Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Check out my office aquarium! (Also, I need help in identifying my fish)

Check out my office aquarium! (Also, I need help in identifying my fish)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

i am a newbie in fish keeping as my colleague and I recently set up a small office aquarium:

image.jpg

It is a pretty small tank that we got at the aquarium at sunset way about 2 weeks ago and it includes a pump, under gravel filter (though I found out later that it wasn't a real filter underneath but just a space below a raised filter platform to put sponge...) the white gravel and a tank light. The tank is made of glass.

The whole tank is connected to a power socket to circulate the water and all! We are still pretty new to this so if there is any way we can improve our tank and keep our single fish happy swimming in it, please do let me know.

Check out our fish! My dad got this fish I dk from where and I have no idea what species it is..can anyone identify Nemo? He is quite active and is doing quite well especially after the water change.

image.jpg

We tried getting a small tank mate for nemo, a beautiful guppy but he was really territorial and nipped off the beautiful tail and killed the tank mate :(

any advice would be really appreciated! Should we get plants and all for our tank? What can we know more of our mystery fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Check out my office aquarium! (Also, I need help in identifying my fish)

That fish is a red eye tetra. Aggressive type. Swims fast and vicious teeth.

Plants are good to have as it helps to reduce ammonia/nitrites/nitrates thou you still have to do water change monthly. I would recommend Anubias Nana Petite or a few stalks of Japanese hair grass .

I hope you did dechlorinate the water as it contains chlorine and chloramine which will harm the fish.

Lastly I think a Betta also known as fighting fish would be better if you are intending to keep a single fish. Or 2 male guppies max
    Last edited by Naraki; 11th Apr 2014 at 10:53.
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nemo is a Balloon Tetra. I had some before and they are nice and gentle little fish to have. You must not put two different types of fish alone together. The best thing to do is to get six of these Balloon Tetras, preferably the round body type rather than the type you have, as they are more cute, and they will soon become very nice pets in a group. They are nice to feed as their eating style is unique.
    46156.jpg
    Last edited by tetrakid; 11th Apr 2014 at 11:55.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes Nemo is a red eye tetra.
    Yes it gets nippy sometimes.
    The tank is too small, don't get anymore friends for it.
    If Nemo doesn't make it and you want to try again, I suggest a betta or a few wild guppy.
    If you want plants, buy Java Fern or Anubias (Nana).
    Clementi Avenue 2 Blk328 is a good place to look.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes definitely is a red-eye balloon tetra...I also have a mini tank on my desk with 1 of this tgt with a platy....initially the tetra keeps bullying platy but now it's the other way round!
    Relatively aggressive little fish and very responsive when u feed it!
    Nice tank you got there...anubias or java ferns will be good as they are easily maintained with low CO2 requirement...get a few more of these tetras (2-3 more) should be fine

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nice tank!
    your colleague don't look too happy holding the pen for you though. LOL

for plants, you can consider petite nana. do what urban aquaria did, to glue small petite nana stalks (divide a big stalk into 2 or more stalks when you buy them from LFS) to pebbles. fill the ground with it and you have green pasture! not to mention, you can then remove that green plastic tree.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Thanks everyone for being so supportive and responding so quickly!

I finally know he is a balloon red eye tetra hahaha I thought he was a mini pomfret or something cos he really looks like a tiny pomfret. Yes, I changed his water after dechlorinating it with a tap water conditioner! I learnt it the hard way when 2 guppies went belly up when we used tap water ( I have a little container of dechlorinated water ageing in my office for the next water change hahaha!

I dk why but the guppies I got always end up dying, either cos of the water, or it died near the pump (I suspect they were sucked in, but idk why the pump is so strong!!) so far, nemo has been our pet for about a week and going strong. My dad got 3 tiny neon tetras together w nemo as tank mates (got together from a same aquarium) but they all died except nemo, despite the same water quality and the same food!! Nemo basically snapped up all the food we fed the 4 of them I guess he will do well as single fish!

May at I know if nemo will grow larger than his current size?

Thanks for all the plant suggestions!! I will be sure to check it out at the aquarium. Would it be recommended if I get a few tank ornaments for him to explore given the tank size and that he is alone in the tank? Is the sponge I put under the gravel (there is a raised platform with holes above which I put the white gravel)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by theofficeaquarium View Post
    Thanks everyone for being so supportive and responding so quickly!

I finally know he is a balloon red eye tetra hahaha ..... they all died except nemo, despite the same water quality and the same food!! Nemo basically snapped up all the food we fed the 4 of them I guess he will do well as single fish! May at I know if nemo will grow larger than his current size? .....
    These Balloon Tetras are are cute little creatures which are able to gobble up a lot of pellet foods. They are happier to be in a group of 5 or 6, as they are shoaling fish. They are easier to keep than guppies or platys. Although they don't have much colour except their red eye rings, they are wonderful fish and do not die easily. Their beautiful metallic silver body makes up for their lack of colour. For you size of tank, keeping 5 or 6 of them will be ideal. After all, they cost only about a dollar or so each. But try and get the cuter round body type and not the long body type (there are 2 types).
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!