Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Regarding my new filter system.

Feedback Score

Regarding my new filter system.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently bought a new external filter, and it consists 4 layers. I placed ceremic rings, bio balls, sponge filter and lastly carbon/charcoal satchet and amonia remover ball. Is my setup for the external filter ok or the carbon and amonia remover ball are redundant? I heard from my friend that carbon will neutralise certain nurtients in the water. Is that true? Pls advise. Thanks for the contribution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, carbon is irrelevant for a planted tank (and probably for a non planted tank as well).

its use is to remove excessive coloration in the water and medication.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Carbon will also remove the effect of liquid fertilizer. So i think it is wise not to put carbon in planted aquarium.

Feedback Score
    What about amonia remover ball? Can i put this? What's the best setup for an external filter? Can name me some of the stuffs? One more qns, my filter is currently running with the carbon inside, should i change the water totally or just take out the carbon satchet continue the filtering?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ummm... your plants needs the ammonia. If you are getting too much ammonia then:
    1. Your filter is not cycled/mature,
    2. You are over-loading or over-feeding the tank, or
    3. Your plants are being limited by lack of light, CO2 or other nutrients, (thus affecting their uptake for ammonia, nitrate).

Brief lesson in ammonia/nitrate in a planted tank:
    - Plants need nitrogen as a nutrient and obtains it from ammonia and nitrates in your tank.
    - Ammonia comes from uneaten fishfood, fish poo and rotting organics.
    - In a mature/cycled tank, the bacteria in the filter converts ammonia to nitrites (toxic to fish as well), then nitrate. The nitrite is practically undetectable in such a tank as the conversion is fast enough.
    - Plants consume some of the ammonia and the bacteria converts some of them. Ammonia is also practically undetectable if the production rate does not exceed the ability of the filter and plants to consume/convert it.
    - Plants are not greedy pigs (in a very simplistic view). They will not take up more ammonia then is required. So if there isn't enough light, CO2 or other nutrients for the plants to grow well, they will take up less ammonia.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:8c42c85905="Shaun-"]What about amonia remover ball? Can i put this? What's the best setup for an external filter? Can name me some of the stuffs? One more qns, my filter is currently running with the carbon inside, should i change the water totally or just take out the carbon satchet continue the filtering?[/quote:8c42c85905]
    Hi,
    I think you can include ceramic ring inside. There is many tiny small pore which allow bacteria to live in. You can just take out the carbon and dose some fertilizer in. If you want to play safe, change the water then dose liquid fertilizer. Hope if I am right.