Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Peacock Gudgeon

Feedback Score

Peacock Gudgeon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tateurndina ocellicauda also known as Peacock Gudgeon anybody keeping it currently?

Thought about adding some to my 75 gallon plant tank. Figure it would add a real dimension....thoughts? Opinions? Experiences keeping them?

Thank you in advance...[/i]
    Jared

Hi Jared,
    I kept them for while and I even manged to breed them several times. They are easy to keep but there are some things you should know before you buy them. They on't eat flakes or other artificial food. They prefer live food or frozen food. The food should be small (Artemia, Daphnia, small blood worms etc.). They don't eat very fast, so it takes a while before they finished their meal. Please don't forget this if there are other fast-eating fishes.
    My pairs disliked guppies. They bited them several times. They also liked to bite my shrimps, so guppyies and smaller dwarf shrimps are not the best choice as a companion.

To breed them is easy. If you feed them enough live food, the female will get a fat belly full of eggs. The most difficult part is the place for the eggs. They like long, thight tubes and if there is a slow current - perfect. My pair prefered the outlet-tube of my bubbel filter. I gave them the same tube but without the bubbles of the filter ( so a second filter which was inactive)and they still prefered the bubbling filter. They swam very deep into it (it was the position where the foam-filter media is). They did this several times, although there were lots of other tubes and place to hide.
    The fries are very small. You can compare them with betta fries and it's good to keep and feed them like this. They grow not that fast but I guess it depends on the food.

best regards

Robert