Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tetra and shrimp in a tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 10 neon tetras, 5 lampeye killis, 1 nerite snail and just added 5 orange shrimps into my new tank last night.
    shrimps quite scared of the fishes and they found sweet spots for hiding lol... Will monitor for the new few days...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wuguidan View Post
    Hi all, im a beginner in keeping a tank. Just on sat, i bought some sakura shrimps and put into my nano tank with 2 lampeyes, 1 guppy and 5 endlers guppies. All looks ok, the sakura shrimps at first tend to hide but everything looks fine on sunday where the sakura shrimps came out and roam around the tank. The fishes do not disturb them.

Then yesterday evening, when i came home, i found a dead shrimp with blue black patches on the skin. And no shrimps nor fish is attacking it to eat it. What would be the likely cause of the death? That particular shrimp is the largest in the pack i bought and the colour is different from the rest of the sakura shrimps, it's red with little white spots.

Thank you very much for the advices.
    Could be poisoning? I had a shrimp death like that last few weeks and I found out there was an ammonia spike. Try testing your water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Y3H View Post
    Could be poisoning? I had a shrimp death like that last few weeks and I found out there was an ammonia spike. Try testing your water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking that could be the case, cause i add 5 endlers on sun. That could be the cause? Sudden increase in bioload? I will monitor the situation and ammonia.

Thank you very much for your help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One thing i learned so far death in aquarium comes in many form. Having perfect water perimeters but live stocks are dying ?

1. It might be already weak when you brought it home or it's time is nearing.
    2. When lights goes off and you are sleeping, you would not know what is happening in the tank, might be constant harassment by your fishes, those fishes you mentioned won't be that dramatic to swallow your shrimp whole, but it will do it's best to harass as they do see shrimps as food mainly because it's smaller than them, even guppies eat their own fry, that is nature.
    3. If it's ammonia the rest will follow suit, it won't be only one, it's not so dramatic once again that you put 5 endlers which are quite small and POOF ammonia rise like crazy and just a one shrimp die in that epidemic, unless they are having diarrhea at 10bps OR you did not finish cycling your tank which lead back to the rest will follow suit.

Even a healthy man might fall dead suddenly, no difference in the aquarium, still you have to make sure that your perimeters are totally fine before considering the above, it's like a "body checkup".

Hope i helped, quite bad at explaining my own theories sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Argentina

Oh, I had same issue. Spent a lot of time looking for answer to this question. Finally was able to find an article about shrimps and tetras together, but now I have experience to tell you.
    Tetras and shrimps will easily live together, you just have to maintain good aquarium settings like temperature, clean water, and a lot of hiding sports for shrimps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wuguidan View Post
    Hi all, im a beginner in keeping a tank. Just on sat, i bought some sakura shrimps and put into my nano tank with 2 lampeyes, 1 guppy and 5 endlers guppies. All looks ok, the sakura shrimps at first tend to hide but everything looks fine on sunday where the sakura shrimps came out and roam around the tank. The fishes do not disturb them.

Then yesterday evening, when i came home, i found a dead shrimp with blue black patches on the skin. And no shrimps nor fish is attacking it to eat it. What would be the likely cause of the death? That particular shrimp is the largest in the pack i bought and the colour is different from the rest of the sakura shrimps, it's red with little white spots.

Thank you very much for the advices.
    The larger adult shrimps will be fine. The smaller adult shrimps will also be ok so long as they are not swimming in the water column too near to the fishes as these smaller adult shrimps will be seen by the fishes as "food" and they will try to take a bite. Since you have all these in a nano tank, baby shrimps are always at risk of being eaten. Increase/decrease in the population of your shrimps is also dependent on the number/type of fishes and the size of your aquarium. For nano tanks, it is preferable to select species of fishes that truly do not "eat" your shrimp babies, e.g. otocinclus (algae eater), boraras/mosquito rasboras (timid and mouth too small).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can forget about breeding shrimps. but putting them together is ok. you will see the fishes keep harassing the shrimps.

For More Visit Here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12