Country
    Singapore

Question: White mucus thing on Discus body

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I got 6 discus and only one have it on its body. It looks slimy.

What to do with it?

Thanks...
    photo.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question: White mucus thing on Discus body

Bought Dr. Discus No. 2 - Fungus Cure. Will see how it goes. Hopefully they get cured.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

a bit of salt might help

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks.

Will need to buy aquarium salt just in case it does not get better in the next few days.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fishes have a defence mechanism where if under attacked by external substance, will produce a coat of slime to protect itself. This slime plays an important role in it's survival so it's not all bad news. If anything, it is a an indication to you that something is not right. It may be the water, or it may just be their own immune system weaken by some reasons and bacteria/parasite has invaded them. If it is only one piece, it is advisable to treat it separately and save the rest from unnecessary stress of treatment.

The first thing to do is to observe and see any wound which if not taken care of, may induce secondary infection like fungus or rotting which will complicate things further. If no wound can be seen, just help them to shed the slime and there are a few methods of doing it.

1) Improve your water condition. You can do regular water change(which technically is ceasing bacteria proliferating) with salt and put heater to 30deg.
    2) Use this substance called Potassium Permanganate to get rid of it. This substance is poison and can harm your fish so you need to be very careful administering this. What it does is oxidising substances and a light dose will see the slime fell off their body. Heater to 30 too for effective treatment. Once again I have to warn you to learn how to dose this chemical because everyone who has used this probably have stories to tell about how it killed their fish instead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Shrimpong.

After almost 24 hours under medication (Fungus Cure) they seem to be fine and active.

The infected fish is also showing signs of getting better. The affected area are now becoming lighter, the fungus are not coming back and it is very active now. The other fish are also fine and looking active. For now, I will just continue to complete the course of the current medication and observe.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

Now, I noticed another problem with another discus, it's feces is white stringy. After the current medication, I will do deworming. Which meds is good for deworming?

photo 3.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can try metro tablet for deworming. I use 200mg x 5 pcs for my 4'x1.5'x1.5' tank. For me most of the illness my fish face, i alway do water change 80% daily with aged water condition with bio stress guard for 7 days. (throw 2 table spoon aquarium salt while water changing) without adding any other chemical. 99% of the time will lead to self heal.

For pp wise, i advise you to dilute it first using 10g to 500ml of water. Personally, i use 3 small spoon to 1.5 liters of aged/boiled water (Just use drinking water easier) and store it in a coca cola bottle for future use.

Dosage wise use 3 cap of diluted pp (coca cola bottle cap) for 4 feet tank and for half hour to 45 minute. Follow by 90% water change using aged water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm doing water changes daily about 60% to 70%. However, I do not have the facility to have that much of aged water, so I use tap water and use API Stress Coat+ as anti-chlorine.

Will try to add a bit of aquarium salt when I change water tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by devxfrye View Post
    I'm doing water changes daily about 60% to 70%. However, I do not have the facility to have that much of aged water, so I use tap water and use API Stress Coat+ as anti-chlorine.

Will try to add a bit of aquarium salt when I change water tomorrow.
    your WC regime looks ok. I am using API stress coat also..so far so good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hopefully they get better soon. I want to add more!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like it was a successful medication. There is no trace of fungus left in the discus body. I will continue to do 70% WC daily for the next 3 days before dosing deworming medicine.