Country
    Singapore

What algae is this?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The green spot thing on my rock.
    It appear in small amount only. Looks like BBA, but it is bright green? Or is it just very thick GSA or some fungus with algae growing on it?
    Appeared overnight/morning when i change fertiliser from powdered to seachem series. It seems to limit itself onto this particular rock only, the rest of my tank seems fine and healthy.
    SAM_4518.jpg
    First time i encounter something like this haha. Is it good or bad? If it is slow growing and harmless i would not mind keeping it to deco my rock. Shrimps seem to love eating it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What algae is this?

Looks like green beard algae. I know many people who wants to grow and control them. Haha. Difficult to say it is good or bad. More of you like or don't like. I doubt the shrimps are eating it, they are just picking small small food stuck in it.
    To kill it, take the rock out , use hydrogen peroxide or excel or bleach to kill. But when using bleach, make sure to wash and putting it in running water to remove bleach traces.
    Inspired by Amano Limited by Yusof Ishak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm ok. does it appear because of unbalance? because i just changed fertilising style.
    Is it simply BBA that hasn't turn black haha? I will nuke that rock with h2o2 if it is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, its green beard algae (aka green fuzzy algae)... i usually have it covering the bare hardscape in my tanks too, they seem to enjoy the same conditions that your plants thrive in and will pearl actively when given enough light, nutrients and Co2. If you allow it to grow it will coat the whole rock or wood and stay short and neat, like a green felt carpet cover.

Its growth and appearance doesn't seem to be due to imbalance, on the contrary it tends to pop up in my tanks which are balanced and stable, where plants are growing well and there is minimal other algae. I almost come to treat it like another plant or decorative element.

Note that if there is any unbalance, then other types of algae like hair/thread algae will tend to grow on top of it (its possible for different algae to "piggyback" on each other or "fight" for space), so you still sometimes need to protect it from other algae taking over (ie. spot remove the hair/thread algae but leave the green beard algae alone, that will eventually help establish it as the dominant algae on the hardscape).

If you prefer to remove it, it can be killed just like other algae, just spot treat with Excel or H202, it'll turn white and then decompose away after a while. But it will still grow back in time too... kinda like moss.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 20th Mar 2014 at 19:57.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, its green beard algae (aka green fuzzy algae)... i usually have it covering the bare hardscape in my tanks too, they seem to enjoy the same conditions that your plants thrive in and will pearl actively when given enough light, nutrients and Co2. If you allow it to grow it will coat the whole rock or wood and stay short and neat, like a green felt carpet cover.

Its growth and appearance doesn't seem to be due to imbalance, on the contrary it tends to pop up in my tanks which are balanced and stable, where plants are growing well and there is minimal other algae. I almost come to treat it like another plant or decorative element.

Note that if there is any unbalance, then other types of algae like hair/thread algae will tend to grow on top of it (its possible for different algae to "piggyback" on each other or "fight" for space), so you still sometimes need to protect it from other algae taking over (ie. spot remove the hair/thread algae but leave the green beard algae alone, that will eventually help establish it as the dominant algae on the hardscape).

If you prefer to remove it, it can be killed just like other algae, just spot treat with Excel or H202, it'll turn white and then decompose away after a while. But it will still grow back in time too... kinda like moss.
    Oh i see. i will keep and observe if it is not a pest then haha. But any idea why suddenly appear after i switch fertiliser? Basic values NPK etc did not change. Did I coincidentally introduce some of its spores in?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's quite nice. If it doesn't bother you, keep it. Likewise for GSA on glass, I'll leave it . You can always kill it if it turns black, which Urban Aquaria mentioned.

There's a saying we can kill it if we know how we grow / create it . Therefore, no one really know how it show up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My experience green beard and black beard algae are different they do not interchange. It is like they are different species.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tatguy View Post
    Oh i see. i will keep and observe if it is not a pest then haha. But any idea why suddenly appear after i switch fertiliser? Basic values NPK etc did not change. Did I coincidentally introduce some of its spores in?
    Finding reason for a specific algae is like chasing a ghost. Only the gurus know exact what plus what give you which algae. One I know is shadow. So you know how experience you have to be to know.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha ok I will be keeping it then. and i shall point my h2o2 gun at it should it go astray

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nvr seem to get this algae.. poor me only bba not gba

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk
    Always there to help even if i can't i'll try my best to

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Somehow most of it disappeared when i woke up and my rock is back to normal 1 or 2 specks of it left .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What did you do?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nothing at all. Maybe it is just a transistent phase or something? it disappeared almost as fast as it appeared.
    I am using Seachem N,P and Trace. and EIHO Iron and Potassium for additional Fe and K.

2 SAEs,2otto ,about 40 or so cherries, 5 nitrite snails and 2 yamatos that were originally in my tank.

Originally using a mix of dry powder types

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This algae is not easy to grow because we grow plants and never able to grow algae. haha. It is beautiful

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha you are tempting me to try and cultivate algae now

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good chance your combination of SAE, shrimps and nerite snails cleared it... i noticed whenever i introduce those fauna in any of my tanks, the established green fuzzy algae will thin down gradually and i'll start to see bare patches appearing. Sometimes i'll spot an SAE literally pulling and biting off the algae too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Good chance your combination of SAE, shrimps and nerite snails cleared it... i noticed whenever i introduce those fauna in any of my tanks, the established green fuzzy algae will thin down gradually and i'll start to see bare patches appearing. Sometimes i'll spot an SAE literally pulling and biting off the algae too.
    i guess so haha. i added them in to control any potential harmful algae and eat dead leaves anyway. thanks for ID, time to do some algae googling and cultivation haha