Thread: Filter power

Feedback Score

Filter power

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Sometimes I really wonder is my water flowing rate too strong for my tank? Any general rules of thumb?[:] [:] as I can see quite a lots of 'particles' circulating within my tank round and round.
    The problem I faced is if I lower down the rate, the poor surface skimmer doesn't seem to be working or effective.

Dino

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    could u explain how yr outlet is flowing?horizontally across the length of yr tank.. r u using a rainbar?

Feedback Score
    Hi Simon,

What's a rainbar??? Is it the horizontal tube with a row of tiny holes for water outlet? I have that tube, come with the filter but I didn't use it, as I found the position is a bit awkward. I just let the water run to the tank from the tube.

Must I use the tube???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the skimmers with the plastic adjustor in the centre can be tuned
    even if you lower the flow, the suction can be adjusted for optimum skimming

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/26/2001 4:58:31 PM

Hi Simon,

What's a rainbar??? Is it the horizontal tube with a row of tiny holes for water outlet? I have that tube, come with the filter but I didn't use it, as I found the position is a bit awkward. I just let the water run to the tank from the tube.

Must I use the tube???
    ----------------
    Yah... that's the rain bar. It would be a good idea if you use it. It lowers the water agitation but maintaining a higher flow rate as compared without using it. What filter are you using anyway? If you're using an external, is there a valve.... this valve can be used to lower down the flow rate.

As for the skimmer, there is a rod thingy in the centre (if you look from the top). Turn it counter clockwise to induce a sucking effect at the surface.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    Yah... that's the rain bar. It would be a good idea if you use it. It lowers the water agitation but maintaining a higher flow rate as compared without using it. What filter are you using anyway? If you're using an external, is there a valve.... this valve can be used to lower down the flow rate.

As for the skimmer, there is a rod thingy in the centre (if you look from the top). Turn it counter clockwise to induce a sucking effect at the surface.
    ----------------
    I know there is this rod thingy in the centre of the skimmer and have been trying to adjust that, the problem is I can only have a small gap at the bottom of the skimmer inorder for the it to be effective to 'suck' in the surface water.[] []

Tonite I will try to attach the rainbar and see the effect [] []

p/s : I am using the Ehiem 2228, cannot turn on 'full speed' or else my plants, shrimps and fishes will experience a tidal wave

----------------
    p/s : I am using the Ehiem 2228, cannot turn on 'full speed' or else my plants, shrimps and fishes will experience a tidal wave
    ----------------
    How big is your tank? I'm also using 2228 at full speed and never experience the tidal wave. my outlet goes into the Denerrle cyclo turbo reactor.