3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 injection with Seachem Excel against BBA

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am looking for fellow forumers whom are following EI method with CO2 injection and dosing Excel at the same time(concurrently) to share their experiences and their tank parameters including the amount dosed for Excel. Include information such as your Tank Size, the amount of light, Excel amount dosed and the number of times. Thanks.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CO2 injection with Seachem Excel against BBA

Extreme co2 fluctuation very likely turns bba, careful if your co2 cylinder is almost out. It might give unpredict co2 pressure with different value output.

My tank 3ft, 3-4 bps, 4x 39 watt hang15 inch above water surface. Excel in random time , quite lazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've tried spot dosing on algae. But it was some small patch of gba and a patch of blue green algae (okay not true algae but cyanobacteria) and it works. I'm running co2 but not EI dosing though. I dont think it would be much different cos of the mechanism of it killing algae, so it would most probably work too. Read some posts on other forums about this and some have tried and agreed with this theory of excel killing algae.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.. Okay.. I was just reading about it on the web. Many double dose on daily but I can't be sure if they dose the initial dose at Water change or not even the tank has CO2 injection. I was hoping to gather some feedback. I am just dosing about 1.5 times of the daily. Had BBA in tank, I think its because of the stray sunlight from the top which was uncovered
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did you trim your plant?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I suggest you get a syringe and spot dose onto the bba. I've read that adding excel to the water column would only work if you overdose but the term overdose is very vague and would definitely vary person to person. So i guess spot dosing would be better. Just spray over them and shout die bba die! Good luck haha

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeap. Currently doing spot dosing.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a quick word of caution - about using the Seachem Excel Flourish (500ml bottle). I accidentally overdosed (by alot) and killed everything in my 2ft planted tank. On Sunday, I was doing a 30% water change in my 2ft tank and for unknown reason (probably absent-mindedness), I poured 1 capful (5ml) into my tank (instead of only 1 ml). I was also using CO2 injection at the same time. Immediately, I noticed the fish surfacing for air and my otos did the strangest thing of trying to jump out of the water. Immediately did a 50% water change and I thought things would be ok. Unfortunately, 1 hour later - everything including my shrimps, corys and otos all died......my blackest sunday in my 10years of fish keeping.

To be honest, this was my first time ever using Seachem Excel Flourish and I had been using it for 3 weeks until last sunday.... painful lesson. (to be honest - nothing wrong with the product, I was able to get nice O2 pearling from my plants when I was started using it. But last Sunday, I just used it wrongly.)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jinduan View Post
    Just a quick word of caution - about using the Seachem Excel Flourish (500ml bottle). I accidentally overdosed (by alot) and killed everything in my 2ft planted tank. On Sunday, I was doing a 30% water change in my 2ft tank and for unknown reason (probably absent-mindedness), I poured 1 capful (5ml) into my tank (instead of only 1 ml). I was also using CO2 injection at the same time. Immediately, I noticed the fish surfacing for air and my otos did the strangest thing of trying to jump out of the water. Immediately did a 50% water change and I thought things would be ok. Unfortunately, 1 hour later - everything including my shrimps, corys and otos all died......my blackest sunday in my 10years of fish keeping.

To be honest, this was my first time ever using Seachem Excel Flourish and I had been using it for 3 weeks until last sunday.... painful lesson. (to be honest - nothing wrong with the product, I was able to get nice O2 pearling from my plants when I was started using it. But last Sunday, I just used it wrongly.)
    Actually, 5ml isn't too excessive for a 2ft tank.... the Excel instructions mention to dose 5ml for every 40L of tank volume after a large water change is done, then thereafter only 1ml per 40L of tank volume on daily basis. A 2ft tank should be well within those volume ranges.

I think the cause could be the water change dropped oxygen levels in the tank suddenly (fresh water direct from tap has higher Co2 content due to being pressurized in the pipes, and probably low oxygen) and with the additional higher Excel dosage it reduced the oxygen levels even further (along with Co2 injection being on at the same time), so the sudden big drops in oxygen levels and elevated Co2 levels caused immediate reactions and stress in the fauna.

Maybe next time let the tap water sit for a few hours to re-balance its oxygen content then do the water change, and only dose Excel a few hours later (or the next day) so that the oxygen levels in the tank get a chance to equalize and don't get depleted too suddenly too fast. Thats the routine i use and it has worked well, especially in tanks with higher bio-load (fauna in those tanks tend to be more sensitive to fluctuating oxygen levels).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Urban Aquaria

I "think I may have" solve the mystery two hours ago..... It is really neither the Excel Flourish or the fact that there is a sudden drop of O2 due to a change in water. It is something more sinister. Let me explain.

I was quite sad since last Sun. So I thought after a change in water of the deaths and letting the water sit for a day, I went to C328 to buy a few otos and fire shrimps to replenish. What I saw next astonished me.

After 30mins of letting the bags of otos and shrimps sit in the water, I proceeded with my usual procedure of topping up the bags with water from my tank to slowly acclimatize the fishes. As soon as I did that, I notice the same peculiar behavior of the oto struggling to get out of the water in the bag! Within 5 min, one of the shrimps had died. Immediately, out of panic, I poured water out and then topped up water from my nano cube fish tank. The otos immediately settled down. In fact, out of sheer panic, I poured the otos and the shrimps into the nano cube....... That was 2 hours ago. Now, they are happily in the nano tanks with the existing shrimps.

Immediately I knew there was something way wrong with the water.... my mum then asked me if I had washed the hose which I used to fill up my pails during the water change. She told me that there could have been bleaches in the hose because the maid used that to wash the toilet!!! I immediately slapped my forehead - because I remembered I stuffed the entire hose into the pail as I topped up the water to prevent the hose from jumping out..... I was quite sure there were traces of bleaches in the hose!!!

Anyway, I did 3 x massive water changes.... hopefully I had diluted enough of the bleaches. I will be doing this until Sun before I try to transfer back the oto from the nano cute into the 2 ft..... if the oto survived the transfer - then confirm it was bleach from the hose.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, residual traces of bleach or cleaning chemicals can affect fishes and shrimps very quickly... i remember a few months back i was preparing to do a routine water change when i detected a strange smell from the bucket, checked around and discovered my helper used it with detergent to wash the floor, luckily found out early and immediately changed buckets.

Nowadays i paste big warning labels on all my water change equipment and keep them in a cupboard so that no one else use it by mistake.

If its bleach that you think is the cause of the problems, then try adding abit more dechlorinator in the tank to counter the elevated chlorine levels.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, I think I am solved the mystery. I couldn't wait until Sun. So I did a 100% water change on Wed. Yesterday morning before going to work, I dosed with 5ml of Seachem Excel and reduced my CO2 (taking urban aquaria advice).

Last night, I put in 1 sakura shrimp from my nano tank into the 2ft. After 2 hrs, it was still happily swiming around. Then I transferred a few cories and oto into the tank. Turned off the lights and hoped for the best.

This morning they are still alive and looking normal. Now with the reduced CO2 and combo of excel, I will see if I have a formula against BBA.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk