Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Angry Algae starting to form... Help!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Need help to control this algae, i dont have any fish yet and the tank is not heavily planted.

Also plants are turning brown. Some starting to melt.

image.jpg

Tank is 422 with

CO2 injection: 2bps (7am - 11am and 6pm - 10pm)
    Light: t5ho 4x54w (7:15am - 11:15am and 6:15 - 10:15)
    Ferts: BW essence k and seachem flourish.

I suspect low circulation and co2 distribution in that area.

Please help.

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Algae starting to form... Help!

I've read some forums that amano shrimps can help to eat and clear these. Which LFS sell it, would like to give it a try?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Age of setup? The algae looks like fungus to me,which is very common in newly setup tanks...(seeig the picture using my tiny iphone4s, might see wrongly as picture not very clear,paiseh if i see wrongly)

secondly your light setup is considered high, if you do not have high requirement plants or sufficient plants mass, you are just wasting electricity and growing more algae... More does not mean better, balance is the key.

well, most if not all plants will melt especially during conversion from emerge(in farm) to submerge form(in your tank). It will get better after few weeks.

If possible, share some full tank pictures, information like age of tank,type of soil, PH,ammonia level,nitrite level etc so its easier for others to help.

All shrimp eats algae, but if your tank is still cycling stage,add shrimp is considered as kamikazi mission.

Don't worry, a lot of helpful members here will help you...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Indeed those look like the typical white fungus that is found on new driftwood. At least from my iPhone 4 it looks like that... Don't worry it should go away in a couple of weeks.

As bro wongce mentioned, we need abit more information about your tank. Is it new, water parameters, any fauna inside etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes. It is new. Will need to get water test kits. No fauna at the moment. The PH based on the CO2 checker is 7.8. Not many plants at the moment. Will probably need to get fast growing stem plants. Any recommendation?

How to disable a bulb in my light? Should I remove the bulb completely or just turn a bit and leave it there?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the water PH is kind of high. what soil are you using?
    You will probably want to wait until the tank is cycled before putting in fauna.

For a 422 tank, your lights are ok in my opinion. if it is sparsely planted, you should start planting more.
    Should try to plant in some fast growing plants or hornworts/frogbits if you can. if not can ask around for it. if you are in woodlands i can pass you some.

background plants, since you have Co2 and about 2 watt per gallon lighting (assuming your lights are for plants), there are plenty are choices.
    probably check out tropica's web site for more pictures and details of the plants before buying.
    I am balding but i am still young!

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

....422 i did not read that part...haha...2wpg is a good enough..my bad to miss read that part... iphone4s really small...:P

hmm, tank a bit high...well it looks nice though... you just leave it as it is... normally it will stabilize soon...

your lights should come with a switch right? normally is 1 switch to off 2 tubes...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The light is 2 set of 2x54w. Only have one switch each. Yup will leave as it is and see in few more days.

added some stem plants also. Hopefully it does get better in few days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Added 3 algae eaters. They are doing okay and disturbing the fungus/bacteria on the wood. It's nice that it was taken out of the wood, but it goes flying around the tank which make it look more messy. Will give few more days and see.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yey, the fungus is almost gone!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats!
    Ants of the Aquatic World (Upcoming blog!)