Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Low-tech (non-CO2) tanks post your pics!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ah^siao
    nice tank wild ginger. wad's the hair grass look alike plant? the long long thin thin one
    Should be tenellus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiesheng
    nice tank there consisting of only narrow leaf java ferns. however i think you should remove that garden pebble. a bit out of place it is.

Maybe you can consider using e. tenulluss to cover the left fore ground. with or with out, its your choice because i think the tank looks peaceful albeit with "murky" water (photograph?)
    Thanks bro. Its a half hr rush up job for my wild betta sudden arrival.
    Most of the javas a attached w dwood, so just shift here n there. heheh
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by xxdivinityxx
    With such a strong Halgen over it, if i don't change water everyweek i'll start to have green dust on my glass. Do you think i should stop?
    Maybe can adjust the light higher if you think too strong. I have used 9W or 10W bulbs just over the 1ft cubes. So far no algae on glass. I also have floating plants to block some light if I think too strong.

Can also ry some otos to help remove algae.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Koah Fong,

I've extended the lights as high as they can go, seem pretty alright to me.
    Halogens seem to be alot stronger than ordinary incadescent bulbs, might be wrong here.

The only floating plant available where i am is duckweed and i've had my fair share of trying to clear them out, i doubt i'll be placing them back there again.

I've got some bristlenoses in there to clear the algae if present, but i guess i'm doing water changes in fear of any algae outbreaks. These cubes are fragile ecosystems, and a slight inbalance brings it haywire. So i guess i'm just playing it safe.

Btw, nice photography portfolio you got there. Impressive!

wow...all these look really nice...
    If u are Out to Describe the TRUTH, Leave elegance to the tailor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ah^siao
    nice tank wild ginger. wad's the hair grass look alike plant? the long long thin thin one
    That's hairgrass but the longer version ones.

juggler Philip: Good idea of using suckers to hold the twigs! The twigs don't look like driftwood. Will they rot over time? Keep us updated.
    Thanks, initially i was playing around with the idea of having something to hold them there cause i wanted to emphasize on the height of the tank. Those twigs will not rot over time. If your water parameters are a little acidic, it'll just be preserved in that state over time. Initially there'll be white coating on the twigs but soon after when there's stable biological matter in the water, it'll disappear. Will try to post a pic of it soon.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Austria

some low-tech tanks

here's a couple of my low tech tanks. Not much really. The "nicer" one was done with just java moss and riccia. Bubble co2 through a tube once in awhile to keep the riccia fresh. Added a couple of malaysian shrimp and got one SAE. Originally got 3 but one died and the other jumped out within 2 days. But the one left seems happy now. And got 2 zebra danios and i snowmounyain minnow. change water once a week. 18W lamp. Atman Internal filter. The other "budget one" just some moss and some funny looking plant i dunno what to call. It's a small tank. No lighting no CO2.

comments .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Austria

moss...

how you alll grow your moss so well? I waited almost a month and my moss hardly grew. Even added Co2 and light. But my riccia seems to be growing very fast. How how???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    have been very inspired by bro joe's low tech setup ever since the starting of this thread.. bud have not been logging into AQ for a long time.. yet memories of this tank still in my mind... and i've finally made my own design, quite based of bro joe's setup...

plants include java moss on 2 big pc of DW, covered up most of my 1.5ft tank. some small leafed nanas, afew crypts n windelov.. and of cos the hairgrass that needs high lights. base ferts. CO2.

i've been using 30W FL lite wif reflector.. no base ferts but wif a hell lot of root monster. n DIY CO2. my concotion doesn't to work yet. though i see small little bubbles produced from my DIY "alcohol" haahahas..

can any brbos out there share ur concotion wif me?..

btw, about the pix, my digi cam's currently dwn, hopefully can get hold my friend's cam when he drops by.. heex..

cheerios everyone

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Update of my jungle low-tech tank...

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    Update of my jungle low-tech tank...

BC

looks great.. no ferts? no CO2?!??!! whao!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNd08
    looks great.. no ferts? no CO2?!??!! whao!
    No CO2. A little KNO3 and traces once in a while.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my 3ft moss tank

Here is my 3ft low tech tank. Just started for 6 weeks.

tank: 3 X 1.5 X 1.5
    light: 2 X 36w 6000k
    filter: internal filter
    co2: none
    fertilizer: few drop of trace element and PO4 + KNO3

Java moss wall at the back, taiwan moss on big DW (left) - move from 4ft tank which previously not grow well and look dark, after 2 week the moss turn green n grow well. Taiwan + weepeng moss on small DW at center and right site.

Tiger lotus at right side + some rotala and etc.... hornwort and some floting plant floating around.

E. tenellus and Crinum calamistratum on the foreground.

I notice hornwort grow very nice in none CO2 tank, the space inbetween each level of leaves nearer and look green.

Basically I setup this tank just to try what plant can survive without high light and CO2 and I will keep on adding new plant like Java fern, nana and will post new image soon.
    Last edited by hii; 22nd Jun 2005 at 10:17. Reason: pic link problem

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My no.3 tank

Hi... This is my non-CO2 low tech tank a couple of months ago... Used to introduce CO2, via the manual method (yeast), but not doing anything now... Now, the moss had grown to more than double the amount shown and the background could hardly be seen... Moss also killing Java Fern... Fauna includes ~10 Dwarf Rasboras, a couple of Yamato shrimps and newly included Red Crystal shrimps. Having a problem with snails infestation, though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i love snail

Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Hi... This is my non-CO2 low tech tank a couple of months ago... Used to introduce CO2, via the manual method (yeast), but not doing anything now... Now, the moss had grown to more than double the amount shown and the background could hardly be seen... Moss also killing Java Fern... Fauna includes ~10 Dwarf Rasboras, a couple of Yamato shrimps and newly included Red Crystal shrimps. Having a problem with snails infestation, though...
    Hmm my low tech tank have more than 20++ snails and I truly love it ... it doesn't eat my plant at all .... only saw them eating dead leave ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hii
    Hmm my low tech tank have more than 20++ snails and I truly love it ... it doesn't eat my plant at all .... only saw them eating dead leave ...
    Well, I dun mind the snails, just that I have alot of the Pouch/Tadpole snails and they dun look good. They seldom molest the plants, though. And the baby ramshorn dot the glass a little too much for comfort. I dun molest them, just let them survive naturally... Hopefully, with the increase shrimp population, the snails will be out-competed for food...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNd08
    have been very inspired by bro joe's low tech setup ever since the starting of this thread.. bud have not been logging into AQ for a long time.. yet memories of this tank still in my mind... and i've finally made my own design, quite based of bro joe's setup...

cheerios everyone

thanks for the compliment do show us ur tank real soon ok?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    just wanted to update a new pic of my 6 gal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1 foot cube courtesy of Philip Wild Ginger.

It is about a week old. Taiwan moss, C. Balansae, Java Fern, anubias sp, tenulluss.

will take better pic once the thing grows in.

No filter and 13 watt clip on
    Last edited by gregorsamsa; 7th Mar 2006 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My 1 feet tank, around 1 month old.
    What Has Ended Marks A New Begining

Feedback Score
    this is a nice set up...... wat r those plant in the foreground?

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast