pearl grass and HC once and for all... may try them again when i have a new tank with equipments. Thanks James for being so steady and the fissidens are nice !!!

photo.JPG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thank tomorrow i got c328 find the marimo ball.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi aj5122003 brother when you bought the moss ball show it here! It is normally pack separated 1 ball 1 bag. so if u see all in a tank and it small it is not worth buying as $1 more can double the size.

Brothers can anyone advise on the following? (current tank: 11 yamatos)
    -topping up of evaporated water? should i use dechlorine tap water or buy mineral water to top up like some brothers sis in the forum
    -testing kit? Do i need one? if yes how much is one going to cost?
    -thermometer? any brothers can recommend one? i see those in c328 rang from $2 to $8 digital.
    -photo period. I understand some brothers split it in to 4hours 4 hours as inbetween it can exchange air~ but how do you guys manage? like i am working 9-6pm i only wake up at 8 and reach home at 7.....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongwong View Post
    Hi aj5122003 brother when you bought the moss ball show it here! It is normally pack separated 1 ball 1 bag. so if u see all in a tank and it small it is not worth buying as $1 more can double the size.

-topping up of evaporated water? should i use dechlorine tap water or buy mineral water to top up like some brothers sis in the forum
    -thermometer? any brothers can recommend one? i see those in c328 rang from $2 to $8 digital.
    -photo period. I understand some brothers split it in to 4hours 4 hours as inbetween it can exchange air~ but how do you guys manage? like i am working 9-6pm i only wake up at 8 and reach home at 7.....
    1)you can use tap water treated with anti-chlorine... age it for few days to play safe..
    2)Better to have test kit but each will cost you around 10 over dollars...cheapest ones are around 8 dollars...
    3)Thermometer..normal one good enough loh...hahah
    4)stick to 6-8 hours if your current timing suits you. For me, i use a timer to auto switch ON and OFF my lights, co2, air pump... hehe i am very hardworking person...

I seriously suggest you read up the articles in the link below... it will help you understand this hobby better

http://www.urbanaquaria.com/
    http://theplantedtankblog.blogspot.s...-yeartank.html

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongwong View Post

Hi there bro, your tank looks neat and its what i wanted too, too bad mine just started last month, on a mere 6" (15cm x 15cm x 15cm) marina cubus tank :P

I'm intending to upgrade to a 1ft tank soon~~

Thermometer: i'm currently using this thermometer which costs $10 @ c328 (but u can get it for $8 at the 24hrs PolyArt just next door)
    UP A-931 C&F Digital Thermometer

Wrtqhd4.jpg

nHrZ90b.jpg

Evaporated water: there's an indication of "minimum water line" on the top of my submersible filter, so every 2 days when i see the water level goes down beyond the min line, i would top up with normal tap water, like 1.5 cups of it. Seems fine though

Photo-period: Normally i on my light from 7pm - 11pm or 12mn before i go sleep, then the next day morning i on like 630am-715am before i go work. sometimes even longer

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast