Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Ceramic Bio Rings and Balls

Feedback Score

Ceramic Bio Rings and Balls

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, need some help and advise on this. Does anyone knows what is the difference between ceramic rings and balls ? I also noticed that for ceramic rings, they are two types, rough and smooth surface type. So what are the differences ? Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome on board AQ.

Basically there are 3 main purposes for using ceramic rings and bio balls.

1. Provide settling area for benefitial bacteria for breaking down of toxic stuff like amonia.The porous or "rough" ceramic rings provide the most surface area for bacteria to settle. Bacteria not only can settle on the top surface but also in the pores of the ceramic rings. The "smooth" type of ceramic rings have less pores and therefore less surface area and not so effective compared to the porous type. Bio balls also have lesser surface area compared to the porous ceramic rings. However, they are less susceptible from clogging and are usually us in more heavy-duty filtration, e.g. pond filters. This is usually the last stage or near the last stage of the filtration.

2. Distributing the water flow over the other filtermedia. Water flow is general faster in the centre compared to the flow near the wall. With ceramic ring or balls in the begining stage of the filtration, the flow pattern is broken up and you have a more even flow throughout the filter media. Usually, the non-porous ceramic rings are used for this purpose typically in a canister filter. Bio-balls, because of its size, can be used in larger filter system like the pond filter or sump filter.

3. Provide large contact area between the air and water. This is for the trickle type filter or the wet-dry filter, but not applicable for canister filter. Bacteria needs oxygen to breakdown the waste in the water. This filter system relies on large surface area of contact between water and air to aerate the water so that the bacteria can have sufficient oxygen for the waste breakdown. Usually bio-balls are used for this purpose. As water trickle through the balls, large contact area is created between air and water.

BC

Feedback Score
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Does the ceramic ring needs to be 'cleaned' once a while since it is porous? Can I add one more filter medium to serve as the same purpose as the ceramic rings and provide mechanical filteration at the same time ? Btw, I noticed that the smooth ceramic rings stated that it is porous on its packaging, so does that means actually it is 'almost' as good as those rough surface tppe ? Can someone pls help me on this. Thanks a lot.

Feedback Score
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Does the ceramic ring needs to be 'cleaned' once a while since it is porous? Can I add one more filter medium to serve as the same purpose as the ceramic rings and provide mechanical filteration at the same time ? Btw, I noticed that the smooth ceramic rings stated that it is porous on its packaging, so does that means actually it is 'almost' as good as those rough surface tppe ? Can someone pls help me on this. Thanks a lot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is better not to clean the ceramic ring as you may wash away the bacteria. If you really have to clean then you can wash it using your tank water. Tap water may contain chlorine that will kill bacteria or cause them to become mutated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3559ae0650="GreyMan"]Hi, thanks for the reply. Does the ceramic ring needs to be 'cleaned' once a while since it is porous? Can I add one more filter medium to serve as the same purpose as the ceramic rings and provide mechanical filteration at the same time ? Btw, I noticed that the smooth ceramic rings stated that it is porous on its packaging, so does that means actually it is 'almost' as good as those rough surface tppe ? Can someone pls help me on this. Thanks a lot.[/quote:3559ae0650]

The "rough" type should be better. Usually the "rough" type costs much more than the "smooth" type.

BC

Feedback Score
    just in case someone is still reading this post. I think the rough type of bio rings are more porous and very suitable for biological filtration. The smooth type are used to break the flow of water downwards in filters. The water flow is broken into trickles when they flow down or over the bio rings. Hope I am correct.