Country
    Singapore

Deep tank base

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I've custom made a tank which is 3'(L)x1.5'(B)x2.5'(H). And I found out that although having a lightings of 250W for my tank is still not enough to have the oygen bubbling effect. Therefore I intended to raise my tank base higher so that the light can penetrate into my tank to provide sufficient light for my plants. Can someone advise how to raise my tank base? Please help.

Regards
    KEvin Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    with 2.5ft (H), i think you have to use MH. normal PL or FL can't really reach this depth unless you are planting low light plants. If not, lower the water level.

It will be quite difficult to raise the base if your tank is already fully planted.

Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My suggestion is to cut a piece of glass and place it inside the tank. Of course got to find something to raise this 'platform'. Maybe can use the PVC pipes and joints to constuct a stannd to raise it.

Otherwise, add gravels, I mean lots of it.

Just come to my mind. Those squarish rocks sold in nursery for garben display is an alternative.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a9430e4ce4="carlfsk"]My suggestion is to cut a piece of glass and place it inside the tank. Of course got to find something to raise this 'platform'. Maybe can use the PVC pipes and joints to constuct a stannd to raise it.

Otherwise, add gravels, I mean lots of it.[/quote:a9430e4ce4]

Kevin,

you have to make sure your cabinet is able to withstand the additional weight of the gravel. you don't want your room to be flooded right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kevino,

You have a tall tank . Btw what type of lighting you are using? In your case MH is a better choice as what Heuer has say. It can penetrate deeper. But it is very expensive especially the bill in the end of the month. If you don't mind the tidious work, you can by all mean increase the height of your base, stick the black tape, it will help cover up the unsightful height of the base

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To increase base, not sure if you can use styrofoam since it is light and firm? However, it would be very buoyant and not sure if the sand can hold it down.

Next option - not sure if can get some tank maker to cut off 0.5ft from the top to make your tank shorter.

Finally - why not be inspired by Oliver Knott's setup? His tank is 3.5ft tall. See http://www.pbase.com/plantella/malawi_tank
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ce517db08f="juggler"]To increase base, not sure if you can use styrofoam since it is light and firm? However, it would be very buoyant and not sure if the sand can hold it down.

Next option - not sure if can get some tank maker to cut off 0.5ft from the top to make your tank shorter.

Finally - why not be inspired by Oliver Knott's setup? His tank is 3.5ft tall. See http://www.pbase.com/plantella/malawi_tank[/quote:ce517db08f]

Thinking about using styrofoam also. Sand will be able to hold it down, a friend, being a first time owner of a fish tank actually placed the styrofoam "in" the tank instead on the meala stand on his 1st planted tank set-up, we really cracked-up when we saw it!

Been 2 years plus and the foam is still inside his tank but the plants are doing well!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1)Grow taller plants
    2) Fill only to 1.5ft, then reverse your plastic light holder thingies and let your light set hang instead of perch.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are going to empty out the tank and place styrofoam at the bottom, you can silicone it and it won't float up.