fishes
    50 neon tetras
    1 cheap angel fish
    1 black widow
    6 red eye tetras
    2 SAE
    2 Striped SAE

Heres the problem

On saturday, i effected a total water change because earlier under the influence of my brother i added Tea into my tank because he said that doing so would increas the acidity of the water.

After the water change, the water is clear and the light seemed more effective. The only problem i had before the water change was that there was hairy algae, and the light didnt seem enough.

But recently the water had a slight green tinge. And today to my horror there is green algae on my front wall only. Nowhere else except the fromt wall. even the side wall where sunlight reaches has no algae.

What could the reason be? and why doesnt my SAE eat up the algae?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    Crazy high bioload you have there bro. Cut down on your tetras. Perhaps complete change of water had killed off what ever bacteria you had in your tank. This most probably triggered it off.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do a search on greenwater !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ive checked from a poster. Water turning green means algae blooming. Is there anyway to remove the algae?

Should i change the light tubes that i have, they are all the white spectrum kind. Previously i used warmer coloured light and there was no such problem.

how? buy more SAE?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Nothing else will help...

Do a 3-day blackout. Search the forum you will find some directions.

You should lower the number of fishes you keep in there. Otherwise, it will keep coming back.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what about buying those anti algae products? would it be detrimental to my fishes?. yah i think i will do a 3-day black out. My assessment of the problem is that now that the water is clearer (since there is not a brownish tint from the Tea) all the trapped nutrients are used to the max combined with the suppose higher intensity of light, by the algae.

thanks BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f23dd0a1db="Encriptic"]Crazy high bioload you have there bro. Cut down on your tetras. Perhaps complete change of water had killed off what ever bacteria you had in your tank. This most probably triggered it off.[/quote:f23dd0a1db]

I agree. The filter bacteria helps to convert ammonia to harmless nitrates. Now there is excess ammonia and therefore algae bloom. Can try more floating plants like Frogbits and Salvinia to help soak up the excess nutrients. They will also help block off some lights.

What size tank you got there? If small, good to reduce some bioload.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank is 2x1x1.5 around 54litres

so how?
    must i really feed my neons to my brothers siamese tiger?

haiz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think anyone mention abt the CO2.

It is really important, with that photoperiod, CO2 is a must.

You can try using DIY CO2 first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have used DIY CO2 already, bubbling at 1 bubble per second. i ahve reduced my bioload too and have not used fertiliser at all. Plus i have added more plants. Yet the water is still green... damn sian...
    now doing the i dun care see how it grows attitude bu tthen there is hair algae or maybe BBA...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you done the blackout?

Here's what I'd do.

1)Do a partial water change.

2)Cover the tank entirely with a blanket or something to totally block out the light. Don't turn on the lightings at all. Also, get a airpump going. Bubble air vigourously into the tank for the entire period of the blackout.

3) After the blackout period, do a water change again. The problem here is that your fliter is overburdened by the total water change. I'd try to add some more BB into the water, either by those commercial BB or some from another tank.

4) Resume your normal fertilisation, and start the lights at staggering rates, meaning start off with 4 hours, then 5 hours, then 6 and so on day by day.

5) You can also run down to your LFS and buy a Ultraviolet sterilizer. Should effectively get rid of the greenwater easily.

Good luck.